People staring and asking questions... part and parcel?

Cronikk

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, Cronikk said:

Greetings Eucrthlings,

I have perused this forum many-a-lonesome nights, for about a year.

I have a Ninebot ONE S2 for about 6 months - upgrading to a MsuperX in the next 6.

One thing though, regarding the general populous: I know curiosity peaks when something as niche as an EUC creeps on by...

However, many people want to stop and chat (which sometimes I don't mind) - but usually it's the younger, tracksuit posse who just want to know how fast it goes/how much it cost me.

I was talking to someone for about an hour about them, which I enjoyed because he seemed genuinely interested in them and I believe he went on to purchase one (+1 in the EUC world).

I try and be polite as I can... but when you are spending 20 minutes talking about it and only 5 minutes using it, sometimes the urge to pretend you didn't hear them beckon you increases. 

Now, of course I have no obligation to stop and exchange friendlies but it's hard when you roll past them at 5 mph on an empty street.

I'm thinking decoy headphones. No music playing.

Sometimes I just stay indoors when I contemplate the outside world infiltrating me with interest,

Why isn't a jolly thumbs up enough? It's hard to answer a long-winded question as I'm going past you.

Ughh, the tales of the socially anxious.

I see Youtube videos of people riding through the busy streets of Paris living life as free as they can, rolling through the New York minutes commuting and enjoying themselves...

yet, I have to wait until my street is clear of people before even considering going outside. If I see someone young (I'm 22 myself), I usually go a different route.

I impede myself.

Does anyone else feel extreme anxiety from being on the cutting-edge?

Yeah, it's very rare to see any of EUC riders outside, so far it's two of us in Bradford @stephen and I.

As you say, usually youths try8ng to shout in me, to give'em a go, or some running just next to me, when I go slow on pavement, and shouting on me then - I CAN RIDE IT !

It's not even n8ce feeling, but nervous situation rather...

Once a group of youths came out of blue at a fon of me, they were brave cause of walking in group, so they've started talking some thing on me, and one of them raised his arm to give me a five on the go!?

Can you imagine,what could have caused of giving him friendly five?

I don't want to be rude, but what's my interest to talk to anybody while I'm going somewhere?

All I do, I'm trying to avoid talking.

I'm making a smile, sometime I throw something like "cheers bro" or I wave back,or such, but I'm far away from stopping and talking...

I feel they're not after to be friendly too much, they're rather making a poses to show off next to the others, if you know I mean?

It's different if I'm stationary, waiting for the bus to come, then I'm answering some questions politely, but never on the go... 

Edited by PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur
15 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

You don't have to talk to anyone. I used to talk to everyone, no I won't talk to anyone. I just don't have the time. If I'm commuting or even joyriding, I don't want to stop or slow down, and I don't. Sometimes they shout questions, I just wave and go fast. I'm a nice guy, but I don't have enough time to just stand around talking to people all day. 

It isn't normal really if you think about it. I have never shouted at someone on a vehicle to stop traveling and discuss their vehicle with me. That's a rude and insane request. 

I do agree!

Good point!

If you dislike this behaviour I would recommend just to avoid the crowded areas and go for the countryside when riding if possible. Normaly the worst you get there are jawdropped faces with no more impact on you. I understand it can be annoying to run into bunches of pupils or similar folks which express their WTF moment on EUC loudly. On the other hand it's a powerful instrument to get social contacts very easy. You also might use this fact for your benefit :innocent1:

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy

Personally I love talking to people who are interested. It's only people who are positive that talk to me, and usually they want to know more so they can learn about the hobby. I think it's a good thing.

Personally (i've said this before on the forum so forgive me), choosing to not be shy/embarrassed is the best thing that ever happened to my riding.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Personally I love talking to people who are interested. It's only people who are positive that talk to me, and usually they want to know more so they can learn about the hobby. I think it's a good thing.

Personally (i've said this before on the forum so forgive me), choosing to not be shy/embarrassed is the best thing that ever happened to my riding.

I agree. Yes, we do get the “how fast does it go”, “how much does it cost”, but we need to be good stewards of the sport.  What if somebody had turned off your interest???

Everyone, get out there and spread the word and be the best example for us all.  There is nothing but good that can come.  Cheers to you Jambo for reaching beyond!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've been riding for over two years and I rarely get stopped and interrogated.  Maybe its the baseball cap, dark glasses and headphones (with actual music--not on the road), or maybe its the 23" blood soaked machete I carry loosely by my side.

Probably the former.  With headphones AND dark glasses (no observable eye contact) you can choose who to ignore and who to respond to. Gangs of hoodies? Ignore.  Old man watching curiously from a park bench? answer questions (if you have the time).  All your choice.

I agree the "how much does it cost?" question is very rude, but they don't mean it to be, they're just curious and have no frame of reference..  I also used to get it 15 years ago when riding around on my Segway, and that was a $4,500 machine (2003 dollars).  It's almost like giving a robber the reason to rob you.If they might be sketchy  I just give them a price range dependent on model. A more professional person, or older people, I tell them.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

On 5/4/2019 at 6:00 PM, Rehab1 said:

Why not answer questions and get paid by @Jason McNeil for advertising at the same time. :P 

47723419662_de8953ba44_b.jpg

There is some truth there for me. I always tell folks to go to eWheels when they ask a bunch of questions, or where to buy.  Maybe @Jason McNeil should add a “where did you hear about us” on all checkouts?  Please apply all of my bird dog credits to my 16X balance. Thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

There is some truth there for me. I always tell folks to go to eWheels when they ask a bunch of questions, or where to buy.  Maybe @Jason McNeil should add a “where did you hear about us” on all checkouts?  Please apply all of my bird dog credits to my 16X balance. Thanks!

That would be great! @Jason McNeil are you listening?;)

2 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

You can setup a referral account with EWheels. That's what I did (http://www.ewheels.com/martybacke). You get a referral credit any time someone uses your code.

I have a lot of referral credits. I still have no idea what they are worth, but I assume I'll benefit some day :)

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I have a lot of referral credits. I still have no idea what they are worth, but I assume I'll benefit some day :)

Use them towards your 16X purchase. :smartass:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dave U said:

Use them towards your 16X purchase. :smartass:

I only count 11 wheels on the signature picture. There is a long way yet to 16 wheels :whistling: I didn't get that you intended it for KS16X att all ;)

I just wonder when Inmotion get their model with suspension finished they talked about they were working on. :popcorn:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You can setup a referral account with EWheels. That's what I did (http://www.ewheels.com/martybacke). You get a referral credit any time someone uses your code.

What are the credits worth???

I'd have to carry cards to hand out.  Maybe put the forum on there as well?

I'll have to think about that level of commitment. 

• Like 1