EUC Generations

RichieV

I think I would put the IPS Zero in the 2nd gen with the Lhotz, since I don’t see the design alone being a big enough advancement.

If Inmotion succeeds in finishing the promised 18” wheel with suspension, that would surely jump to 5th gen. Other than that, we might see only small advancements for a few years which makes drawing the line tricky. Unless one of the manufacturers have gotten an out-of-the-box thinker in the design team, then we could see big surprises.

While the 16X and Nikola don’t have fresh features or numbers, the combination of a 3.0” tire on a 2kW 16” wheel is quite a thing in my books. I think they might transform the 16” class to a new era.

• Upvote 3

Love this, been making my own but this is more comprehensive.

It's also clear to see how much improvement to safety and build quality each gen made. Like almost everything from 3rd gen on I would recommend to anyone that wants a safe stable wheel. Even with how small the market is and how little competition there is...people like Kingsong and Inmotion still do exhaustive testing and engineering. Makes me really proud to be a part of this small world.

• Upvote 1

That's great information, thanks for putting it together. Maybe the Monster 100V would be a 4th gen wheel? It's gotten two rounds of control board enhancements, and it's the fastest wheel overall? I don't see the Z10 on the list.

5 hours ago, Daniel Queron said:

IMO the 2019 Tesla (tubeless, insanely fast, lift switch, speaker) belongs to 4th gen.

It's tubeless now? What kind of tire is needed for that?

Whether the updated Tesla belongs to the 3rd or 4th gen can be decided by what board it uses. Old Tesla board -> still 3rd gen. Much better MSX style board or even Nikola style board -> definitely 4th gen.

Though maybe the 3rd gen should be split in a good (3.2) and less good part (3.1). Tesla and the Kingsong S models are above the others.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
3,4,5 - numbers are hard

On 4/19/2019 at 2:39 PM, RichieV said:

I was thinking about the newest ewheels coming out such as the Nikola and the KS16x and it seems to me they aren't so different from last year's offerings as to be considered next generation and should be considered as part of the current generation.  So I wondered which generation of EUC are we in right now and I believe it's gen 4. 

I've created a table and lumped a bunch of models in the generation I believe they should be considered with each generation being separated by leaps in performance, styling, ergonomics, and other innovations.  How close to the mark do you think this is?  What innovations would a wheel need to be considered gen 5?

Manufacturer 1st Gen 2nd Gen 3rd Gen 4th Gen
Gotway
  • MsuperV1
  • MCM1/2
  • MsuperV2
  • MCM3
  • MsuperV3
  • ACM
  • Tesla
  • MCM4
  • Monster
  • MSuperX
  • Nikola
  • MCM5
King Song  
  • KS14 b/c
  • KS18 a
  • KS14 d/s
  • KS16/16 s
  • KS18 s
  • KS18L/XL
  • KS16X
Ninebot/Segway  
  • One C/E
  • A1/S1
  • One Z
Solowheel/Inmotion
  • Original Solowheel
  • Solowheel Extreme
  • V5/Glide2
  • V8/Glide3
  • V10
Miscellaneous
  • Airwheel X3/X8
  • IPS 121
  • IPS 191/Lhotz
  • Firewheel
  • Rockwheel R16
  • Rockwheel GT16
  • IPS i5
  • IPS ZERO
  • IPS S5
  • Rockwheel GT18

@RichieV This is awesome. It might be cool to add year ranges and go full blown timeline

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 7:39 PM, RichieV said:

What innovations would a wheel need to be considered gen 5?

Suspension.

Anti theft/movement alarm

locking ignition switch

hole or lug for security lock/chain

deployable  stand

headlight that can be moved to illuminate hills correctly

tilt back that isn't sometimes tilt off

Customizable warnings a la inmotion

There's tons of stuff that isn't there yet.

Well done, on the chart, very informative.

15 hours ago, erk1024 said:

I don't see the Z10 on the list.

One Z

Some more thoughts. What is the defining representative model for each generation? Here are my candidates:

Gen1 - Original Solowheel. Even though it was not sold in great numbers due to its price, it is the wheel that all the other first gen wheels were based on.

Gen2 - Ninebot One E+. This electrowheel was king of the hill for a while and deservedly so with its beautiful design, innovative lights, and decent performance (for that time). Many forum members probably have fond memories of their E+ being their first love.

Gen3 - I'm going to cheat and pick two.  Gotway MSuperV3 and King Song KS16s.  The KS16s probably more than any other of its generation was the spiritual successor of the Ninebot One E+ (edit: though now that I think about it, perhaps the Inmotion V8 has a better claim to that).  Its styling is definitely influenced by the E+ but the integrated trolley and the improved performance and handling outclassed the Ninebot in all meaningful ways.  The MSuperV3 is very different.  It explored the high performance space and gave something to those with the need for speed while still being manageable size-wise.

Gen4 - TBD!

Curious to see how your opinion agrees or differs.

Edited by RichieV

8 hours ago, Daniel Queron said:

@RichieV Verry interesting table, thank you for putting it together. IMO the 2019 Tesla (tubeless, insanely fast, lift switch, speaker) belongs to 4th gen.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Though maybe the 3rd gen should be split in a good (3.2) and less good part (3.1). Tesla and the Kingsong S models are above the others.

Yes, the Tesla is one of those wheels that's harder to cubbyhole.  It's kind of like Beethoven who was of the classical era but paved the way into the romantic period.  If someone were to say that the Tesla was gen 4, my only argument is to ask if that makes the Nikola gen 5 (which I don't think it is).

• Like 1