Riding an EUC on UK roads / pavements

Gasmantle

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first EUC on Tuesday and wonder what reaction other UK riders get from the police when riding on roads or pavements?

My understanding is they are illegal in public areas but I haven't heard of anyone being challenged by the police, is it a case of the police turning a blind eye so long as a bit of common sense is used?Surely with climate change and environmental issues high on the current political agenda it makes sense to encourage EUC use.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Gasmantle said:

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first EUC on Tuesday and wonder what reaction other UK riders get from the police when riding on roads or pavements?

My understanding is they are illegal in public areas but I haven't heard of anyone being challenged by the police, is it a case of the police turning a blind eye so long as a bit of common sense is used?Surely with climate change and environmental issues high on the current political agenda it makes sense to encourage EUC use.

That's interesting subject, as I've been watching tv news from Poland...

I know it's out of your interest, but the case is silly, forgive me sharing :)

So...

At one of the city centre you can find the open to the public renting point of the electric scooters, to let people to pass the distance of their destination quicker, and environment friendly, and obviously enjoy the riding ...

- A scooter user then, was going its way, and at a front of his direction of riding somebody was taking photos of a woman, the rider was about to pass that woman behind, when suddenly she had made a step back, straight into oncoming scooter!

They had a crash.

The woman had been taken to local hospital,because she had to been seen by the doctor...

The scooter got damaged, and the rider was ok.

The woman did get the fine issued by Police officer, even though she got hurt...

Now comes the polish law thing :)

The scooters are still out of any controlling paragraphs in polish law :)

Because the usage of electric scooters aren't specified, the rider on the scooter is still treated as a pedestrian by the law :)

Pedestrian (human) can jogging fast as scooter do (23km/h) - this is explanation why it's treated as a pedestrian :)

The electric scooter are prohibited on bicycles lanes, and on the streets (BECAUSE THEY'RE PEDESTRIANS BY THE LAW) the ONLY place they can go it's pedestrian pavements then!, even though they can go 23km/h and cause hazard  :)

So the woman in the case above, by stepping onto the oncoming scooter did cause the accident and even though she got injured, she still had to pay the fine ...

The scooter's user was set free obviously, he could't avoid the accident at all :)

Why I'm telling that story?

It's because the law is way behind!

The electric scooters are invisible for the law, even though they're rented in public, and when the other users been asked by the journalist, if they travel on pavements only, all those people being reviewed, have said they go any way that's possible , so on the roads, bicycle lanes or such :) because to them it's kind of bicycle :)

At least they're legal, but on pavements only :) , because in a law they're still pedestrians?

Lol !

I'm scared if I'm thinking of those stupid "law" rules, that can't function logically?!

Edited by PogArt Artur

I second Smoother. EUC's are illegal pretty much everywhere in the UK except private land. Be sensible, dont upset anyone and ride with care, avoiding old bill at all costs.

As has been mentioned, they have far more on their plate than to deal with EUC riders, but much of the problem in policing is that as soon as a complaint is made, a report must be filed and any available action taken despite what the officer themselves may feel is 'not in the public interest'. Woe betide them if the officer were to turn a blind eye to an EUC'er and it gets caught on camera/reported by a witness and that the officer ignored it.

Its a crying shame, but common sense and discretion was eradicated from British bobbies about 15 years ago.

The short story is that most bobbies will try their hardest to ignore you (except maybe traffic police) as it is as much as they can do to take a piss/eat something let alone process an EUC'er, but dont twist their arm.

• Upvote 1

The be considerate and discreet is the key thing i think. Certainly on my escooter i manage my speed when i see the rozzers. I throw in the occasional kick scoot to add to the "nothing yo see here" ruse. 

With that being said I'm not sure how I'll be discreet riding a Tesla on the pavement (don't worry I'm not a bellend that will do silly speeds heck i can't even use one yet) wearing a full face helmet. I am paranoid about face planting but equally the more visually padded up (and i think a full face helmet looks hardcore) the more it will look out of place and attract attention. 

Not sure the route to take. Got my cycle helmet in the interim. Body armour, wrist guards and gloves can all be made discreet. But that chin guard...

Guest PogArt Artur

I went through those thoughts guys, and my confidence is down.

For commuting I have a motorbike open face helmet, in white...

It's because of -> extra protection+any weather+added visibility in a dark.

Also high vis jacket.

No matter what, I'll be catching attention like a christmas tree.

I mean, it's all for my protection,as riding in a public is risky because of the cars, other vehicles etc.

If the car driver won't clock me up crossing the street on a time, he will knock me out for sure sooner or later.

How to cope with the above, to pretend being chameleon,and at the same time let the traffic see you.

I'm left to "turning blind eye" on me, but how long it last for :)

12 hours ago, rinzler said:

With that being said I'm not sure how I'll be discreet riding a Tesla on the pavement (don't worry I'm not a bellend that will do silly speeds heck i can't even use one yet) wearing a full face helmet. I am paranoid about face planting but equally the more visually padded up (and i think a full face helmet looks hardcore) the more it will look out of place and attract attention. 

2 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Also high vis jacket.

No matter what, I'll be catching attention like a christmas tree.

I mean, it's all for my protection,as riding in a public is risky because of the cars, other vehicles etc.

If the car driver won't clock me up crossing the street on a time, he will knock me out for sure sooner or later.

How to cope with the above, to pretend being chameleon,and at the same time let the traffic see you.

I'm left to "turning blind eye" on me, but how long it last for :)

Those are both very good point in a country/jurisdiction that forbids EUC riding.  Hard to blend in to the crowd wearing a full face helmet and M/C jacket, when everyone else is in shorts and a Tee shirt.  The worlds worst where's Waldo (Wally) game.

@rinzler this is not a recommendation, but I never wear a helmet (but I only ride on the road its self, in quiet areas).  My wheel is max 22mph and I never see that so my crashes are relatively benign (although you would have to offer me a lot of money to reproduce one on demand.  Benign or not, they are never fun). As a result when the po po comes around the corner I can quickly divert, step off, and blend in  with the walking dead. (like Sean of "Sean of the dead", trying to get to the Winchester, unnoticed)

Quote "If the car driver won't clock me up crossing the street on a time, he will knock me out for sure sooner or later."  @PogArt Artur We are an alien life force, and as a result people don't know how to deal with us,and often they don't even see us (because we are not where they thought we should be- being pedestrians and therefor "slow").  It is your responsibility not to be hit by a car.  If a car hits you (a car that is not out of control) it is your fault (maybe not legally, but practically) because you assumed he would do something different, when you should have been operating on the assumption that he would do the thing you didn't want him to do.  Make sure you know what the driver is about to do and adjust accordingly.

To use the example in my quote of you.  Don't cross that street while a car is approaching closely.  Wait for the car to pass, check that no others are close enough to hurt you, then cross. The ability to step off and remount from one leg is important here.  If you haven't got this skill mastered you tend to want to not stop, which sometimes put you in danger. This is why street riding is a much more advanced practice than some people realise.  The local park or garden is not the same as mixing it up with pedestrians and vehicles at speed.

• Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
38 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Those are both very good point in a country/jurisdiction that forbids EUC riding.  Hard to blend in to the crowd wearing a full face helmet and M/C jacket, when everyone else is in shorts and a Tee shirt.  The worlds worst where's Waldo (Wally) game.

@rinzler this is not a recommendation, but I never wear a helmet (but I only ride on the road its self, in quiet areas).  My wheel is max 22mph and I never see that so my crashes are relatively benign (although you would have to offer me a lot of money to reproduce one on demand.  Benign or not, they are never fun). As a result when the po po comes around the corner I can quickly divert, step off, and blend in  with the walking dead. (like Sean of "Sean of the dead", trying to get to the Winchester, unnoticed)

Quote "If the car driver won't clock me up crossing the street on a time, he will knock me out for sure sooner or later."  @PogArt Artur We are an alien life force, and as a result people don't know how to deal with us,and often they don't even see us (because we are not where they thought we should be- being pedestrians and therefor "slow").  It is your responsibility not to be hit by a car.  If a car hits you (a car that is not out of control) it is your fault (maybe not legally, but practically) because you assumed he would do something different, when you should have been operating on the assumption that he would do the thing you didn't want him to do.  Make sure you know what the driver is about to do and adjust accordingly.

To use the example in my quote of you.  Don't cross that street while a car is approaching closely.  Wait for the car to pass, check that no others are close enough to hurt you, then cross. The ability to step off and remount from one leg is important here.  If you haven't got this skill mastered you tend to want to not stop, which sometimes put you in danger. This is why street riding is a much more advanced practice than some people realise.  The local park or garden is not the same as mixing it up with pedestrians and vehicles at speed.

I was so after a proper motorbike helmet, to help me commuting, by blocking the wind (flies,dust in the air) off my eyes, rainy days, or such.

On the other hand, wearing this extra size helmet,will make me highly sticking out off the cluster (my new word learnt recently @Smoother) , not allowing to blend within if necessary...

Now I'm thinking - should I wearing that helmet or not.

So many doubts, no clear answer :)

I understand your advice clearly @Smoother regarding me avoiding accidents rather, than counting on proper reaction of the drivers.

I know it well, I'm not about to use high visibility,to claim on the drivers do mind me approaching...

I'm still not being skilled, still carry on learning/improving.

I mean, I'm behaving like a common pedestrian in this matter.

Stopping at the end of the pavement, waiting for cars to past, if the street is clear - I'm crossing.

Most of the cases on foot, then I'm getting on the wheel when on the other side, safe :)

By mentioning white helmet and wearing high vis jacket, I did't mean I'm about to change my behaviour while commuting,but I tried to point out only the fact, that shit happens :)

I might hit the pedestrian,or crash because of being unnoticeable?

Therefore being hit by a car is very likely,while commuting at busy town centre...

From my point of view, we supposed to be seen by pedestrians,drivers,cyclists?

Just one example popping up my mind right now - I can easily imagine me commuting back home at very late night hours...

Let's imagine me riding along the pavement then, pretending chameleon...

At any time crazy youths may would want to run over that pavement by racing their car on deserted town street, being drugged or drunk, whatever...

There's always a good thing to be noticed by them?

If they won't see me, they might run me over not knowing I'm there...

Maybe I'm wrong, but knowing myself, I'm aware that if I don't see the bright collar in the dark of the dog at a front of me - I will run the dog over for 100%.

I might avoid the incident if I'm aware by any means, the dog is there...

This is why I'll rather make myself visible...

Just in case of bad luck might happen at any time :)

Edited by PogArt Artur

I've ordered a demon flex force x (d3o) https://demonsnow.com/store/DS 1650 Flex Force Pro top V2  top. Low density enough (apart from the slightly hump back) to sit under a hoody. I've also ordered the x2 https://demonsnow.com/store/X2-D3O-Mens-Top to compare the density. I'm not sure how foam will protect me so I'm leaning toward the  X1. 

I now understand the steep learning curve of this hobby. I'm starting to see the benefit of a crappy starter wheel. As it stands I've gone all in so I'm going to make myself like it! 

With the steep learning curve I've realised I'm not going to venture out until I have slow figure 8 tunrs (clockwise and anti-clockwise) dialled in. Fortunately for me there is a car park at my property that I can practice in isolation.

I'll use my bicycle helmet and wrist guards for now but will look to a full face if my speed starts to increase over 20mph.

I knew there was a reason I went the escooter route years ago instead of this one... (I also never liked eskateboards like the boosted board too for this whole being thrown off reason - escooter you get an extra split second to to pivot off the handle bar)

2 hours ago, tessa25 said:

Here are a couple of ideas for stealth:

Macna Hoodie  

Flannel look shirt

I looked at these and then rationalised that I don't want to go out with a change of clothes. Hence the low density armour. I can get a hoody or a jumper on comfortably enough to commute. Then on arrival I'd just throw the armour in  a bag.

Just thinking about it there is two very distinct schools of EUC rider here - commuter and freerider. The latter is likely to be less bothered about appearance. The former (me) needs to swiftly be able to go from protected to work/social mode very quickly and with the least amount of luggage given that the euc itself will be 15KG++.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

wearing high vis jacket,

No problem there.  Hi Viz is so common on the streets of the UK that no one will give you a second look.

Cluster? When did I use Cluster? unless it was followed by a word that starts with F and ends with UCK.

Today I ran into some cops. so I went full ninja and disappeared into the ether.  Better safe than sorry.

I've been thinking, even with a helmet one can go into stealth mode, just take the helmet off.

Edited by Smoother

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Smoother said:

No problem there.  Hi Viz is so common on the streets of the UK that no one will give you a second look.

Cluster? When did I use Cluster? unless it was followed by a word that starts with F and ends with UCK.

Today I ran into some cops. so I went full ninja and disappeared into the ether.  Better safe than sorry.

I've been thinking, even with a helmet one can go into stealth mode, just take the helmet off.

No, not you have used "cluster" @Smoother, but me, I said - it's mine new word,that I've learnt recently :)

You right regarding high vis! Lol :)

They in common use , lol :)

Today I were crossing the street, while cops van appeared behind joining the traffic...

Lol...

I though, why should I provoke them for nothing...

So I carried on walking,until they've past me, lol :)

Best regards :)