MSX still not happy with battery ☹️

stephen

46 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Here are my charging test results for 1600 Wh Monster:

Test charge L / R batteries:

LEFT SIDE BATTERY (NON-MB SIDE)

1_Charge (left only) non-motor side

(charger short pulse red with long green light)

2_Initial voltage:         (79.45 volt/82%)

(77.98 volt/72%)

3_charge 30 minutes (78.53 volt/76%)

4_stop recharge attempt - no significant change

5_after sitting 1+ hours (77.73 volt/71%)

RIGHT SIDE BATTERY (MB-SIDE)

1_Charge (right only) MB side

(Constant red charger led)

2_initial voltage:  (78.46 volt/75%)

3_charge 10 min (80.19 volt/86%)

charge 20 min (80.85 volt/90%)

charge 30 min (81.31 volt/93%)

charge 40 min (81.78 volt/96%)

charge 50 min (82.08 volt/98%)

charge 60 min (82.46 volt/100%) red led

charge 70 min (82.68 volt/100%) red led

charge 80 min (82.81 volt/100%) red led 

charge 90 min (82.89 volt/100%) red led

I'm afraid you've lost me on this bob😊 so what you going to do, will it still ride on an unbalanced batteries or you just ride on one set ?

1 hour ago, stephen said:

I'm afraid you've lost me on this bob

Oh....

I've ridden the same mismatched batteries (aside from motor and shell  replacement in January this year)

since 10-14-18

for 2688 km (1670 miles) 

Now I know that I have only one affected battery and which of the two it is. 

The parallel circuit arrangement of batteries allows higher ( 2x?)  amperage draw. A single battery in the circuit rides and  self-balances ok but I didn't push the speed. 

The affected battery does not allow charging to continue beyond 77% for both. This limits range attained but not performance.

Apparently , despite not being the ideal solution of replacement, the use of my two batteries (as is) has been uneventful in terms of electronic charge/discharge issues within the range about 15% to 77%. (22 miles on 45 degree weather).

When deciding to test which battery was affected I generated the posted values and the reconnection voltage (about 0.5 volt mismatch) I chose to use.

I am confident that if I choose to buy a new battery that the process will be uneventful in terms of sparking or whatever might happen to the MB.

Good luck with your MSX....your range is impressive.😁

I used WheelLog for the posted values. While I didn't charge the good battery on the charger to obtain green led values of 100%, the last value (still accepting charge) was about 1.1  volts from the 84 volts seen in your multimeter test.

Current MB, batteries and tire distances

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Upvote 1

@stephen

I'm not unfamiliar with the British mind. In the late 1970's I was a student in Joy's lab at a school in Philadelphia, PA. She was eager to study and apply for admission to veterinarian school and since then has become an academic one. 

https://www.research.vet.cam.ac.uk/research-staff-directory/principal-investigators/systems-pathology/Joy-Archer

A copy of the latest 'Punch' magazine (last issue 1992) was always within a short reach.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_(magazine)&ved=2ahUKEwju7pO43IriAhVmh-AKHVYvBlsQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1rhYTsitPCXd617gx-PDKo

I ventured away from the study of cultured pancreases islets and transplantation after over a year of exposure and ended up teaching math and science in a boarding school for the next few years.

Back then the antibodies used to stain and identify insulin bearing cells in pancreatic islets was not quite available. The research study involved lots of small animal sacrifice and microdissection into culture fluid for short term studies before the islets in culture detached from the petri dish, dead, useless and floating in the media.

Joy's husband worked for a drug company synthesizing a gold compound with arthritis potential. Getting a profitable synthesis recovery was the challenge for him. 

After leaving it looks they spent time in Canada before returning to the UK.

Prior to being a professor in Philadelphia (1979s) Joy did some kind of radiation research (Oakridge, Tennessee ?).

Cheers!

Edited by Bob Eisenman

On 5/6/2019 at 9:05 AM, Chriull said:

82.3V instead of 84V is really way off... :( ... But "just" 2% of relative error...

@stephen you have the specs of your multimeter? I just had seen today that for some cheap ones this 2% could also be inaccuracy of the meter... :(