Pulled over in Amsterdam, NL

gena

I am a regular visitor to the city of Amsterdam, Netherlands. Great bike infrastructure, great people, great weed.

Last week, on a Saturday early morning, I was riding my MSX in a bike lane in front of Centraal Station, at a biking speed, the same as all the other push bikes, when this dude, a policeman on a motorbike, pulled me over and told me I cannot ride on the cycle lane because my wheel is a vehicle, and as such needs an insurance and registering. He also told me that I can ride on the pavement instead, but then started to worry about my speed limit. I told him my max speed is 15 km/h ( "what? 50km/h"? "no mr policeman, 15km/h". "Ah ok!" ). Then he took a picture of the wheel and asked what make it was. I made a mistake there and told him Gotway; should have made a name up. He did not take any of my details and let me go after I promised him I will take the public transport.

All this to say, be careful guys with the law. London has also a police crackdown this week on electric scooters ( to protest against the climate change protesters I suppose ). Hopefully the EU or any other relevant authority will soon give us more hope to ride peacefully.

Edited by gena
adding my speed

I was just reading about it on a dutch forum about electric vehicles. 

Police aren't strict, but it's not allowed anyway. 

Apparently there's a a lot of discussion about this since the few last years and recently started a petition about this. 

So to all dutchies and those that support the ideology or visit the netherlands I would say; sign this ! :D

https://petities.nl/petitions/legaliseer-personal-light-electric-vehicles/signatures/13798584?locale=nl

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/20/2019 at 1:17 AM, gena said:

Thanks a lot for that link. Hopefully it will get us in the right position. I am wondering if a petition at the EU level can have more impact?

I would say yes, but in reality each country run their own rules :( Also it's only the Netherlands that's quite behind compared to surrounding countries about allowing electric vehicles. 

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, kelec_947 said:

Hi @Rii I hope you're well. I would like to know if changes have been made to amsterdam to practice the electric wheel? Is this allowed by law? thank you so much

It's in a gray zone. So it depends on the cop. Get a bad one and they confiscate your wheel. I know of people who somehow managed to get an insurance - which makes it a tiny bit easier should you get stopped. But in any case, any time you're out with it and cops see you, there is a chance you'll lose it.

I would imagine the bigger the city, the bigger the chance. Amsterdam Central seems a place I'd definitely avoid 😬

There is lazy progress towards "legalization" but that's more towards "PEV" and not specific to EUCs. And it seems they're headed the German route which means the EUC is pretty much boned. 

• Like 1