Resonably priced pressure suit/lightweight armour?

I am struggling to find anything lightweight that doesn't cost the earth. I already have a 661 full armour zip-front suit, with padding and hard plates for the shoulders, elbows, spine and chest. You can buy similar for like £40 off the bay. But it's bulky and just a little bit much for cruising around at low speeds. Plus it makes you look like a hockey player, especially with an oversize dirt bike jersey over the top.

Given that all I am looking for is pretty much the same thing without the hard plates, you would think it would actually cost the same or less but for the life of me I can't find anything. I can even deal without the spine and chest protection, but I really want shoulders and elbows, all sewn in, so I can just zip/slip it on and off when needed. POC do a nice one, but it's like £175. I accept that cheaper usually means worse when it comes to protection, but I can't see how I can buy a full-on downhill suit for a quarter of the price of a lightweight one. The 661 one might not have the new fangled soft protection that the POC uses but with the addition of the plates, the 661 is pretty much bullet proof. ANY kind of padding will do me, better than nothing! 

Yeah, I had that trouble as well. After talking with a few motorcyclist friends, they convinced me that the expense is worth it. Good protective gear that is lightweight will cost. :/ So I eventually broke down and bought something in the $100-125USD range.