Insane Import/Duty Fees on Arrival

Vii

Hi, I'm new here.

So my first wheel has arrived from ewheels, and I got slapped in the face with an import/duty fee of roughly 50% of the declared value. I haven't claimed the package yet.

I imported it to Canada, and because of this I'm paying about 600 dollars more than I would have if I'd just purchased from a dealer in the country, and I'm debating just sending it back.

Is there some benefit I'm getting by ordering from ewheels that warrants that expense?  I really don't want to send it back but that's not a small amount of money, on top of what I've already paid.  

50% duty? :shock2:   Have you communicated with @Jason McNeil? That does seem a bit excessive - is there a trade war between the United States and Canada that I'm not aware of :confused1:

Of course the import fee, if real, is not a fault of EWheels. I doubt Jason would even recommend that you purchase a wheel from him with those kind of fees.

Somehow I suspect that there is a bureaucratic mixup that Jason may be able to straighten out.

• Like 2

ive bought multiple wheels from ewheels.. never paid a dime in duties.. i think there was some mistake maybe a zero was added somewhere...

• Like 3

@Marty Backe

I definitely don't blame Jason or Ewheels.  If there is a trade war happening I'm unaware.  And I haven't contacted him yet

I bought an 18xl, the declared value of the package was 1000 usd to my understanding.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, it says I owe 547.34 :<

wtf.thumb.jpg.b12229d802b55636f3a1e7aff25095ca.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jason McNeil said:

Something's not right here, we always send shipments by Express because clearance is usually swift & there's none of these nonsense brokerage fees slapped on. I've just contacted Fedex to see what's going on, they've promised to investigate & get back to me. 

Thanks so much Jason, glad to hear it's not entirely accurate.  My heart sank when I found the slip on my door.

• Like 2

that looks like a case of messy handwriting to me lol.. more likely 17.34.. why not just call the 1800 number, give them the tracking number and they will tell you what is owing

Duty is 0% on electric unicycles coming into Canada. On regular bicycles duty can be as high as 60% apparently. Perhaps it was accidentally classifed as a bike and not an electric unicycle -- totally different categories for duty purposes. Can't speak to any import fees.

Edited by winterwheel

7 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Duty is 0% on electric unicycles coming into Canada. On regular bicycles duty can be as high as 60% apparently. Perhaps it was accidentally classifed as a bike and not an electric unicycle -- totally different categories for duty purposes. Can't speak to any import fees.

Evidently this is what happened. To remove any ambiguity for the future, will be classifying Wheels as Electric Scooters, until Canada adds a special 100% tax rate on eScooters too. 

• Like 2

EBikes hit with an enormous tariff while eCars are heavily subsidized?

Whereas an eCar uses between ~20-40 times more energy per mile than an eBike while requiring far less infrastructure (no one ever gets stuck in a bicycle traffic jam while the jam is inevitable), one is subsidized and the other is penalized.

As a whole, Western Europe and N America, while they talk about environmentalism and safety, are actually against both those subjects, because their actions strongly support anti-safety and anti-environmentalism.