MSX still not happy with battery ☹️

stephen

I know i know this again but it's not right I'm sure , i tried everything last time multimeters , charge doctor etc , i got it to 83v once and accepted it but it's still down to 82v once unplugged for a bit and down to 84% after waking it half hour ,,, all i ask is what range and full charge do you get and how long does it take to drain to 84% cause mine drains to there suddenly ,,, we did everything we could last time so I've just written to ian see if he can look , thanks and sorry to bring this up but you know how it is when you know something not right thanks

Hello Ian me again 😊

Can you look at this video at 3 minutes 20 seconds chooch mentions adiode where battery won't charge full (mine never has) as we've talked before about it,,,, maybe it could be this,,,,
I still think I'm losing 10 miles+ range as now I've got a Z10 1000wh i got something to compare it to,  i get about 25 miles and about 25% left on the Z10 , on the msx i  get about 27 miles 30% left ,, same riding conditions and weight and terrain etc ,i really think something is wrong i charged it full 96% 82v that's full, i went on London meet walked it through Hyde park for half hour and it was down to 84% ,,,,i hadn't even ridden it , it's doing my head in always has and Always will .
I'll even come to speedyfeet with it fully charged one day and see what you think it only takes 5 mins for it to go to 84% ☹️ . On the ride in London everyone had more charge left than me and they was in lower wh batterys all doing same speed etc , i just need it sorting i really need the range i just don't want to leave it to late .ive tried to come to terms with it and accept it but since riding with others and having another wheel i know something's up,, please can we try resolve this.
 thanks Ian 
Waiting your reply
3 minutes 20 seconds in 
Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
4 minutes ago, stephen said:

I know i know this again but it's not right I'm sure , i tried everything last time multimeters , charge doctor etc , i got it to 83v once and accepted it but it's still down to 82v once unplugged for a bit and down to 84% after waking it half hour ,,, all i ask is what range and full charge do you get and how long does it take to drain to 84% cause mine drains to there suddenly ,,, we did everything we could last time so I've just written to ian see if he can look , thanks and sorry to bring this up but you know how it is when you know something not right thanks

Hello Ian me again 😊

Can you look at this video at 3 minutes 20 seconds chooch mentions adiode where battery won't charge full (mine never has) as we've talked before about it,,,, maybe it could be this,,,,
I still think I'm losing 10 miles+ range as now I've got a Z10 1000wh i got something to compare it to,  i get about 25 miles and about 25% left on the Z10 , on the msx i  get about 27 miles 30% left ,, same riding conditions and weight and terrain etc ,i really think something is wrong i charged it full 96% 82v that's full, i went on London meet walked it through Hyde park for half hour and it was down to 84% ,,,,i hadn't even ridden it , it's doing my head in always has and Always will .
I'll even come to speedyfeet with it fully charged one day and see what you think it only takes 5 mins for it to go to 84% ☹️ . On the ride in London everyone had more charge left than me and they was in lower wh batterys all doing same speed etc , i just need it sorting i really need the range i just don't want to leave it to late .ive tried to come to terms with it and accept it but since riding with others and having another wheel i know something's up,, please can we try resolve this.
 thanks Ian 
Waiting your reply

That's annoying knowing something isn't just right, but struggling to find the exact cause and fix it... 

I hope you'll sort it out soon, for your peace of mind.

1 minute ago, PogArt Artur said:

That's annoying knowing something isn't just right, but struggling to find the exact cause and fix it... 

I hope you'll sort it out soon, for your peace of mind.

Yeah it's been an ongoing subject with me ☹️☹️ wheels ace i just think I'm losing out somewhere

Anyone with a MSX could you please provide a screenshot with wheellog at your fully charged state . So i can compare, maybe a range one if you have one as well😊 , i would much appreciate this😊

Edited by stephen

4 hours ago, stephen said:

What do you think

Stephen...we both use 84 volt batteries. I made a Wheel Log discharge graph for my Monster when it was newer. The ride was about 25 km (turquoise) trace. The plot (an average of 100 WheelLog points per spreadsheet graph point) sort of shows a rapid discharge for the battery (green trace) in the first 20% of use. Hope this helps. I enjoy your 360 videos.

84 volt battery discharge on Monster - 20 mile ride

Why does the battery trace (red) show a sixtyish value? Because when I first started using WheelLog I hadn't selected 84 volts as my battery pack voltage. I'll guess that the % battery trace is the same at each setting but then...who knows? The default installation of WheelLog made the 67 volt choice and I never gave it a second thought while focusing only on remaining battery percentage during use.

Wheel Log battery voltage setting

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

Thanks bob and thanks for watching my videos 😊 yeah the graph sort of puts some light on what's happening , speedyfeet replied and said the diode for the batteries is a safety feature so they don't knacker up and don't fully charge ,i think mines just to safe lol 😁 , he's asked me to do full range test down to where i can't use it any longer because of tiltback , and report back to him ,,,,,,,,cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephen said:

he's asked me to do full range test

Enjoy the ride.....here is a shareable link for the last half of a thirty mile run (source video) from when my Monster's batteries were fresh and unaffected by 'a bad cell(s)'. The ride ends in Newburyport, Mass.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YMNExYJJVdZ2cfmjutHqY7AU72oMQiIW

2 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Enjoy the ride.....here is a shareable link for the last half of a thirty mile run (source video) from when my Monster's batteries were fresh and unaffected by 'a bad cell(s)'. The ride ends in Newburyport, Mass.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YMNExYJJVdZ2cfmjutHqY7AU72oMQiIW

Cheers bob I'll take a peep😊

3 minutes ago, stephen said:

Range is now 77% of '100% full charge' and has been for the last 2800 miles. A new battery (only 1 of 2 hopefully) is a possibility.

Connecting a replacement battery (assuming only 1 of the 2) would require the new one to be voltage level matched to the other, if you catch my understanding.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, stephen said:

Why don't you do the range test on treadmill @stephen ? :)

It's safe, no risk of tilting back,at low battery power while you on it :) , and you can adjust the pace, to keep running the wheel at a same equal speed etc.!

Easy! :)

hahahahaaa :)

SmartSelect_20190430-162555_Chrome.thumb.jpg.939bdfa6ca6060940bc2697eac0e8f1f.jpg

2 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Why don't you do the range test on treadmill @stephen ? :)

It's safe, no risk of tilting back,at low battery power while you on it :) , and you can adjust the pace, to keep running the wheel at a same equal speed etc.!

Easy! :)

hahahahaaa :)

SmartSelect_20190430-162555_Chrome.thumb.jpg.939bdfa6ca6060940bc2697eac0e8f1f.jpg

I'm going to do the range test with you on Thursday 😁

I'll do the range test on that treadmill in the pic and stay being that woman :efefa6edcf::laughbounce2: ,,,, can't wait 😊

2 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Why don't you do the range test on treadmill

The end of August 2018, it came as a complete surprise when traveling full tilt down a street in Manchester-by-the-Sea , a pedal broke (7555 km on Monster).

Range testing your msx would be wild on a treadmill if a pedal broke.😋

When Monster's pedal broke I had not been a curb jumper. I had at most a half dozen or so total 'awkward dismounts' with the Monster flailing in 'the Gotway dance'. I landed flat on my chest, a block from the rail stop. Ripped jeans but that was about it. Since I had broken a shoulder riding my Ninebot One E+, thousands of kilometers (about 18 months) before , I was equally surprised to walk away unhurt.

The Monster's  battery only charging to only 77% had started on and off in the middle of the 2018 summer. Maybe the battery pack charging issue was due to a couple of high current trail climbs or due to running the battery to very low charge levels a few times (creates an cell that goes to sleep in terms of recharging) or perhaps it was the result of a few (6?) flailing walk offs as mentioned before.

The pedal break was the worst since landing chest down in the street is kind of a jolt....bought replacement pedals from SpeedyFeet. The high mileage shell had some bad cracks at the shell mount points and so I bought a replacement shell from eWheels. The motor failed not long after that. Bought a new motor from Jane Mo at Gotway after payment issues to a Gotway bank  account were resolved.

Tightening axle nuts (and shims) with my special tool was physically  stressful and my shoulder sockets hurt for a week from muscular strain required to develop torque to tighten the motor nuts back on. I'll bet Gotway uses an impact wrench, like the ones for replacing auto tires, for tightening axle nuts.

Except for the battery charging issue and tire tread wear getting closer to replacement the refurbished Monster seems ok.

mainboard , batteries (> 200 charging cycles)and original tire mileage:

Monster main board mileage

I'm much more conservative in situations where riding the Monster might result in a flailing dismount with resulting case damage.

Refurbished Monster looks a bit dirty buy otherwise its ok:

Mostly refurbished Monster, except for the batteries.

However, it only gets about 22 miles of range in 45-ish degree F weather. I've read that after 200 charging cycles (or two years) lithium ion batteries decline in range capacity.

I like the Monster's ride but at $1300 for 2 new batteries the refurbishing path has some economic disadvantages.

For $2000 to $2500 a gas scooter with unlimited range refueled comes to mind but other forums suggest that mopeds tend to need frequent repairs.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, stephen said:

I'm going to do the range test with you on Thursday 😁

I'll do the range test on that treadmill in the pic and stay being that woman :efefa6edcf::laughbounce2: ,,,, can't wait 😊

hahahaaaaa hahahaaaaa :)

Guest PogArt Artur
7 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The end of August 2018, it came as a complete surprise when traveling full tilt down a street in Manchester-by-the-Sea , a pedal broke (7555 km on Monster).

Range testing your msx would be wild on a treadmill if a pedal broke.😋

When Monster's pedal broke I had not been a curb jumper. I had at most a half dozen or so total 'awkward dismounts' with the Monster flailing in 'the Gotway dance'. I landed flat on my chest, a block from the rail stop. Ripped jeans but that was about it. Since I had broken a shoulder riding my Ninebot One E+, thousands of kilometers (about 18 months) before , I was equally surprised to walk away unhurt.

The Monster's  battery only charging to only 77% had started on and off in the middle of the 2018 summer. Maybe the battery pack charging issue was due to a couple of high current trail climbs or due to running the battery to very low charge levels a few times (creates an cell that goes to sleep in terms of recharging) or perhaps it was the result of a few (6?) flailing walk offs as mentioned before.

The pedal break was the worst since landing chest down in the street is kind of a jolt....bought replacement pedals from SpeedyFeet. The high mileage shell had some bad cracks at the shell mount points and so I bought a replacement shell from eWheels. The motor failed not long after that. Bought a new motor from Jane Mo at Gotway after payment issues to a Gotway bank  account were resolved.

Tightening axle nuts (and shims) with my special tool was physically  stressful and my shoulder sockets hurt for a week from muscular strain required to develop torque to tighten the motor nuts back on. I'll bet Gotway uses an impact wrench, like the ones for replacing auto tires, for tightening axle nuts.

Except for the battery charging issue and tire tread wear getting closer to replacement the refurbished Monster seems ok.

mainboard , batteries (> 200 charging cycles)and original tire mileage:

Monster main board mileage

I'm much more conservative in situations where riding the Monster might result in a flailing dismount with resulting case damage.

Refurbished Monster looks a bit dirty buy otherwise its ok:

Mostly refurbished Monster, except for the batteries.

However, it only gets about 22 miles of range in 45-ish degree F weather. I've read that after 200 charging cycles (or two years) lithium ion batteries decline in range capacity.

I like the Monster's ride but at $1300 for 2 new batteries the refurbishing path has some economic disadvantages.

For $2000 to $2500 a gas scooter with unlimited range refueled comes to mind but other forums suggest that mopeds tend to need frequent repairs.

Nice story!

You've got plenty of experience, where I'm just at the bottom.

I'm currently learning on E+ @Bob Eisenman, I'm scared to read that you've broken your shoulder on that... 

I think,that my poorly skills are blocking me against crazy tricks on E+, so my riding is easy rather than brave, but the risk is always there, when we ride on single wheel only :)

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

I'm currently learning on E+

I liked the Ninebot One E+ 

Ninebot One E+

I was mostly interested in the rank ladder before discovering this forum. Gotway owners were not keen on the performance (speed, range etc,).

The Monster is s totally different ride experience with no tilt back speed limits as known to Ninebot One E+ below  6 miles of range left in the battery. The NBOE+ sort of moves a bit below the rider whereas Gotway are fairly rock solid riding platforms, esp. The Monster .

During cold March weather, rounding a curve to a downward pitch, across some road salted snow plow ruts and at full speed ahead I think I had a cutout resulting in a bad fall on one side.

Cold weather, at speed limit, rutted road, etc ...not good.

@PogArt Artur

I came from a skiing background  Thr EUC resembles skiing but had differences. In skiing gravity and the slopes pitch determine tolerated speed. Ski length, skill and snow surface forms the ride experience.

With an EUC you are riding a machine with intrinsic motor/battery/ mainboard limits. The tire grips only several square inches. Wheel diameter affects performance too.

And.....falling on compacted snow is forgiving to some extent but falling on asphalt is by comparison not forgiving.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

12 hours ago, stephen said:

Hello Ian me again 😊

thanks Ian 
Waiting your reply
3 minutes 20 seconds in 

Oddly, lately my MSX has been charging to a full 100-percent and I have the same MSX as Chooch (mine is from the first shipment from EWheels).

Now I'm in doubt that the safety diode that @Jason McNeil had Gotway install on his MSX's has any noticeable effect on range. If it does, it must be in the noise.

I gather you've never opened the side panel on your MSX? If yours has the diode for some reason (I thought that was unique to wheels purchased from EWheels) you'll be able to see the installation in the handle area.

But even if you did and it had an affect, the reduction in capacity would be much less than what you're seeing. I really suspect that you have a defective battery pack.

A simple experiment (for me anyway) is this:

• Open the panel and disconnect one of the batteries and charge the wheel fully. What do you see?
  • Now disconnect that fully charged battery and connect the other one. Charge the wheel. What do you see?

If you have a problem with the batteries, it'll most likely be in only one of the packs. I can't imagine two battery packs having defective cells.

If you do the above simple experiment, before connecting the two batteries you'll have to drain one of them enough so that the voltage reads the same on both packs.

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
40 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I liked the Ninebot One E+ 

Ninebot One E+

I was mostly interested in the rank ladder before discovering this forum. Gotway owners were not keen on the performance (speed, range etc,).

The Monster is s totally different ride experience with no tilt back speed limits as known to Ninebot One E+ below  6 percent battery. The NBOE+ sort of moves a bit below the rider whereas Gotway are fairly rock solid riding platforms, esp. The Monster .

During cold March weather, rounding a curve to a downward pitch, across done snow plow ruts and at full speed ahead I think I had a cutout resulting in a bad fall on one side.

Cold weather, at speed limit, rutted road, etc ...not good.

@PogArt Artur

I came from a skiing background  Thr EUC resembles skiing but had differences. In skiing gravity and the slopes pitch determine tolerated speed. Ski length, skill and snow surface forms the ride experience.

With an EUC you are riding a machine with intrinsic motor/battery/ mainboard limits. The tire grips only several square inches. Wheel diameter affects performance too.

And.....falling on compacted snow is forgiving to some extent but falling on asphalt is by comparison not forgiving.

I have no skiing background whatsoever...

I tried learn inlane skating, but gave it up shortly, being upset by difficulty of riding on the harsh asphalt surfaces,where small diameter of wheels wasn't any good.

From that point I've switched to Skyke, very similar to inline skates, but designed for skiing lovers rather, where you can enjoy skiing without the snow :)

I were doing well, I guess, until I realised it's not any good to go through the city's traffic waving around with long , sharp ended poles!?

So I gave it up as well...

So far , the 16" E+ is my best experience yet!

Some of members, including you :) riding EUCs for years already, where I've found it out last March...

I'm keep practicing, learning while commuting...

The EUC is exactly what I were looking for past years, the best commuting device so far.

I'm not keen to experience fall offs, it's something that I wouldn't ever wish to myself.

Unfortunately I know the life is, and I'm aware I will fall off one day for sure.

I'm hoping to fall as safe as possible,though :)

The mileage on your E+ is impressive @Bob Eisenman !!! 

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Check out one of Yoshi's Ninebot One E+ videos

Beautiful place to enjoy riding EUC !

3 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Check out one of Yoshi's Ninebot One E+ videos

Those were the days huh @YoshiSkySun.

FYI, the group picture that I just posted in Photos was shot at the place that Yoshi is riding at the very end of the video.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Oddly, lately my MSX has been charging to a full 100-percent and I have the same MSX as Chooch (mine is from the first shipment from EWheels).

Now I'm in doubt that the safety diode that @Jason McNeil had Gotway install on his MSX's has any noticeable effect on range. If it does, it must be in the noise.

I gather you've never opened the side panel on your MSX? If yours has the diode for some reason (I thought that was unique to wheels purchased from EWheels) you'll be able to see the installation in the handle area.

But even if you did and it had an affect, the reduction in capacity would be much less than what you're seeing. I really suspect that you have a defective battery pack.

A simple experiment (for me anyway) is this:

• Open the panel and disconnect one of the batteries and charge the wheel fully. What do you see?
  • Now disconnect that fully charged battery and connect the other one. Charge the wheel. What do you see?

If you have a problem with the batteries, it'll most likely be in only one of the packs. I can't imagine two battery packs having defective cells.

If you do the above simple experiment, before connecting the two batteries you'll have to drain one of them enough so that the voltage reads the same on both packs.

Thx Marty advice taken on board I've screenshot this and will try these things and report back when i do ,, thanks

• Like 1

So someone mentioned use darknessbot its more accurate ,, anyway full over night charge , got screen of darkness bot and wheelog .. Wheellog is usually 96% yay i got 97%,, voltage both same nearly😁 darknessbot 92%🤔

Screenshot-20190501-085933-com-cooper-wh
IMG-20190501-085755.jpg

Edited by stephen

6 hours ago, stephen said:

So someone mentioned use darknessbot its more accurate ,, anyway full over night charge , got screen of darkness bot and wheelog .. Wheellog is usually 96% yay i got 97%,, voltage both same nearly😁 darknessbot 92%🤔

Screenshot-20190501-085933-com-cooper-wh

Here's my MSX (with slightly less mileage :blink1:) that I charged a week or so ago

MSX on 01May2019

• Upvote 1