Battery went down to 20% - for first time?

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

This morning I went to work,for first time with the trolley handle fitted.

I used to leave the wheel on top of the locker, but because of the trolley handle and kick stand fitted, I've decided to leave it on the floor instead.

This is why I did lock the wheel for about 9h with the app,to prevent coworkers playing with the wheel, while I'm away...

I must add, that because of the trolley handle, I'm no longer turning off the wheel while crossing the streets, so battery is continuously in use while commuting,both ways...

What's happened is, on my way back home the wheel started beeping and tilting me backwards.

I was surprised...

I've checked at work how much battery was left, after unlocking the wheel after work.

It was showing 11,2 miles left, and if I'm right 71%battery...

So I was surprised noticing the tilting back...

When I got home , I've checked the battery life immediately , it was 19, then 20, then 21% .

I must confess, I went fewer times up hill a bit, not much, but I took a bit different direction seeing crowd of people leaving the theatre ...

It was no more than 100 yards, maybe even less up hill...

Then continuously pushing the wheel by trolley handle...

Do you think guys, the whole experience did flattened the battery so quickly?

As far as I noticed, if the lock is applied, the wheel is not powered, but in sleep mode.

For sure is drying the battery as well, it has to :), but consumption of power must be very low any way.

I'm just thinking what's eaten around 50% battery so quickly, that I couldn't ride home in full power as I used to...

I should mention it was about 400 yards away of my house, so pretty close, but ...

The other days when commuting without the trolley handle being used, and no app lock, after getting home, I always had about 50% battery remaining..., today it was 20%...

Or maybe the readings wasn't exact when I've checked at the work place?

It's happened for first time, that the battery went short to cover commuting distance of about 10miles together...

I won't set the app's lock tomorrow, lets see if this is due to "lock on" for long time, or it's down to continuous usage of battery while pushing the wheel instead of turning off to cross the street?

But honesty, how much could I save battery, by turning off EUC just to cross an street sometime?

Any suggestions my friends?

Don't mention about upgrade,just yet :)

Can't afford ! Lol :)

Edited by PogArt Artur

Walking the wheel actually charges the battery. I guess the lock state consumes a lot more power than one imagine...

Keep us informed about the results tomorrow. Interesting...

Edited by pico
corr

Guest PogArt Artur
4 minutes ago, pico said:

Walking the wheel actually charges the battery. I guess the lock state consumes a lot more power than one imagine...

Keep us informed about the results tomorrow. Interesting...

So "walking" the wheel might be actually the positive point...

Good to know :)

As I said I won't "app lock" the wheel for tomorrow...

For the better test, I will try to repeat today's route including those few mentioned inclines ...

If I get home with healthy battery - then it'll be obvious what may cause the battery drainage :)

I'll update it tomorrow @pico.

Guest PogArt Artur
6 minutes ago, tessa25 said:

Any chance the charger wasn't plugged in all the way?

Probably it's not a case...

I've got the wheel for over two months now, I'm always charging until the green LED appears, and usually I keep it plugged in for a while longer...

Then I'm disconnecting charger.

This is actually my routine. 

46 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Probably it's not a case...

I've got the wheel for over two months now, I'm always charging until the green LED appears, and usually I keep it plugged in for a while longer...

Then I'm disconnecting charger.

This is actually my routine. 

Do a double check and get the voltage and chharge % reported from the wheel. Won't be the first time a wheel does not charge to full :(

Guest PogArt Artur
5 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Do a double check and get the voltage and chharge % reported from the wheel. Won't be the first time a wheel does not charge to full :(

So it's happens?

Some software bugs I guess...

Thanks, I'll try to look at it closely :)

12 hours ago, pico said:

Walking the wheel actually charges the battery.

If you mean regenerative braking, you’d have to push while tilting the wheel backwards to make it brake and hence regenerate.

Also, I don’t remember which self-balancing vehicle the specs were about, but the regen braking was programmed to activate only if the speed was above something like 10km/h, and the braking had to last more than 1-2 seconds.

12 hours ago, pico said:

I guess the lock state consumes a lot more power than one imagine...

This would be my guess as well. My A3 has a mains power button, and if turned off only from the remote, the battery will be empty in a week. At least the bluetooth systems are left active that way.

Guest PogArt Artur
5 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

If you mean regenerative braking, you’d have to push while tilting the wheel backwards to make it brake and hence regenerate.

Also, I don’t remember which self-balancing vehicle the specs were about, but the regen braking was programmed to activate only if the speed was above something like 10km/h, and the braking had to last more than 1-2 seconds.

This would be my guess as well. My A3 has a mains power button, and if turned off only from the remote, the battery will be empty in a week. At least the bluetooth systems are left active that way.

I didn't think the way you've explained charging while pushing, but you probably right!

How the wheel would regenerate the battery, if you making the wheel to use it's battery's power to move the wheel forward..?!

Tilting it back with the trolley handle is no possible in my case, as the trolley handle isn't sturdy enough, so It wasn't be actually any kind of enjoyment to push it in force...

Regarding what your suggestion is, the pushing actually drain the battery as well...

And you've mention the minimum speed, that the wheel needs to go to start the system's regenerating the battery's power, that's making good sense as well.

Thank you for sharing your point of view @mrelwood.

Guest PogArt Artur

AN  U P D A T E  :)

Well, as I promised :)
So I were doing everything as yesterday, pushing the wheel, going similar way, etc., except leaving app's lock on for over 8 hours...

When I got home, I've checked the battery asap, it was showing 46% left.
That means I had about 26% of strong battery life :)
It wasn't as windy as yesterday, and it wasn't rain too,though.

So it's hard to judge, but I'd like to believe, that leaving app's lock on for over 8h did drain the battery much quicker yesterday.

If I'd have to go shopping yesterday, I think I'd ended up on the bus back home...

Conclusion?
I won't use app's lock any more.
Unless I upgrade the wheel, lol  :)