Video - Airwheel F3

John Eucist

Some product developers forget that there is rain... with a tire open like this you cant even ride on wet surface without getting your pants sprinkled with dirt and moisture.. it just limits its practical use very much. Then, did they not read the feedback on the ninebots handle, to make the same mistake?

Please explain what's wrong with the handle

Hi @Hans-Peter Lehmann, welcome to the forum!

The handle on the ninebot 1 is neither very practical nor durable. It's a pain carrying that beast, it does not allow easy attachment of a training belt and it breaks quite easily (so did mine). Don't know enough about the F3 design details to tell, if it's handle suffers the same design flaws.

• 3 weeks later...

What @Tilmann said. ^_^ Luckily the F3 has another hole where you could leash through a cable lock. You cannot conveniently lock up a Ninebot when leaving it parked somewhere. (The App lock function is not working in real life)

Depending on where you live it may not be that wise to lock anything worth over $500 outside:D

"Fun"fact: I locked my last bike (over 20 years ago) on a rack together with other bikes. The thieves had simply brought some kind of truck and just took the whole rack:D

In my (limited) experience, having sufficient space under the pedals is crucial for the performance on any kind of rough surfaces. Even going down a curb in angular (i.e. not rectangular) direction looks pretty problematic with this kind of design. What am I missing?

Okay, I made a mistake - this is also a 16-inch and it won't be feather-light!  Same tire size as Ninebot One after all ... therefore weight comparison may be similar - let me look them up.  Okay, nearly 5 lbs difference - not as much as I thought but still a big difference (if F3 specs are correct) - the weight difference is Ninebot is +18% heavier (14.2kg vs 12kg)

there - just wanted to correct my previous assumption.

@vee73 are you going to get one?  :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The F3 looks modern and nice, but I also think it's not well thought. A big advantage of all the other Unicycles is, that you can move the pedals away and make the device small, for storing it in your car or elsewhere, or just when carrying it... But the F3 is always big and a little clumsy... 

The Airwheel F3 looks to be pretty much a copy of the Fastwheel Ring Unicycle (or vice versa). Both must use a small brushless motor driving a planetary type ring gear around the inside of the wheel rim: 

Due to the motor being seperate from the wheel the big block foot peddles become a necessity to hold the motor, they, of course can then hold the batteries and controller allowing the rest of the wheel to by quite minimalist.As @Jag_Rip said the Airwheel design will throw water everywhere, in that respect the Fastwheel ring is better designed and much more aesthetically pleasing ( as is their model riding it ;-) )

This design does result in a big wheel (18" for the Fastwheel ) with very light weight but that is the only advantage I can see to it, they both feel like an invention for the sake of it. The negative points look like way outweighing the positives including (IMHO):

? Rider higher and less stable

?poor ground clearance off kerbs and turning

?Potentially loud gear noise as using straight cut gears, loud motor noise as well as it has to be very high reving

?Potential high gear wear, difficult to keep dirt and water away from them and the bearings.

?potential for gears to break, the high gearing of the motor results in high feedback 

?Small area for battery so small battery?

?Cumbersome to carry with fixed foot protrusions 

?Footplates look very narrow even with what looks to be a very dainty girl riding the Fastwheel.

?The motor has to be able to handle being stalled (I.e. When starting to move) the higher the max RPM of the motor the higher the stalled current has to be, the smaller the motor is, the less able it is to handle high current (limited wire thickness, limited heat sink) That means that maximum RPM has to be limited and it is heavily geared down, maximum wheel speed has to be significantly lower than a conventional EUC's large hub motor.

I'm sure that isn't even close to an exhaustive list - can anyone think of anymore plus points other than light weight for its size?

https://www.solowheel.eu/innovations/

the idea of the F3 design seems to be stolen from "Solowheel" ... First I thought what a crazy new idea from airwheel (beside the problems this design brings with it).

But at the solowheel website you can see a "Solowheel"  prototype from 2013 named Orbit which looks like the F3... 

But maybe SW knew why they only made a prototype ;-) 

And even the twinwheel is an idea named Gyrotrax from "Solowheel"(2011)  as you can see on this link. 

1 hour ago, bego1969 said:

https://www.solowheel.eu/innovations/

the idea of the F3 design seems to be stolen from "Solowheel" ... First I thought what a crazy new idea from airwheel (beside the problems this design brings with it).

But at the solowheel website you can see a "Solowheel"  prototype from 2013 named Orbit which looks like the F3... 

But maybe SW knew why they only made a prototype ;-) 

And even the twinwheel is an idea named Gyrotrax from "Solowheel"(2011)  as you can see on this link. 

Yes, but I think Shane Chen was credited with invented the wheel as well (LOL).

• 3 months later...

So are we going to see this airwheel F3 one day ?

I think it was supposed to come out 6 or 8 months ago ! and now ... no news ... so far on my side !

Do you guys have information about it ?

Archived