EUC tire management

tata

I get the old inner tube out and did find a hole in it. I am going to put the new one in later. Is it a good idea to slime the new inner tube? does slime also help to prevent damage and protect the inner tube in advance?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Just this weekend during a group ride, @Dave U's son's wheel had a flat. We pulled the nail (looked like an upholstery nail) out of the tire and it was flat. He had not pre-slimed the tire but he had everything needed. Filled the tube with some Slime and inflated the tire and we continued our ride as if nothing happened :thumbup:

Great group ride, got to see all the scenery this ride had to offer, especially at Hooters :w00t2:. Wow I went off topic here :facepalm: (EUC Tire Management).

Got to slime our first EUC flat with the help of @Marty Backe @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" knowledge and some slime, in what seemed like the fastest tire fix. 

Just checked the tire pressure, still holding at 42psi, no lost of air pressure.

Lesson learned: Pre-Slime a tire prior to a mishap. 

• Like 1

I have successfully change the innertube and gave it a test ride without problem. I realized how the battery goes down much slower with the correct tire pressure. Thank you everyone!

• Like 2

So how often or how much range do you ride before a tire/innertube change on normal use?  Do you ride say 1000 miles and change once? Or keep riding forever until a noticeable problem occurs? 

3 hours ago, tata said:

So how often or how much range do you ride before a tire/innertube change on normal use? 

Different tires wear at different speeds, and I’d say a new one is usually needed somewhere between 1000-3000 miles. I replaced my MSX tire at 5000km, but perhaps should’ve done that a bit earlier since the original has a lousy grip on wet nature even when new.

Slime (or comparable) is recommended for the inner tube, and it makes inner tube replacement a non-issue. I didn’t replace the inner tube in my 16S for the whole 9000km, except when changing to a wider tire early on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

King song 16s tire after 1200 miles vs king song 18l after the same mileage.  I expected the 18l to do better as it contacts the ground less frequently Than the 16 for the same mileage but did not expect it to be this significant of a difference.  

C6EE63FA-665C-4A4C-961F-D69122A62770.jpeg

9561F491-38AE-4E13-AAAE-77D1D675E633.jpeg

8 hours ago, Joker10 said:

King song 16s tire after 1200 miles vs king song 18l after the same mileage.  I expected the 18l to do better as it contacts the ground less frequently Than the 16 for the same mileage but did not expect it to be this significant of a difference.  

C6EE63FA-665C-4A4C-961F-D69122A62770.jpeg

9561F491-38AE-4E13-AAAE-77D1D675E633.jpeg

I have never seen that tire on a 16S. Are you sure it’s the original tire? Where and when did you buy the 16S? Or is it the 14S?

Edit: Wait, is the upper one the 16S?

Edited by mrelwood

Looks like Slyme doesn't do well against snakebite punctures. I was able to inflate the wheel but it starts losing air while riding, imho its better to properly fix it to be safe and not waste your time with that green stuff

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I have never seen that tire on a 16S. Are you sure it’s the original tire? Where and when did you buy the 16S? Or is it the 14S?

Edit: Wait, is the upper one the 16S?

Yes Mrelwood, top pic is 16s had 50 km on it when I bought it. That was the original tire.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maxkan said:

Looks like Slyme doesn't do well against snakebite punctures.

Correct. Snakebites are high up on the sidewall. Sealants have a hard time reaching there. Did you try to shake the tire so Slime would reach the puncture?

Sealants are effective with punctures at the bottom of the tire, so I wouldn’t give up on them.

13 minutes ago, Joker10 said:

Yes Mrelwood, top pic is 16s had 50 km on it when I bought it. That was the original tire.  

Of course, don’t know what I was thinking. Different manufacturers, different rubbers, different lifetimes. Yet the 16S original, Kenda, is (or was) widely used for some reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maxkan said:

Looks like Slyme doesn't do well against snakebite punctures. I was able to inflate the wheel but it starts losing air while riding, imho its better to properly fix it to be safe and not waste your time with that green stuff

Slime is effective against small punctures (small nails, thorns, staples, etc) and has saved me from fixing many flats. It has provide itself with many other riders too.

Slime can be a bit of a hit-and-miss, but I see no downside but plenty of upside to its use.

Snakebites, along with being near the rim as @mrelwood states, are also typically much larger than the puncture that Slime was designed for. Snakebite punctures can often resemble small slits, which Slime cannot fix.

The best fix for snakebite punctures is prevention: use a properly inflated tire.

• Like 1