Mtb or motorcycle helmet?

If u get hit by a car u want the best Full face motorbike helmet u can get. But most Euc crashs are likely to be falls moving in a forward direction with a chance of a faceplant. Ur choice of helmet should reflect the riding u r doing. Low speed skills practice maybe a bike or mtb helmet.High speed on bike paths a mtb with mips.Road riding with lots of cars may suggest a motorbike helmet and body armour.Dont neglect the rest of ur body as there plenty of examples of good riders going down.Its not a matter of "if", its a matter of when.

• Upvote 1

We had this discussion in some thread lately (it was off the original topic, so no idea where) and the result was that some serious motorcycle helmets might be too strong/too hard and actually be detrimental in a typical crash. So unless you're very concerned with cars specifically, I'd say in doubt EUCing is closer to MTBing than motorcycling. Google "mountainbike vs motorcycle helmet" or something similar.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

the result was that some serious motorcycle helmets might be too strong/too hard and actually be detrimental in a typical crash.

The Snell standard allows a needlessly high peak G, which the DOT (and other standards) obviates by specifying a maximum allowable peak G dwell time. Basically, you get knocked out while your helmet has no perceptible crush in its EPS liner, but newer helmet designs get around this almost entirely by specifying two EPS densities, and wrap in inside a flexible hard shell instead of the rigid fiberglass shells of yore.

I think all the new motorcycle helmets are just great, if they meet the following:

--Dot or Snell, with dual densities (which is practically all).

--EPS chin bar.

--The very standard visor, which is shatter proof and must meet DOT penetration of sharp objects standard.

Which is to say practically all full face modern helmets are the most sensible buy.

One big reason not to buy those stupid MTB helmets or motorcross helmets is because they don't have visors that stop penetrating objects, and at the consistently higher speeds of EUCs you need that penetrating protection.

MIPS just seems to be a safety buzzword, to convince you to buy bicycle helmets that don't work very well in the first place. If you make a helmet that's not a billiard ball, and then stick MIPS inside it so when protuberances catch the ground when you fall, then that's an excellent indication your helmet design sucked in the first place.

• Upvote 2

I picked up a Fox Proframe downhill MTB helmet. Its super light and has plenty of ventilation for summer riding. So far I am pretty happy with it and I feel safer and thus more comfortable riding. 

It is a pretty common helmet for EUC riders from what I have seem on this forum. I know a few locals who also have one. 

https://www.evo.com/helmets/fox-proframe-bike-helmet

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2019 at 9:26 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

We had this discussion in some thread lately

I think that discussion was here? 

I got a motocross helmet, and it was huge, heavy and hot compared to the Proframe--I sent it back. It seemed like overkill. But safety is a good thing! One problem with living in Florida is that overheating is a real problem.

Edited by erk1024
added text
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, erk1024 said:

I think that discussion was here? 

I got a motocross helmet, and it was huge, heavy and hot compared to the Proframe--I sent it back. It seemed like overkill. But safety is a good thing! One problem with living in Florida is that overheating is a real problem.

What helmet did you go for then? Mtb full faced? Do you think that will suffice?

I have the Fox pro frame and its a beautiful helmet with lots of adjustments.Bought a full face MTB helmet because its airy,light and gives excellent protection from blunt force trauma to the face and head which is what most motorbike,bike and euc riders get and not penetrating traumas. 20 years of scraping up all types of riders in my job as an ambulance officer gives me confidence in my choice these are a good safe product for the riding I do on and off road.