First wheel, to use for a long time, Australia

0wafi0

Hello there,

Over the past few weeks I've been looking at every corner of the internet to get myself an electric unicycle. But I am very perplexed at this stage. I am located in Australia, and I can't afford to just buy a cheaper beginner wheel and then upgrade to a formidable one. So I would highly appreciate if you guys could recommend a beginner wheel that I won't outgrow as soon as I get comfortable with it. I need it to use for everyday commutes to the groceries, going to the train station and things like that. I would much rather use electric vehicles than be dependant on oil and cars. Hence why I'm looking into an electric vehicle. Any recommendations are highly appreciated. I've looked into the ninebot z10, but they say it's not good for beginners at all.

Kind Regards,

wafi

• Upvote 1

Hi @0wafi0 and welcome to our community.

If you are looking to buy just one wheel to use for learning without out-growing, one option you may have is to look at buying a King Song wheel from One More Wheels (your local Australian distributor) and then protect it with an EUC Bodyguard - supplied by me, from Roll.nz - This will mean that you can drop your wheel as often as you feel the need while learning and it should come through the ordeal unscathed, ready for a longer and more sedate life with you!

I learnt on a cheap second hand airwheel x3 for 300$ off ebay .Simple easy and stacked it heaps and it didn't matter. Now got a Ks16s from skater hq in Sydney. If ur gonna spend on a good wheel then u definitely want The Fat,s bodyguard as ur gonna bang it up."Myself" I wouldn't go straight to a reasonable machine because its going to be dropped and don't forget the most important part.Get some good safety gear!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 0wafi0 said:

Do you guys find that speed is important? I need it for short commutes 2-3km, I see people putting emphasis on speed although I feel like too much speed for me would be dangerous

Yes and no. It depends on what speed range we are talking about. There are diminishing returns on higher speeds but also too little is very annoying. 

I would consider 35 km/h to be too low and just annoying to hit the limit all the time. On the other hand, speed above 45 km/h is not very important. It gets dangerous and uncomfortable. Some people like high speeds, though. On trails it is not even possible to ride very fast. On straight bike lanes it gets boring to ride too slow (if there are no other people). It might even be illegal to ride very fast. 

Just make sure you can ride fast enough and don’t compare the top speeds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0wafi0 said:

Do you guys find that speed is important? I need it for short commutes 2-3km, I see people putting emphasis on speed although I feel like too much speed for me would be dangerous

2-3km is for your basic needs. After you get familiar with EUC, you will find that it is very useful for longer trips. Brisbane isn't a small village. I was two times there (in hotel, waiting to engage my next ship), and it took me half an hour to reach the centre 

• Like 1

I leant on a V5F and recently bought a Z6. I maintain that the Z is noticeably easier to ride at low speed (up to 10mph) , but requires a different set of skills compared to the V5 to corner at higher speeds. If you bought a Z10 as a first wheel I dont think you would even think about it. IMO the zeds are great wheels. The only real problem is the risk of a DOA wheel and ongoing customer support. I cant make that decision for you..

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, Steve here from E-RIDERZ.  We are located in Brisbane and supply a range of electric unicycles within Australia.  Our range of EUC is growing. Inmotion, KingSong, Ninebot & Gotway.

@0wafi0 if you ended up buying an electric unicycle, reach out to me. Would be great to gather together all the EUC riders in Brissy region for regular group rides.

For anyone else in Australia looking for new EUC (or parts for their existing model), please contact me and we will do our best to assist.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just sent you a message through your website Steve, asking where you are now I know, couldn't be further. :(

I am in Perth and I really want to test my next wheel before I buy. I really like my MCM5, but I want to try a 16. It's between the Tesla, V10 and KS16S. I don't want to spend that much without trying first though. When I get over your way next perhaps I can. 

16in: kingsong ks-16s, inmotion v8, gotway tesla

18in: kingsong ks-18l, gotway msuper

It's hard to predict what you'll be interested in later when you haven't gotten started yet. Some like long rides. Some like offroading. Some like doing tricks. Some like convenience. These disciplines all have different "best" wheels.

It's a bit like asking, ok so I got my drivers license, what car should I buy to never need to buy another car again? 

I just came back from Brisbane and I noticed that all roads are narrow. That means speed is going to be limited. Road quality is quite good so you might not need the widest tires.

If you're a big guy over 80kg then I'd recommend a KS-18L, if below then a KS-16S.

I've never ridden a kingsong but they are amazing at offering best of all worlds kind of. For me personally I ride in a crowded city and with tons of carrying up stairs. Even thinking about carrying a 20+kg wheel around makes me dizzy. No thank you. Ultra light 14kg inmotion v8 with trolley handle for me please.

On 10/5/2019 at 1:51 AM, chopsywa said:

I just sent you a message through your website Steve, asking where you are now I know, couldn't be further. :(

I am in Perth and I really want to test my next wheel before I buy. I really like my MCM5, but I want to try a 16. It's between the Tesla, V10 and KS16S. I don't want to spend that much without trying first though. When I get over your way next perhaps I can. 

Thanks for your message.  I'll be in touch to discuss the 16inch models and see if we can find you a rider local to you in Perth so you can try one out first!

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 3:53 PM, E-RIDERZ said:

Thanks for your message.  I'll be in touch to discuss the 16inch models and see if we can find you a rider local to you in Perth so you can try one out first!

Thanks,

Steve

Actually, I’m in Perth and I’ve got a KS16S if chopsywa would like to try.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2019 at 3:16 AM, Munsense said:

@Munsense I reached out to chopsywa again, and I think he would like to meet up with some other riders in Perth now.  Can I put him in contact with you (and Jinnistellar) to check out the 16 inch KingSong wheels sometime?

All the best,

Steve

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 1:16 AM, Munsense said:

Sorry Munsense. I have been busy with work and didn't get back to the forum. That would be great. You can try out my MCM too if you like. Which area do you ride around most? I spend most time cruising around the river, through Elizabeth Quay, Optus stadium, South Perth Foreshore, etc. Sometimes I go up to Kalamunda on the off road walk trails. You will see that when you see my wheel.  :)  It gets good use.

• Like 1