Hoverboard battery wont charge - BMS or bad cell?

lineslim

Hi,

I got a hoverboard for free from a friend because it would not power on or charge at all (no red light on charger). I measured the battery voltage to be 17V (a 36V 10S2P pack with Samsung cells, see pictures). After opening up the battery pack I tried to charge it by connecting the charger directly to the B+ and B- on the BMS (for short periods monitoring the voltage and temperature regularly). When reaching around 32-35V I was able to power on/off the board. Foot sensors seemed to work but it kept displaying a red battery symbol and beeping to signal low battery. Still it would not charge "the normal way" through the charge port. Shorting C- and B- (as I saw in a youtube video) starts the charging but it cuts out as soon as the short is removed. I have also tried to "reset the battery" according to the manual by swiching the board on/of at certain intervals,

From what I have learnt this is likely a case of either a dead BMS or bad cells in the pack? Is there any way I could determine which of these it might be without taking all the cells apart? Or is there another way of trying fixing this problem before I go and buy a new battery?

Would really appreciate your advice!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Before all,I suggest you to ask the manufacturer for professional help.

As I know,there are two kinds of hoverboard batteries:24V and 36V.And their voltage will change in the range of 24V-29.5V ,or 36V -42V.You'd better make sure the voltage is right(maximum of the range) while the battery full charging.If you have an ampermeter,try to measure the current(be careful) of the battery with a load.Normally,the output current will be 5A to 10A in different dip angle.If your battery works well,maybe the reason is the boards.