IPS i5 firmware versions

Asphalt-Cowboy

Hi@ll!

I've ordered an additional wheel, the IPS i5 (245Wh), to practice with it, too. Perhaps I'll commute with it from home to work [home (~2km) -> train -> work (~1km)].

The android app is already set up, I'm ready for the i5 when it'll arrive. :) Do you recommend to update to the latest firmware versions?

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Thor

P.S. I'm also planning to spray the black i5 with another color, perhaps chrome or silver. I'll post photos.

• Like 1

The theory would be that the latest firmware version should be the best... And as I am not aware that any recent updates (which may need a little more work) have been released then you should be ready to roll!

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your answer. I'll check the versions when the EUC will arrive.

The seller said: "... we are waiting for new stocks which send out from IPS factory. IPS will send it out next week and we will send it out to you around next Friday. That's to say you will get wheel with new battery. Please let me know if you are willing to wait ..."

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

In favour of something else? 

I've ordered a Ninebot One C+. I like the design and the (meanwhile) low price.

But the Mten3 looks also very interesting, not really sure about it yet. It has a (perhaps to) small tire for manage curbs and potholes.

Is there any other lightweight wheel (perhaps announced) that fits a commuter from home to work [home (~2km) -> train -> work (~1km)]?

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Is there any other lightweight wheel (perhaps announced) that fits a commuter from home to work [home (~2km) -> train -> work (~1km)]?

Are you able to give us an indication of your height and weight? That will help with suggestions...

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Are you able to give us an indication of your height and weight? That will help with suggestions...

My weight (including gear) is about 85kg (~190 lbm). My height ist about 194 cm (~ 76 inch), perhaps it's not an advantage in general riding EUCs.

I think a wheel like the Mten3 is to small, isn't it?

12 hours ago, Thor said:

My weight (including gear) is about 85kg (~190 lbm). My height ist about 194 cm (~ 76 inch), perhaps it's not an advantage in general riding EUCs.

I think a wheel like the Mten3 is to small, isn't it?

The Mten3 is a fun wheel for playing around on, but for last-mile commuting I think the small diameter of the wheel will make it quite uncomfortable - rougher surfaces and crappy curb transitions will make for a less enjoyable ride.

For your weight you could get away with a 14" wheel. But being 194 cm you might be more comfortable on a 16" - I am ~190 cm and I really don't feel relaxed on anything smaller than a 16". But I am also slightly heavier than you too.

Another thing to consider is how often you need to carry or trolley your wheel (through stations, buildings, et cetera). Smaller wheels have shorter trolley handles - I can "just" walk a KS-16S with a slight bend, but the 14" wheels require me to do a quite ridiculous stooping manoeuvre - Not an issue if you can ride end-to-end or are prepared to carry the wheel. So consider how your travel will play out.

Based on the limited information (but particularly considering your stature) I would suggest that it might be worth you having a look at an Inmostion V10 or King Song 16S (680 Wh should be fine)...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone manage to get the 5.0.8 version? The i5 is fun, great for my college use. Mine max at 12 mph and I really really need it a bit faster.

Thanks for your time~