Wrapped ninebot Z6, cut down mudguard

Planemo

Added the logo, not sure if I will keep the Z6 part or not. Put the pads on the top half as I am finding that you do need to make contact quite firmly when cornering. Will see whether I prefer it or not. New bolts also arrived (16mm x 4mm allen head countersunk) so 20 of them went on too. Just gonna get out on it big time now :)

IMG_20190424_132910_134.thumb.jpg.57696b2ae1c2bda88aab9d67a4719992.jpg

Edited by Planemo

Give it a go mate! I imagine there would be a lot more spray in the rain but I never ride in the rain so no problem! You could probably get away with just running the 2 top screws but I used the top 2 side ones as well.

I only had the idea cos we all used to cut down the mudguards on our sports bikes years ago.

I don't think it will have quite the same effect if a trolley is fitted as well though. I haven't done mine yet despite how handy it would be but I just cant bear the sight of that goddawful lump of metal and plastic hanging off the back!

42 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Give it a go mate! I imagine there would be a lot more spray in the rain but I never ride in the rain so no problem! You could probably get away with just running the 2 top screws but I used the top 2 side ones as well.

I only had the idea cos we all used to cut down the mudguards on our sports bikes years ago.

I don't think it will have quite the same effect if a trolley is fitted as well though. I haven't done mine yet despite how handy it would be but I just cant bear the sight of that goddawful lump of metal and plastic hanging off the back!

I don't ride in the rain much either if i can help it , I'll update when i do it 😊 thx ,

Any hints on cutting and design preparation?😊

I traced the bottom of the guard onto a paper template with a biro but tbh it's a pain getting a decent line because of the compound curves. I initially tried to sellotape the paper on but it didn't really work so I kinda had to 'roll' the guard over the paper on a table, tracing as I went. It was enough to give me the rough shape which I then cut out and followed with a black felt tip higher up on the guard but if I am honest the final trimming (with a dremel and cylindrical sander attachment) was just done by eye and some measurements. The main cutting was done with a coping saw. I was going to use a thin blade in a jigsaw but chickened out on the basis it might be a bit vicious for a fairly thin bit of plastic.

If I get a chance I will take it back off and take a pic of the of the sides where it bolts on. Will give you an idea of where and how far up to cut around the side bolt areas :)

• Like 2

Guest PogArt Artur
On 4/22/2019 at 11:11 AM, Planemo said:

Got my Z6 finished this morning. I wrapped this because I bought it used and there were quite a few marks/scratches, plus the side panels on the Z6 are not carbon effect like the Z10 which I prefer. Used 3M carbon 1080 as I have used it before, it has a great pattern and is pretty flexible once heated. Oh and I also wrapped the whole of the side bottom sections - I think they look a little better than the mixed black/carbon of the original.

Also sprayed the footplates satin black to spruce them up a bit, and re-greased the pivots and bars as they were dry as a bone. I also bought some grip tape which I have not fitted yet. I haven't ridden the wheel much at all so not sure if I will need it or not. I never ride in the rain so maybe ok.

I love the Z's fat tyre but felt the original mudguard covered up too much of it, but also thought the wheel looked unfinished without it. So I made a template of the shape of the bottom of the stock mudguard and transferred it further up. I am really happy how it came out. I was originally going to wrap it as well but think I will leave it as as the plain black fits in with the black surround of the rear light.

I am still waiting on the new allen head bolts which I will swop out when they arrive, and have ordered a custom ninebot logo to go on each side panel.

Right, gonna try and get out with my daughter for a ride today!

IMG_20190422_092846_813.thumb.jpg.b63120b7749b03600cb9eaf328843cdb.jpg

IMG_20190422_093020_850.thumb.jpg.843a26ca941603df5d8b6024bd034549.jpg

That's amazing finish indeed!

15 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Here you go Stephen, just to give you an idea of the cut line I used to maintain use of the side bolts with minimal mudguard:

IMG_20190428_112621_083.thumb.jpg.69681faef9a51090e733a2e34a8efda3.jpg

@Planemo thanks very much looks cool ,i do like the look when it's on , cheers:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Oh right cheers! I presume you did the same then...which one of your many wheels did you do? I will have a search for it!

40477213283_daac380aaf_b.jpg

Ah right! Looks good! You are the original!

I even took off the awful black metal chunk at the bottom of the trolley to try and make it stop hurting my eyes - it helped a bit but not enough for me to fit the trolley without it. Maybe when I get caught out one day wishing I had a trolley, I will change my mind!

• 4 months later...

Just thought I would tack this on the end of this Z6 thread despite me now having a new Z10.

For no reason other than for giggles, I replaced all the external bolts on the Z with gold anodised ones. I think it looks pretty good. Kinda blingy/kinda steampunkish for the grand sum of 9 quid.

I took the opportunity to apply copperslip to them all when fitting. The Z has a penchant for the metal bolt inserts to corrode, and if they bind up on the bolts you will rip them out of the plastic surrounds when trying to take out the bolts. Be warned if you havent moved the bolts for some time.

Edited by Planemo