New MSX with Pedal defect.

I just received my Gotway MSX 84V and took it for a a quick test drive.

I kept feeling like I needed to adjust my feet, and then I noticed that I had to bend one knee in order to feel like I was balanced, and going streight. 

Upon further inspection I noticed that One Pedal doesn’t close flush to the side of the unicycle while the other closes perfectly, which results in an asymmetric riding stands, 2 different pedal angles, and the crooked pedal doesn’t stay closed as firmly to the unicycle and flops open. 

I notified the seller, and I’m really hoping he is able to take care of this. Such a beautiful day here in Tacoma Washington and I really wanted to ride today, but I just can’t put any miles on this thing the way it is.

This seems like a pretty obvious defect, and I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of defect coming from Gotway before?

83AC9F1B-174B-4A78-A3ED-315DF7C6FD93.jpeg

idk how not closing all the way should make any difference whatsoever.. how about open lol.. can we see a pic straight on from the front with both pedals unfolded?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

idk how not closing all the way should make any difference whatsoever.. how about open lol.. can we see a pic straight on from the front with both pedals unfolded?

There it is.. This is a streight on shot with pedals  open all the way. As for the pedal closing, I can definitely feel the difference between the right and left. The Right pedal stays closed with what seems to be a strong magnet, while the left doesn’t make contact accept at one side of the pedal, so it doesn’t stay closed nearly as firmly. 

31F388AB-E81C-48F6-806A-40C9C06FC6CF.jpeg

Edited by routb3d
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, routb3d said:

the left doesn’t make contact accept at one side of the pedal

It seems the left side pedal ”pin” is bent. It’s the round ~8mm diameter bar that functions as the pedal hinge. It may have gotten a hit in transit. Not the first, and not a Gotway exclusive.

I wouldn’t do anything before you hear from the seller. But if for some reason the warranty doesn’t work out:

In order to even get the pin out it must be straightened as much as possible. For example putting a cover between the pedal and the wheel body, and using a heavy hammer to hit on the side that doesn’t close properly.

Once it is straight, it can be removed and replaced. But since it is now straight, the issue has also been kinda solved. Getting a once bent pedal pin out may still require a lot of force, which will slightly loosen the holes the pin is in. Not that it should be an issue done just once and with WD-40 though.

9 hours ago, Rywokast said:

return that lol

Agreed. For the price and with a brand new wheel, it must be good. Let your seller deal with it. New pedals (if it's only the pedals that are damaged) or a return.

-

IF the seller doesn't come through (then please name and shame), you can get those pedal pins (if only they are the problem) on Speedy Feet: https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/msuper-x-parts/products/msuper-v3-footplate-parts-set

Can you tell which part is bent? The pedal bracket that the pedal is attached to, the pedal, or maybe the pin holding the pedal on the bracket?

My MSuper V3s+ had/has a crappy pedal out of the box. Not bent like yours, but poorly fitted and hits the shell. It didn't affect my ride and the thought of returning the wheel with all the hassle that entails and time without the wheel, kept me from doing anything. The wheel has been great.

My MSX pedal looks like yours, but that happened during a violent crash. Hasn't affected my riding so I haven't replaced it.

I'm not convinced that it's a bent rod (I don't see how even Gotway would have been able to insert a bent rod). Could be that the pedal itself is warped? That would be the best scenario because then you can just replace the pedal.

If the pedal hanger looks good, I would just ride the wheel and work with the reseller to get a new pedal/rod for eventual replacement. If there's something wrong with the pedal bracket, return the wheel if at all possible. That is something you do not want to replace yourself on a brand new wheel. Major operation.

You need to remove the pedal right now to ascertain what the actual problem is (bent rod, warped pedal, defective pedal hanger) and go from there.

The massive disruption of returning the wheel isn't worth it to me, but of course we all have different thresholds.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If the pedal hanger looks good, I would just ride the wheel and work with the reseller to get a new pedal/rod for eventual replacement. If there's something wrong with the pedal bracket, return the wheel if at all possible. That is something you do not want to replace yourself on a brand new wheel. Major operation.

You need to remove the pedal right now to ascertain what the actual problem is (bent rod, warped pedal, defective pedal hanger) and go from there.

Quoted for thruth. The seller will probably also want to know what the problem is, even if you have to return the wheel.

Remove the bad pedal and have a look. The only tool you need is a hex key.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was really looking hard at it this morning, and can’t pinpoint without a doubt where the error is coming from.

I think the direction I’ve been given in this thread is correct.

I will remove the pedal, and verify that the hole on the hanger isn’t drilled crooked. After that, it will be easy to determine weather The whole thing goes back, or the pedal and pin need replacement.

I’m really hoping it’s not the hanger! I have already waited a really long time to have this, and the weather around here is just starting to turn in my favor.

In my limited tests with the wheel, I can see that I’m going to have a lot of fun with this wheel. I feel like the king of the road with how elevated I feel above the ground.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll be back to record my conclusions here.

• Like 1

That's very interesting. Neither of my pedals touch the shell when closed.  I had thought it was a design feature because it prevents scuffing on my shell. 

20190422_112017.thumb.jpg.c93b867a173c399d7ce22c8391242f06.jpg20190422_112031.thumb.jpg.e1d7a83dc822575962f3657c6d1211a5.jpg

Edited by GQS

24 minutes ago, routb3d said:

*Update

Gotway thinks the problem is with the pedal. I'm not so sure. They are sending me a new pedal with pin via DHL. We will see.

But didn't you remove the pedal and inspect the situation.  Should be easy to see if the pedal is warped, pedal rod bent, or pedal hanger bent/drilled-wrong, etc.

There really should be no mystery here.

• Upvote 2

On 4/25/2019 at 9:10 AM, Marty Backe said:

But didn't you remove the pedal and inspect the situation.  Should be easy to see if the pedal is warped, pedal rod bent, or pedal hanger bent/drilled-wrong, etc.

There really should be no mystery here.

I actually didn’t remove the pedal. Wheel Tech had a look at the pictures and immediately sent me a new pedal and pin via DHL.

I decided to wait until the new pedal came to take anything apart, and was halfway doubting that the pedal would fix the problem, but I was pleasantly surprised when I received the pedal and installed.

I found that the pedal wasn’t the problem, but the pin was seriously bent. It’s a good thing that Gotway sent the pedal as well, because it took a hell of a pounding to get the pin out, which Appears to have marred the threads on it’s way out.

It’s a good thing that it wasn’t the hanger. The Weather has been nice around here and I couldn’t resist riding my MSX around, even with a wacky pedal. I don’t know that Gotway would have taken the MSX back with 100 miles on the odometer.

Thanks for all the help people. It’s really nice to know that the community is so supportive here.

Isaiah

BD235C3B-3659-48DC-A5E6-C55967DB9015.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, routb3d said:

I actually didn’t remove the pedal. Wheel Tech had a look at the pictures and immediately sent me a new pedal and pin via DHL.

I decided to wait until the new pedal came to take anything apart, and was halfway doubting that the pedal would fix the problem, but I was pleasantly surprised when I received the pedal and installed.

I found that the pedal wasn’t the problem, but the pin was seriously bent. It’s a good thing that Gotway sent the pedal as well, because it took a hell of a pounding to get the pin out, which Appears to have marred the threads on it’s way out.

It’s a good thing that it wasn’t the hanger. The Weather has been nice around here and I couldn’t resist riding my MSX around, even with a wacky pedal. I don’t know that Gotway would have taken the MSX back with 100 miles on the odometer.

Thanks for all the help people. It’s really nice to know that the community is so supportive here.

Isaiah

BD235C3B-3659-48DC-A5E6-C55967DB9015.jpeg

Thanks for letting us know the final solution. Wonder how it got bent to begin.

Glad you're now able to enjoy your new wheel :cheers:

Wow, I'm surprised you even got that out of the hangar without cutting it! Good work!

As Marty says, I wonder how it got bent...no damage on the shipping box I take it? It would have to be a fairly big whack to bend an 8mm steel bar.

• Like 1

On 20.04.2019 at 22:55, routb3d said:

Właśnie otrzymałem mój Gotway MSX 84V i wziąłem go za szybką jazdę próbną.

Ciągle czułem, że muszę regulować stopy, a potem zauważyłem, że muszę zgiąć jedno kolano, aby czuć się zrównoważonym i poruszającym. 

Po dalszej kontroli zauważyłem, że One Pedal nie zamyka się równo z bokiem monocyklu, podczas gdy drugi zamyka się idealnie, co skutkuje asymetrycznymi stojakami do jazdy, 2 różnymi kątami pedału, a krzywy pedał nie pozostaje zamknięty tak mocno unicycle i klapy otwarte. 

Powiadomiłem sprzedawcę i naprawdę mam nadzieję, że jest w stanie się tym zająć. Taki piękny dzień tutaj w Tacoma Washington i naprawdę chciałem jeździć dzisiaj, ale po prostu nie mogę położyć mil na tę rzecz taką, jaką jest.

Wydaje się to dość oczywistą wadą i zastanawiam się, czy ktokolwiek inny widział tego rodzaju wady pochodzące z Gotwaya wcześniej?

83AC9F1B-174B-4A78-A3ED-315DF7C6FD93.jpeg

please tell me where you bought the wheel