Community effort to improve KingSong app text

svenomous

My very first EUC, a KS18XL, is scheduled to arrive next week, and I've been following threads for a few weeks as a form of vicarious living. One thing that seems extremely clear is that the KS app, both on Android and on iPhone, is...suboptimal. Apart from there being apparently multiple versions of the app in the Store with confusingly similar names, and there being connection issues and some kind of authentication/lockout issues at times, the screenshots I've seen show appallingly bad English.  Funny at times, surely, but also very distracting and adding to the difficulty of use.

I work in the software industry, and I'm wondering if KS would consider putting their language resource files for languages other than Simplified Chinese up somewhere (preferably GitHub, but a more primitive file-based download/upload method could be used, too), and maybe use this forum to coordinate a community effort to properly localize the resources.  Normally, localization is done from source language (in this case zh-CN, as in Simplified Chinese) into the target language (e.g. en-US, as in English for the United States), but even the poor English resources that already exist could enable a non-bilingual user who is familiar with the app to provide better translations.  This could also enable some cross-translations into other languages that the app does not currently have.  KS could gather the localized files back into their source control, build, release to the Store or Google Play, and we would all benefit.

@US69 is the KS rep on the forums, right?

Just a thought....

As an additional general thought, my impression is that KS has some of the (if not the) highest-quality (if admittedly not highest-speed) wheels, with the best safety-mindedness in their designs, and perhaps it is time for them to take a timeout for a month or two from wheel model/feature development and nail that app quality.  Seems like they have an opportunity to lay claim to being the first to have a truly great app, as my understanding is that most if not all other wheel manufacturers have similarly bad apps.

I support this, and would suggest to review spoken messages like “please decelerate” to “slow down” from a native speaker, preferably female as high pitch can be played louder in small speakers.

As for app / github I can do French translation if English is taken care of.

9 hours ago, Mimolette said:

I support this, and would suggest to review spoken messages like “please decelerate” to “slow down” from a native speaker, preferably female as high pitch can be played louder in small speakers.

Oh yes please, if we can change the voice or disable "bluetooth is off" when powered on... So embarrassing in office !!!

57 minutes ago, TomOnWheels said:

Oh yes please, if we can change the voice or disable "bluetooth is off" when powered on... So embarrassing in office !!!

hell yes i hate that.. at least say it right... "bluh-tooth.. is off" so annoying lol

10 hours ago, Mimolette said:

i hate the spoken messages luckily you can just change warnings to beeps.. i would prefer it if my kingsong wheels never made a single noise ever since i have zero worries about anything.. im wearing headphones anyways but i can imagine it could be annoying for other people lol

The beeping isn’t very loud anyhow, I can barely hear it with the wind in my ears. Ninebot S2, that’s beeping from a proper piezo buzzer.

(for Kingsong I believe you cut the warnings by lowering that speed to zero)

Archived