Can everyone learn to ride an EUC?

Gasmantle

As someone buying my first EUC this week I will soon have to learn to ride one, I'm physically able bodied and can ride a cycle so I'm not expecting any major issues (although it may take a few days) but I was wondering does anyone here know of someone who just simply could never get the hang of it?

How long did it take for you to manage a simple 50yd ride unaided?

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

but I was wondering does anyone here know of someone who just simply could never get the hang of it?

I've heard of many people here in NYC that have EUCs in their closet unlearned.

In the end, it depends on your will and stubbornness to learn, I think. 

But the answer to your thread title: Yes, anyone can learn.

9 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

I took me like after the 2nd or 3rd day, once I finally sucked up the courage to learn outside.

I would highly suggest you go immediately and learn outside, rather than succumb to the temptation of "learning" in a building hallway next to the comfort of leaning against walls.

• Upvote 1

no one can never get the hang of it.. they just quit before they do lol.. some can take weeks to get good enough to go to the store and back, some take minutes.. i was riding around the park within fifteen mins.. i suggest you go somewhere like an open field where the fear of falling can be eliminated, because thats by far the biggest thing holding people back, they abandon ship at the slightest hint of any wobble lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

As someone buying my first EUC this week I will soon have to learn to ride one, I'm physically able bodied and can ride a cycle so I'm not expecting any major issues (although it may take a few days) but I was wondering does anyone here know of someone who just simply could never get the hang of it?

here is the secret, anyone can learn anything.  there are those who haven't learned this secret yet.  and now you know.  

50 yards unaided require you to "click".  do you remember when you learned to ride a bicycle.  it is the same here.  at some point you will just know how to ride.  if you keep at it, 30 minute sessions, you will get it somewhere around 4-6 sessions.  you can't just stand on it and do nothing.  you must try.  wave your arms, twist your body.  anything besides standing on it like a stiff dead stick.

your brain is an amazing machine, it is also your worst enemy.  amazing in the sense you feed it data, you on the EUC for some time is the data it need to figure out the balance algorithm.  worst enemy in that your inner voice will tell you it is impossible.   it isn't.

I love to show noobs this video of an 80+ year old granny.  if she can do it, so can you!

I’ve had friends learn in half a hour, my 63 year old mom could do straight lines without support in two sessions.. It doesn’t take much skills, it’s not a balancing act. Like a bike, once the lizard brain gets it, you just don’t fall on the side.

It’s great fun, you’ll most probably be glad :)

There's a "Learning To Ride" thread pinned to the top of the forum, it's chock full of information and a fun read. Something to do while waiting for your wheel to arrive. It took me a while to get my protective gear sorted because things didn't fit, didn't look right, etc. So it's good to find info on which gear is good and works well. I had a few rounds of ordering and returning stuff.

If you can ride a bike, you can ride a EUC. The rest is overwhelmingly psychological. Some people are just easily scared or give up under resistance or whatever.

Don't be scared (enough protective gear to make you calm and happy is a big part of this) and don't be afraid of speed, speed is your friend, it stabilizes you. Just enjoy the process! A short 20 minute session every other day is easily enough, add more as you like, but don't stress yourself.

I often tell people that if they can balance themselves on one foot, they can learn to ride an euc.  If you pass the sense of balance requirement, then it is just a matter of time and practice.

10 minutes ago, JBoo said:

I often tell people that if they can balance themselves on one foot, they can learn to ride an euc.  If you pass the sense of balance requirement, then it is just a matter of time and practice.

maybe thats why i learned so quick lol.. ever since i can remember, especially at work whenever im standing in one spot i always stand only on one foot, then when i get tired just swap to the other foot.. idk why i just never stand on two feet

Took me about of month of practice before being able to fully ride it. One day I went out to practice and suddenly it clicked in my head and I was able to ride it further and further. 

There's too few points of contact to make riding the seatless EUC particularly easy, but the seated EUC with a handlebar which allows you to "paddle" your feet on the ground should allow you to learn sweat-free, without the drama of constantly stooping to pick up the wheel.

In my opinion, EUC manufacturers would do well to add the seat and the handlebar as training aids, because the steep learning curve of EUC comes from mounting the wheel and also relearning to use your legs instead instead of your arms to steer.