Ninebot One Z10 regenerative braking/charging bug

TuN3M@N

Hello, I'm riding a Z10 since some month without any issues. Great wheel... 

At the moment I'm on holiday at Lake Garda Italy. Yesterday after Biking I took my Z10 for a nice evening trip for around 700m altitude uphill. Everything was fine and all the ebikers were praying for a bigger motor :).

BUT as I stopped my Z10 after around 400-500m altitude downhill to take a picture it didn't switch on again, instead it sends a failure "battery 2: abnormal power supply (29)". Battery was at around 65%.

At the end a friend of mine had to pick me up in the mountains because the wheel didn't switch on again. 

My first idea was, that I fried some mosfeds with to powerful regen braking. So I opened up the electronic, but everything was absolute fine. 

So I took my wheel to hotel and put the charger on. A minute later I tried to switch it on again and it startet as nothing happened bevor. 

So I charged it again to nearly 100% and tried it again going 400m up and directly after that going 400m down. AND exactly the same happened, error code 29 and the wheel didn't come up. Also the same in the hotel, put the charger in after 15seconds switching the wheel on an everything was fine. 

Based on this I think there has to a bug in the BMS or wheel FW. As some others discovered month ago the Z10 is only charging one battery. So it happens that the batteries become more than 10% difference between each other. If you stop there is a current going from one battery to the other. I think this could be the "abnormal power supply". 

If I didn't stop after the downhill everything is fine, the batteries become same level again. 

So has anyone experienced anything in this way with BMS FW 1.1.7 and FW 1.0.5 or 7.6.0?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hsiang said:

Does this have to do with the bug where only one battery is regen charged? Is the 65% battery 2 only or overall?

First battery was at 74% second one at 63%. I think it is based on this, but I have never read about something like the discribed failure, so I think it could be based on the latest BMS update. Unfortunately I'm not able to downgrade BMS Firmware to test it.... 

Edited by TuN3M@N

On 5/2/2019 at 1:36 AM, TuN3M@N said:

Hello, I'm riding a Z10 since some month without any issues. Great wheel... 

At the moment I'm on holiday at Lake Garda Italy. Yesterday after Biking I took my Z10 for a nice evening trip for around 700m altitude uphill. Everything was fine and all the ebikers were praying for a bigger motor :).

BUT as I stopped my Z10 after around 400-500m altitude downhill to take a picture it didn't switch on again, instead it sends a failure "battery 2: abnormal power supply (29)". Battery was at around 65%.

At the end a friend of mine had to pick me up in the mountains because the wheel didn't switch on again. 

My first idea was, that I fried some mosfeds with to powerful regen braking. So I opened up the electronic, but everything was absolute fine. 

So I took my wheel to hotel and put the charger on. A minute later I tried to switch it on again and it startet as nothing happened bevor. 

So I charged it again to nearly 100% and tried it again going 400m up and directly after that going 400m down. AND exactly the same happened, error code 29 and the wheel didn't come up. Also the same in the hotel, put the charger in after 15seconds switching the wheel on an everything was fine. 

Based on this I think there has to a bug in the BMS or wheel FW. As some others discovered month ago the Z10 is only charging one battery. So it happens that the batteries become more than 10% difference between each other. If you stop there is a current going from one battery to the other. I think this could be the "abnormal power supply". 

If I didn't stop after the downhill everything is fine, the batteries become same level again. 

So has anyone experienced anything in this way with BMS FW 1.1.7 and FW 1.0.5 or 7.6.0?

I have experienced a battery related problem which seems to occur even after a full recharge. When I start riding I suddenly already at low speed get beeps and a very steep tilt back. I have had the Ninebot app open while this happens and it looks like this (see image). From it you can see that there is a 8% difference in the battery charge level and the orange bar indicates that the speed is limited heavily (tilt back limit at very low speed). Usually the battery levels go back to nearly the same levels if I just turn the wheel on and off. I did not experience this kind of behaviour before. The wheel has about 1100 km on it.

Screenshot_20190501-190714_Segway-Ninebot.jpg

On 5/3/2019 at 7:14 AM, Lefteris said:

@Hsiang have you ever experienced any kind of problems and/or bugs and also do you have any tips for me as a new Z10 owner ?

No, I personally never experienced any bugs with my Z10. And I hadn't really treated it with care and had drop it on multiple occasion and even cracked the side panel (a 4' drop, don't ask..) Tips? ride your whenever, where ever you can! the experiences gets better and better as you build your comfort level, wear protection as you'll likely fall when you least expect it!

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 12:36 AM, TuN3M@N said:

Afair such cases were reported here already - imho the solution was don't turn your wheel of after going down :( to be on the safe side, check thevcharge states/voltages before turning off if you have no charger nearby...

• Like 1