TG T3 - first day review

Grinchy

Saw a solowheel in a Home Depot, and had to have one. Ended up with a red TG T3 from US banggood warehouse. From purchase to delivery was 4 working days. It was $270 US delivered and is a 132whr version. Basically the cheapest I could find, though I have since seen it for $200 delivered.

It arrived bare bones, just the belt, charger and a few feet of pad included.

Got it charged and padded, pumped up the tire pressure to 40psi, and started to learn.

Stood on it with hands on a desk for 10 min or so rolling forward and back few inches. Got bored of this and tried some hallway rolling a few feet. This didn't work out and I put it up for a few hours.

Later got it out in driveway and tried to figure out how to mount up. Could usually wobble a few feet, but no real control. Along this section I decided to drop the belt which is a bad idea. It immediately got sucked into the wheel housing. No harm done though.

About 20 min in got up to speed and went about 50 feet. Still trouble mounting without a wall. Soon all clicked and about 45 min in circled my block, which was a solid 3 min of riding non stop with some basic turns.

So now I'm an expert and writing a review.

The TG T3 is not too heavy to carry a short distance, but I will definitely be adding the handle I ordered from banggood china. It isn't silent but the sound is pretty quiet. The speed control kicks in quickly, even on my very first ride of any length I got incessant beeping and tiltback. This is super annoying, I already wish I had gotten a faster model.

I also got about a block of weird side side wheel wobble, which I think was due to some poor foot position and body tilt, in combination. I really hope it isn't a continuing problem, as it makes the wheel really unstable.

Conclusion: Wheel is totally useable and takes about an hour to get mounting and balance and basic large area maneuvers down. It has a low top speed, and suspect based on all the other reviews, low power and 5 to 7 km range.

I have young kids, and think this wheel will quickly get handed down to them. It proves the point of use, but I think anyone who wants to commute or do serious use should just start a bit higher up the pecking order. For running around within a few blocks and casual use, it will be fine and that is what I need it for.

Appearance: Surprisingly well put together, but the pedals don't stay closed. I anticipated this and will get some 6mm screws to address.

Mechanical: Haven't ridden enough to conclude, but it is promising for now

Value: Basic wheel for basic needs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the group of experts!

Smile

How ever; I like your review and from a point of a newcomer it is always a good view too!

It is how you wrote; It is for training and the wheel will go to your kids and you are looking for a better one.

For the price of USD 270.- is nothing wrong, even just to start and learn.

The next wheel will be closer to the USD 1000 marker (incl. shipping)

• 4 weeks later...

Three week Update:

My six year old is riding no problem, mounting without support, turning unassisted. My eight year old the same. I've removed the safety belt and can mount easily, ride at walking speed, make tight turns etc. Still not driving backward. So I think all that are interested in my family are pretty far up the learning curve. My wife has tried it for about 2 min total, and looks like a pretty hopeless cause without some serious practice.

The TG-T3 still works as good as new. It's had about 15 charges I think, and seems to be okay. I haven't gone below 2 lights yet, and usually don't charge it until 2 lights. This is about a day and a half of play for  the kids. I have a trolley bar that I haven't installed yet, and a tire liner that i haven't installed yet. I am also waiting on the trick rear taillight to come, but it is now four weeks waiting for delivery. Maybe a couple more will have it here. Scratches on the machine from some dumpings, both mine and the kids. I have a red model and the scratches show an undercolor of white, so it isn't through tint on the plastic, at least for red. Otherwise the red color is quite pleasing.

The kids never seem to tire of riding it up and down the sidewalk on our block. They'll go for two hours or more. Of course this is slow speed and with some pauses, but that will usually get down to 3 lights or 2.

Around here I have seen a couple more solowheels, but no other generics. Have used the wheel for little errands, think 3 to 10 blocks. Works really good for these types of uses.

Hey Grinchy, your experience is close to mine. I got pretty good at straight-line riding in a couple of days but getting started without a pole took much longer. All it takes is practice! Have fun, wear protection.

I've experienced the wobble before and I agree it's probably foot position. It can also be caused by washboard roads. If you still have issues try dropping the tire pressure down a bit, that may help.

I've got the same unicylce and also had that wobble initially. I found it was due to my legs being to stiff, thereby offering no "suspension" for small road bumps or whatever. As soon as I learned to relax my legs somewhat and became more confident with the unicyle the wobble just went away.

See my intial thread about my experiences when starting out and how I overcame certain issues while learning.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry folks, thought I had replied on this thread earlier.

I'm in Seattle Washington, proud home of Solowheel. I think the Inventist mad scientist lives north of here about 45 minutes.

As to driving, my eight year old now holds the crown, she's gotten really good. Isn't going backward yet, but she's definitely the most agile.

I'm fine, can easily go anywhere, mount up in any situation first try (holding a big bag of groceries, on a steep hill sideways, etc). Still working on curb hops, particularly going up. Still not successful at going backwards.

The TG-T3 takes it all in stride. I think at this point the only negatives for this wheel, in order are: Speed, battery capacity, tilt back at speed, power. Since this is all obvious from spec comparison prior to purchase it probably won't help future shoppers much . . . 

Importantly I haven't had any reliability problems yet.

I started out with this one as well... I'm happy I did, because the it took a lot of beating before we learned to ride it... 

I agree with the the negatives for this wheel, but you get what you pay for and it's great for beginners... I even learned you can buy replacement shell's for around 40$ to bring it back to mint condition...

Right now my son is riding the TG-T3 and I'm riding the 9b1, and seems there is fine match in battery life as he is much lighter than me ;-)

We made this video when learning to ride electric unicycle:

This video is made to show it's not impossible to learn how to ride the unicycle, that seems to be impossible from start. This is the journey from start to basic skill level over 4 days...

• 2 weeks later...

I started out with this one as well... I'm happy I did, because the it took a lot of beating before we learned to ride it...

I agree with the the negatives for this wheel, but you get what you pay for and it's great for beginners... I even learned you can buy replacement shell's for around 40$ to bring it back to mint condition...

Right now my son is riding the TG-T3 and I'm riding the 9b1, and seems there is fine match in battery life as he is much lighter than me ;-)

This video is made to show it's not impossible to learn how to ride the unicycle, that seems to be impossible from start. This is the journey from start to basic skill level over 4 days...

Cool, that's encouraging with a week to go before I get my first wheel :-)

• 1 month later...

I finally removed the training wheels from my TG wheel. Now I can turn without dragging. I should have done that much sooner. My first start without training wheels was spectacular, I forgot to turn on the wheel. It almost balanced for a second and then moved very fast. 

Today it is raining in dry California. The foot rests are very slippery when wet. What is the best non-slip treatment?

I finally removed the training wheels from my TG wheel. Now I can turn without dragging. I should have done that much sooner. My first start without training wheels was spectacular, I forgot to turn on the wheel. It almost balanced for a second and then moved very fast. 

Today it is raining in dry California. The foot rests are very slippery when wet. What is the best non-slip treatment?

​Grip tape.  Like the ones used for skateboards.

I was wondering what that wet stuff was falling from the sky! Careful on the roads Rick people don't know what they're doing out there!

My TG wheel continues to work fine. I was riding in strong wind, about 12kts, today. Gusts would cause odd upsets in lateral control. I tried mounting it with it not turned on again, just stepped off. I am discovering that there seem to be two ways to turn; one initiates the bank with a angular twist and small twists to maintain the bank, the other is to just put more weight on the pedal on the inside of the turn tilting the wheel slightly. If the bank starts increasing I can just speed up a bit, or twist inside. I still tend to drop the unicycle when I dismount.

• 2 months later...

Love this video!

I am so glad I found this forum.

I recently bought a TG-T3 even though I knew about the Solowheel, Ninebot and others. Wanted to get in on the fun as early and as cheaply as I could, even though I know if I learn to ride I'll be on to one of the others immediately. 

My purchase story was pretty much like Grinchy's. I purchased my TG-T3 from Banggood warehouse. Had a pretty good buying experience. Wound up ordering the other things it was lacking like the handle and stand. Even got shin guards cause everyone said these things are hard on the shins.

What triggered my desire to have one. A friend of mine from work showed me some video on youtube and I have been smitten with the ECU's ever since. 

Went out today for the first time and was doing great while I had the support/training wheels. After about forty five minutes I removed the support wheels and found a wall to work with. Everything changed and the struggle really began. It is hard for me to imagine I will ever be able to do one of those rolling starts. How strong does the left leg have to be to hold up the bike before you get on it. No wonder so many people have bruises and sores. I could only climb up and begin creeping forward. It was slowly no matter how much I leaned forward. After many attempts I began moving a tiny bit faster but could only get a short distance before I would turn sharply to the right and my foot would slide off. It was frustrating to say the least. I wasn't going to give up but the doubt was seeping in. 

Then came home and began searching the internet for any help I could find. I found this forum and saw this video. I am inspired. Henrik, seeing your son doing all the things that was happening to me made me feel so much better. Actually he was still a lot further ahead of but I don't feel alone any more. Seeing him stick come rolling around that corner on only his second day put a big smile on my face. I know I won't improve as quickly as he did. I'm way to old for that but I know it is possible now. 

Thanks for the inspiring video.

Hi @claycase, welcome here! Your story brings back memories ... :D

I started with a TG-T3, too. Actually, I ordered my Ninebot One E from China last December (2014) and as it took many weeks to deliver, I ran out of patience and got a TG-T3 which arrived within a few days. At age 58 and fitness level "couch potato", it took me countless sessions in the underground garage to finally make it from one concrete pillar to the next. 

In the meantime, I went through the NB1 to a Gotway 18, feel pretty much in control of that beast as long as I'm not trying daring tricks and happily use it for commuting to work.

I still maintain, the TG-T3 is a capable learner wheel at a fair price as long as you know its limitations: unsafe BMS can stop the motor at any time, so you shouldn't drive it faster than you can run, range is 10km best case (usually very overstated by sellers), the driver shouldn't be heavier than 80Kg. Putting "grip tape" on the pedals helped me to avoid sliding off. You can buy that in skate shops or online for 5-10 bucks.

Take care and stick with your plan - it's definitely worth it and very rewarding once you made it. 

Hi Tillman. Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement. 

I have to say I am a little sore today but feel still feel enthusiastic if not more so. I only fell once yesterday but between trying to ride and lifting the device over and over I got a workout. Please tell me it helps to build the core. It certainly feels like it. 

I'm 59 so it's great to hear that I'm not the only one to start at this time in life. Haven't even told my wife or kids yet that I am doing this. I want to be able to ride first and surprise them. I've decided to go slow but work on it everyday. I know I will do it because I can already picture it in my head which I can only do with certain things. I've admired people that skateboard, surf or even ski but I've never pictured myself doing that, or rather,  could only picture myself falling but this captured me cause it just makes so much sense.  The perfect use of the wheel.  

I am going to order a Ninebot eventually but would like to be up and rolling first. I see you have an E. I was looking at the C+.  Would like to know if you know about those too. 

Thanks again.

Hi @claycase. That's the spirit :D. I'm sure you will make it.

Dunno, if your wheel lifting exercise helps much. I was so tense during my first weeks on the wheel that I felt every muscle afterwards, plus some I didn't even know I had. I usually ended my sessions when my legs were shaking. And: progress didn't come in a steady learning curve, but with surprise success and unexplainable set backs. So, please be prepared for days when just nothing seems to work.

I like your idea with your surprise coming out - I could never keep my mouth shut long enough to pull such a stunt. Yet, you would have a much easier time learning with a friend helping you balance. My girlfriend did that for me and while I couldn't get her on an EUC, she's happily riding along on an Airwheel S3 now (sort of a bonsai Segway clone). 

I also benefitted from many instruction videos on youtube. Here are some from the friendly folks at Speedyfeet / Ninebot UK: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN2A3b85jdnPWbyMshvORvRbk8i3CmCiJ

Talking about Ninebot: That's definitely a solid choice. Generally, please go for the largest battery you can afford. Not only does that give you a better range, but it also adds to your safety as there's just more spare energy to help you over an unexpected bump in the road. Personally, I would opt for their upcoming model "Ninebot One P", as that also comes with a stronger motor. Just because it can run 30 km/h does not mean you have to :rolleyes:. And what sounds like "worp speed" to you today, may be a very nice option for you to have next year.

Hi Tilmann, (Spelled correctly this time)

My muscles are pretty sore. It would figure that they might actually be in shock. They must have thought I was standing on top of a car or something. I'm kind of prepared for having more downs than up but I figure if I can get to consistently stand up and go ten feet without falling in a couple of weeks I will have won a major battle. Then I'll lengthen that and eventually get into turning. 

The surprise is, of course, mostly for my wife. She would be worried about me to much... or maybe she would start greasing the wheels for the insurance. You never know. I have toyed with the idea of going out somewhere with my son and learning but I could never practice without drawing a lot of attention in my neighborhood that wouldn't eventually get back to her. Because I have been working at night for the last 32 years it is very easy for me to go out while most people are sleep and practice. Too find a wall I just went to the garage at my job. It is big and empty but there are security cameras. I let the guard know I was out there before I started so I am sure I was the entertainment for the 40 odd minutes I was there. It made me feel safe knowing if something happened they'd be out there or they'd call an ambulance or something. Thankfully everything was fine. That and One of my co-workers spotted me so other than my family it's not much of a secret. 

That video of Henrik's son really did show me that I had done a lot and was not too far off track. So I felt so much better. Also your help and advice has done much to keep my spirit up. It is very cool that you and your girlfriend and go out on freewheeling. I look forward to the day I can go out with the kids. No doubt they will take to it quicker than I will if only cause by then I'll have more knowledge and experience. My wife will never be able to ride something like this because she has had two hip replacement surgeries and with those you can't take the chance of falling. She gets around better than ever but these are just not for her. 

Your advice about the more power the better is sound advice and I'm going to take it. I'll even look into that 9bot One P.  I have looked at the Solowheels too but decided I'd have to be pretty far along before I would invest that much cash. Who knows though if I become a frequent rider it would certainly save on gas. That is something. 

I know I'm not there yet but how in the world does anyone start with that on leg on the ground push start. Just trying to get into that position hurts my left inside shin and I'm wearing shin guards and sweats. Am I balancing it wrong or do you have to build up calluses on that part of you leg? Inquiring minds (and legs) want to know.

Gong to check out those videos now. 

I know I'm not there yet but how in the world does anyone start with that on leg on the ground push start. Just trying to get into that position hurts my left inside shin and I'm wearing shin guards and sweats. Am I balancing it wrong or do you have to build up calluses on that part of you leg? Inquiring minds (and legs) want to know.

Hi @claycase, thanks for describing your secret endeavors - you're really something ;). Don't push too hard though, it doesn't really matter how long you need to a controlled ride as long as you don't hurt yourself and eventually get there.

By now, I'm fairly good getting on and off the wheel unassisted. So I immediately checked my legs for calluses :huh:. Pheeewww, to my relief, I didn't find any :lol:. I remember plenty of bruises in the early days, though.

The secret is, I guess, to position your stronger leg really, really close to the body of the wheel. Here are some good exercises before actually getting on the wheel with both feet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAqUk_-qOis (just skip all the advertisement hype).

Good luck!

Hi Tilmann,

Just got back from spending a half hour outside. I want to tell you I can't say enough about how I appreciate your help. I learned a lot just from looking at the first couple of lessons you gave me earlier. I'd seen the speedyfeet guy before on many videos, mostly they showed him riding and doing different techniques. But on the ones you sent me he began by showing how to mount and he emphasized a slight tilt in towards the leg that's still on the ground I instantly realized what I was doing wrong. Well, to be truthful, he demonstrated what I was doing wrong. Ha! That was what I was out practicing now. And I can get on and stay up 50% of the time. Not for long of course. Only 3 to 5 seconds when I do but that is something right?  I wasn't using the wall either. Well I did use the wall occasionally but that was mostly to rock back and forth to feel what it feels like to move a little while up. 

Where I am having trouble is once up getting the cycle to move fast enough to find my balance. I'm leaning but I was only able to get it going maybe 2 or 3 times. I did ride about 3 or 4 feet - or should I say a meter or so - twice. I was ecstatic and frustrated at the same time. Finding my center is a chore. I'm sure the skateboarders and ice skaters get up fairly quickly. Still I knew I'd done something so I quit while I was a head. It was only 20 or 25 minutes I was out there, Maybe less. 

One thing I was wondering is if my wheels are low on air. I also didn't fully charge the cycle again cause it had 4 lights on it. It dropped down to 3 after my second attempt. As I understand the TG-T3 is underpowered and needs a full charge. 

When you got your 9bot you must have been a fairly good rider cause it looks like it can't be used with a strap. I use the strap but I think mostly to keep the cycle from scooting off when i'm forced off of it. 

If I am asking too many questions just let me know. I'm sorry I am so long winded about this but as you know I'm not talking to anyone about this here. Thanks for your patience and advice. 

When you got your 9bot you must have been a fairly good rider cause it looks like it can't be used with a strap. I use the strap but I think mostly to keep the cycle from scooting off when i'm forced off of it. 

Hi @claycase, I'm glad, my pointers to those videos made some sense.

Yeah, NB1 and using a strap is somewhat tricky. KIndly see my story on that subject here: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/866-ninebot-one-broken-handle/?do=findComment&comment=8708. When you read on in that fred, you'll find better solutions to attach a strap.

Here is me, entertaining my facebook friends with an overwhelming display of my underwhelming skills on my 59th birthday in May: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DhQJQBWql0 :D:D

Hi Tilmann, 

Just got a chance to see this message. I'm getting ready to head to work but I will be checking these things out once I get settled there.  Hope all is well with you and yours.

Hey you were born in may of 1956.  I was born in June that same year. Cool.

I read the information about how the handle broke off you 9Bot. I had heard that could happen.  You gave a good description as to how you made your own posts to wrap the belt around unfortunately I don't have a great imagination or mind for engineering so I would have to see pictures. 

I also looked at the video and I give your movie 2 thumbs up for high quality production value and for the star of the movie. Now I've actually seen you. 

Take care. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Grinchy,
After reading you review :), I got TG-T3 couple of days back from Banggood and they sent EU pulg and Charger is showing 180V-220V. Just wondering have you got same and are you seeing any issues in charging the battery. Can you please advise me.

Hi RavMan, 

I received a charger with an EU plug also. I didn't try it cause I knew it would not work here in the states. I didn't want to get an adapter even if that might have worked fine. I was a little ticked about the whole thing but figured I'd gotten such a good price on the TG-T3 that I just went to ebay and ordered a charger frombiligo_us. It works fine.  It has an american plug on it and it charges the TG-T3 really quickly. 

Archived