Boosted is coming out with a kick scooter

erk1024

From what I can tell, the PEV space is mostly skateboards, One Wheel's, EUC's, Segways and the e-scooter, with the e-scooter dominating in terms of sales. Boosted (probably the top skateboard maker) is teasing a new scooter. The scooter market is super crowded already. Officially announced 5/15.

Edited by erk1024
added announcement date
  • Upvote 3

As far as I can tell:

Ebikes are still PEV king, a familiar form factor.

Ekick scooters are quickly catching up to ebikes, but this is primarily in the scooter sharing space, especially since the current lineups are composed of cheaply made entry level scooters, prone to breakage within a few months of public day-in, day-out usage.

Then further behind in 3rd place is eboards, led by the excellent marketing of Boosted, then followed further behind in 4th place with the equally excellently marketed Onewheel.

Then at the very bottom I think sits the Segway/hoverboard category, alongside a slowly and steadily growing last place EUC  category.

But clearly in the past year, out of all PEV, ekick scooters have been the biggest growth PEV for sure, hence every non-ekick scooter PEV company has explored models of their own (Ninebot, Gotway, King Song, InMotion, Inboard, and now even Boosted)

Wish we had actually figures though *smh

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Ekick scooters are quickly catching up

Good point about e-bikes. I was floored by this statistic. In Ft. Lauderdale Florida, in three months the rentable e-scooters had racked up over 300,000 rides. You have to figure some percentage of those people will go out and buy one after trying it.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-ne-fort-lauderdale-electric-scooters-20190205-story.html

Edited by erk1024
clarification
  • Upvote 1

On 4/20/2019 at 7:10 PM, houseofjob said:

Ekick scooters are quickly catching up to ebikes, but this is primarily in the scooter sharing space, especially since the current lineups are composed of cheaply made entry level scooters, prone to breakage within a few months of public day-in, day-out usage.

eScooters seem to last about a month.

https://mashable.com/article/escooter-lifespan-shared-new-models/

They can make them far more durable for normal usage but that doesn't address the vandalism problem.

For the vandalism problem, may I suggest a simple solution: make all eScooters cost $500, place cameras and a rent a cop nearby, and when the eScooter gets vandalized, prosecute the few hundred felons in each city as felons. They'll get the message, and those that do not will be in jail causing no more problems.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

address the vandalism problem

That's interesting! I also wondered about them getting stolen. When I was researching e-skateboards I ran across guys who sell replacement control boards for Xoami scooters. Basically you could grab a Lime scooter off the street, replace the control board, and be good to go. (Just hope you don't get caught)

On 4/23/2019 at 3:39 AM, Jambo said:

I just wonder what boosted are going to be able to offer here that could be remotely disruptive to the market other than an army of brand-loyal consumers?

I agree. It seems like we have an e-scooter bubble, where a bunch of companies have looked at the projections and jumped into the market. Which means there will be over-supply at some point, things will get ugly, companies will go out of business or get out of the market, and then the industry will consolidate on a few manufacturers. Seems like that kind of happened already in the e-wheel segment.

Edited by erk1024

I don't know about you guys, but I value free hands at low velocity. Now at high velocities I greatly value a handlebar. If this scooter is going to be a 30+ mph creation, I might look into it. Otherwise it's not even on my radar.

The Boosted Scooter teasers are not having the desired effect on my enthusiasm for the product. I'm posting this video just for the sake of completeness. I'm waiting for a unique selling point. Boosted is good at controls, and they look nice... gnarled thumb wheels and all that. And it has a light. Good. And ... ???

Edited by erk1024

Here's Part 3, and ... styling kinda looks like a Xiaomi Pro. Appears to have motors in both wheels. Nice fat wheels. But ya know, so do the Dualtron and its clones. Those are pin-your-ears-back and go 40+ mph scooters. Girls like to lovingly touch the usually dirty disk brakes. So that's good, I guess.

Edited by erk1024

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 7:46 AM, erk1024 said:

This was announced, and now you can pre-order. Looks cool. 46 pounds, 1500 watts. $1500

https://boostedboards.com/vehicles/scooters/boosted-rev/

Looks like it will be a lot of fun for anyone who's only experience is with Bird/Lime, but probably not going to be a favourite for the more hardcore enthusiasts who can get more power for less money

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

not going to be a favourite for the more hardcore enthusiasts who can get more power for less money

Agree. Seems like a good balance between power, weight, range. And Boosted does a nice job with the industrial design and the controls. But not much in the way of suspension.

Edited by erk1024

29 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

But not much in the way of suspension either.

That's the big problem with this Boosted scooter IMHO.

All the major escooter companies (not the sharing ones like Lime or Bird) hang their hats on their suspensions because this is a major factor to the knowledgeable escooter community (no shocks on small wheels = full body bone shudder + eventual knee pain), but this $1,600 Rev has none?

It's clear the Boosted guys either a.) don't actually ride enough escooters, or b.) don't stray away from their perfectly paved West Coast roads, because no suspension on such a mid-level priced escooter is kind of inexcusable (unlike EUC, pneumatic tires alone cannot comfortably cover the lack of suspension IMHO, due to the smaller tire diameter).

I will say though, judging by some of the videos, it's nice to see Boosted took extra care in engineering the handlebar post collapse mechanism (ease of folding + sturdiness), as that is a big Achilles heel for many of the China-manufactured escooters, some more than double the price.

Edited by houseofjob