Tesla tummy rumbles

I finally got my Tesla in hand. Bit disappointed with the seller at the moment for a few different reasons. Won't call them out just at the moment as it's how they respond in such circumstances.

Anyhow, just and observation. My Tesla makes a large grumbling sound like it's hungry. A high pitch whine is also present as is a kind of clicky/cogging sound when moving the euc forward or backward. I've looked at some other unboxings circa 2017 and i can hear some of that high pitch noise but the other two sound more worriesome (although to my ears that high pitch is tres annoying!)

Is this the standard experience? I am concerned that this might be a deeper rooted issue.

2nd what @meepmeepmayer has said. Is this your first wheel?

EUCs are notorious for making all kinds of grumbling, grind sounds while trolleying and at very low speeds.

The high pitched motor sound is normal but the trend in new wheels (except KingSong) is quietness. But the Tesla is of an older generation. When riding you (at least I can't) won't hear it.

• Like 2

thanks @meepmeepmayer and @Marty Backe.

Indeed this is my first wheel. I think I was just used to the silence of an e-scooter. Makes sense that there is some noise with the balancing magic going on inside. The electrical high pitch noise I can't stand. But I guess in the wild I won't notice it.

Another question I had is about the unit idle running temperature (ie, switch on but not travelling anywhere) and the temps during usage. I noticed idle temps of 30degrees C on mine when just switched on. Bearing in mind I'm in the UK so the concept of 30degC is an alien one (weather wise)!

I would like to know what the average safe running temps are for the unit (idle and in use) so I can monitor it (especially since this is an ali purchase and I suspect zero support for warranty). Also in the even there is one hot day this year I can ensure I don't over stress the unit (assuming I'm able to actually ride it at that point).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rinzler said:

Makes sense that there is some noise with the balancing magic going on inside.

No, that's just cheaply built motors and cheaply designed motor control. Sorry lol:D I'm sure it's possible to build silent motors, they just don't do it.

• Like 2

Silent is relative, noise will be made as power is used. The willing, cheerful grunt of 100s/1000s of feet of wire getting 100s/1000s of watts can be minimised but not eliminated. Each pulse of power rotating the wheel, and deflecting the tire against the ground, creates a single beat like a drum. Repeat fast like the motor control does, and the grunt of power (like a drum roll) results.

I'm in favor of increasing the controllers frequency further, as I can still hear the very high pitch. Thank goodness ambient noise blocks it out easily. I am the only one in my household who can hear it at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm sure my Tesla has asthma.

I've noticed it seems to make a loud rumble when I'm leaning to one side before getting on. Also at slow speed.

I've only done one kilometre inside my flat but just worried my unit is not running as it should.

Sounds like it's under load without me even on it.

Quick short audio clip for actual sounds.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/103ndVUmjFSX2VTJXvIfbcmmNH1Pq5P_v/view?usp=drivesdk

1 hour ago, rinzler said:

I'm sure my Tesla has asthma.

I've noticed it seems to make a loud rumble when I'm leaning to one side before getting on. Also at slow speed.

I've only done one kilometre inside my flat but just worried my unit is not running as it should.

Sounds like it's under load without me even on it.

Quick short audio clip for actual sounds.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/103ndVUmjFSX2VTJXvIfbcmmNH1Pq5P_v/view?usp=drivesdk

Is this a brand new Tesla?

Hard to tell for sure, but your control board might be getting a little lose. Believe me, it doesn't take much. Or it could be typical motor grumbling.

I would open the side panel and check/tighten the four screws that secure the control board to the shell and see if that helps.

Hi @Marty Backe. Yes it is a brand new Tesla. This is part of the issue I was having with my ali vendor.

I'll take a peak inside. I know the low hum should be there as discussed earlier (and I found an old 2017 youtube review in which I could hear a similar pitch). But the more noisy part is a concern.

I guess I've nothing to lose opening the side panels. Not like my vendor gives a sh!t with post sales service! I just didn't to accidentally break something before I've even put a couple of miles on it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rinzler said:

Hi @Marty Backe. Yes it is a brand new Tesla. This is part of the issue I was having with my ali vendor.

I'll take a peak inside. I know the low hum should be there as discussed earlier (and I found an old 2017 youtube review in which I could hear a similar pitch). But the more noisy part is a concern.

I guess I've nothing to lose opening the side panels. Not like my vendor gives a sh!t with post sales service! I just didn't to accidentally break something before I've even put a couple of miles on it!

Keep in mind that our wheels are extremely simple. If the control board is secure than I would consider the noise a non-issue. All my wheels growl a little or creak, etc.

Just read a thread about another forum user having their tesla fail after a few miles. 

I opened up one side and couldnt see anything looking out of place. Probably need to open up the other side.

I'm hoping it's just some wires vibrating against the plastic shell. 

Here's some more  video for a collective assessment.

Tesla Asthma 1

Tesla Asthma 2

20190614_193710.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That definitely isn't normal.

Maybe it's inside the motor, maybe from a loose wire in a bad coil weave.

What does your seller say? Try a lift test to see how it sounds if it spins fast without weight on the pedals.

The seller Green and Fashion travelling has washed their hands of it. I raised a dispute and only got a partial refund.

I wanted to exchange for a new unit but the seller refused asking me to post it back. That means I'd be down money having to post a 20kg package abroad. 

I'll just say it now. He has acted like a right 'cant'. Really, really dented my first foray into eucs.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Snowball said:

I'm sorry for you mate. Hope you solve your situation. 

Is it the Tesla V2 (the one with lift sensor?) or the V1.2?

Looks like the previous Tesla because no speaker grill. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 5:08 PM, rinzler said:

The seller Green and Fashion travelling has washed their hands of it. I raised a dispute and only got a partial refund.

I wanted to exchange for a new unit but the seller refused asking me to post it back. That means I'd be down money having to post a 20kg package abroad. 

I'll just say it now. He has acted like a right 'cant'. Really, really dented my first foray into eucs.

Sorry hear about your misfortune, that's part of the risk we take buying from Aliexpress, I bought a Tesla from the same seller 6 months back and I have had no issues whatsoever.

You could try calling up Ian at Speedy Feet to see if he could help you, although it might cost you some more to get the problem rectified, but don't let that bug you down, EUC riding is an awesome experience and the seller is a reputable seller.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:15 AM, rinzler said:

Just read a thread about another forum user having their tesla fail after a few miles. 

I opened up one side and couldnt see anything looking out of place. Probably need to open up the other side.

I'm hoping it's just some wires vibrating against the plastic shell. 

Here's some more  video for a collective assessment.

Tesla Asthma 1

Tesla Asthma 2

20190614_193710.jpg

a lot of eucs, especially gotways will grumble and gurgle while going slow or at standstill while riding.. this noise however is not one of them... to me it doesnt sound bad per se, but more like a vibration from somewhere.... have you tested the wheel while its open like that, or while holding it in the air does it make the same noise? it really sounds like there is a hard piece of plastic somewhere vibrating in a small gap to me.. unfortunately anything ordered from china will of course not be of any assistance unless it was literally dead on arrival or very clearly severly damaged.. they would absolutely consider this a non issue if it was just a noise... have you found anything at all in your investigation? could even be a loose screw somewhere.. definitely wouldnt be the first time ive heard of that... tbh if i were you i would just go somewhere with grass and burn around a bit.. see if it doesnt resolve itself

Edited by Rywokast