miniPLUS Downhill Lean-Back into REVERSE V1.1.7

Michael1953

Experienced miniPRO (2000 miles) and miniPLUS rider (200 miles) just purchased TWO NEW miniPLUS to replace my original (SN under 80 I've had 13 months) that I "thought" was BROKEN following Main Board Firmware Update to V1.1.7.    (Started scaring me - on perfect surface cruising speed started 'side-to-side slight shimmying - hoped the Update might fix.)   (Updated perfectly, tire inflation, rider-weight, batteries 'all perfect'.)

NOW EVERY downhill slope (ANY angle, ANY speed except dead-slow) the miniPLUS squawks alarm and LEANS-BACK-STOPS- REVERSES back UPHILL several inches, then releases control back to the rider - IF the victim - er, I mean "rider" manages to remain onboard.

SEE the 2-minute Video:

FOUR Lean-Backs in TWO MINUTES !!!   NOT edited, REAL TIME, various slopes, various speeds.

NO difference if in Learner Mode, if Auto-Steering & Auto-Ride ON or OFF.    I have NOT yet discovered how to install an earlier Firmware - would greatly appreciate such help !!!

Original Text:

Previous Main Board Firmware versions ran fine, BUT UPGRADING TO - or Factory Delivered WITH "V1.1.7" riding down ANY slope at ANY speed (except DEAD SLOW !!!) EVERY TIME the miniPLUS complaint-squawks HARD LEAN-BACK - STOPS - ACTUALLY REVERSES a short distance, then releases control to the rider - IF the rider manages to remain on board - a BIG Quite Difficult "IF" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tho the wind noise is annoying - the Segway / Ninebot complaint / alarm "squawks" can be heard "Sensors" are in the App pages Title for "Automatic Steering Sensitivity Adjustment" and "Automatic Riding Sensitivity Adjustment". (switched ON or OFF) And to be clear - this video is a continuous 2-minute segment of ONE RIDE, NO EDITING! FOUR Lean-Back-STOP-Reverses - identical screwed-up behavior by my 'old' miniPLUS (serial # a bit under 100) and the brand NEW miniPLUS (serial # under 1000). Is the Factory / Firmware Developers all located in "FLATLAND" ? NO hills to TEST their products???

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take a guess here. It's a new safety feature that's implemented. Given that the motor is not the strongest out there, they are probably detecting the hill and forcing the wheel to slow down and reverse a bit just to ensure that it has the braking power to allow you to continue down the descent safely. I'm going to guess that if you are on a steep enough incline that the wheel is unable to do the "reverse" it will alarm and kick you off. This is just to prevent children and young at heart adults from being in a situation where the wheel is not able to maintain a safe operating status. Given that Segway is a trusted name brand in the US (prior to the Ninebot buyout anyway) I am guessing they want to maintain their "safety above all else" campaign.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, Michael1953 said:

Experienced miniPRO (2000 miles) and miniPLUS rider (200 miles) just purchased TWO NEW miniPLUS to replace my original (SN under 80 I've had 13 months) that I "thought" was BROKEN following Main Board Firmware Update to V1.1.7.    (Started scaring me - on perfect surface cruising speed started 'side-to-side slight shimmying - hoped the Update might fix.)   (Updated perfectly, tire inflation, rider-weight, batteries 'all perfect'.)

NOW EVERY downhill slope (ANY angle, ANY speed except dead-slow) the miniPLUS squawks alarm and LEANS-BACK-STOPS- REVERSES back UPHILL several inches, then releases control back to the rider - IF the victim - er, I mean "rider" manages to remain onboard.

SEE the 2-minute Video:

FOUR Lean-Backs in TWO MINUTES !!!   NOT edited, REAL TIME, various slopes, various speeds.

NO difference if in Learner Mode, if Auto-Steering & Auto-Ride ON or OFF.    I have NOT yet discovered how to install an earlier Firmware - would greatly appreciate such help !!!

Original Text:

Previous Main Board Firmware versions ran fine, BUT UPGRADING TO - or Factory Delivered WITH "V1.1.7" riding down ANY slope at ANY speed (except DEAD SLOW !!!) EVERY TIME the miniPLUS complaint-squawks HARD LEAN-BACK - STOPS - ACTUALLY REVERSES a short distance, then releases control to the rider - IF the rider manages to remain on board - a BIG Quite Difficult "IF" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tho the wind noise is annoying - the Segway / Ninebot complaint / alarm "squawks" can be heard "Sensors" are in the App pages Title for "Automatic Steering Sensitivity Adjustment" and "Automatic Riding Sensitivity Adjustment". (switched ON or OFF) And to be clear - this video is a continuous 2-minute segment of ONE RIDE, NO EDITING! FOUR Lean-Back-STOP-Reverses - identical screwed-up behavior by my 'old' miniPLUS (serial # a bit under 100) and the brand NEW miniPLUS (serial # under 1000). Is the Factory / Firmware Developers all located in "FLATLAND" ? NO hills to TEST their products???

What % battery were you riding at