Fascinated about Ninebot one E+, in 2019???

Rii

Hello everyone ! 

Today I joined after being sneaking around on the forum for quite some time after a years long fascination for EUC. 
Soon I am finally able to save up for my first EUC (In about another month) And I have a couple of questions (Im sorry for the big post!) 

I've always had my eye on the Ninebot One E+ due to its stability, size, price but especially design

However concerning I'm living in the Netherlands, EU. There isn't many models to choose from, making price rise or even taking them out of stock.
I am looking however to ship them from other places but it's worrying since I'm still saving up for it.

Beside that I started to wonder if the wheel is still viable in 2019 as it's from 2015 and reading about its outdating battery capabilities.. 
Right now it's around 1000 euros, but comparing that to other models you can get a 'better performing' and newer model for it in another brand (Inmotion V8 is cheaper, V10 is only around a few 100 euros more expensive) 
My issue is, I really like the One + design ! I see youtube videos with people freeriding through cities, freestyling on it, theres a lot of fancy media going around this model that I miss in other models. There's also a lot of accessories for it. So I have a hard time to drop the thought of getting a One + after these years of dreaming of them !

Also I think it's one of the very little choices of models that suits a (petit) girl. 
Another -pricier- choice had always been the inmotion v10, on fascination from my boyfriend. But the unicycle looks kind of big for me. Other than that I preffer a white sleek design and just find many other unicycles so bulky. 

Are there maybe other models or facts that I could be missing out on?
I'd see myself to be riding the unicycle multiple times a week, to work or to freeride on sunny days. 

Preffer a 16", comfortable riding on straight roads. 
Flexible unicycle that u can freestyle with, but comfortable enough to go for distances too. 
Beginner friendly, but not dull. 
Speed isnt a priority for me now, but maybe for the future.
Sleek, pretty design ! Prefferably white or/and customizable. 

Beside this, I wonder if there are some communities around Europe or dutch EUC riders?
And one around female riders? or any female pro riders / enthousiasts to follow on instagram or youtube?

Looking forward to your replies ! 

Edited by Rii

Welcome!

Before you commit to the NBE, I suggest you to watch this video.

49 minutes ago, Rii said:

Also I think it's one of the very little choices of models that suits a (petit) girl. 

I currently ride a V5F and a NBE and I will be receiving my  V10F today!

BTW, I understand your fascination for the Ninebot but the V10F will offer you much more flexibility.

Edited by pico
corr
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, pico said:

Welcome!

Before you commit to the NBE, I suggest you to watch this video.

YES ! I tried to re-find this youtube channel, haha thank you ! :) 

But yes, this seems a little big to me however.... 

chrome_8MwTmwZPcj.png

Edited by Rii
  • Like 1

May be  V5F or V8 then?

This is my girlfriend on a V5F.

If you are light you can make quite a few Kms. Easy to carry but a bit twitchy to learn on (14 inch). 

20181014_155048.mp4_20190302_164044_031.thumb.jpg.23cd9a70a42fbbf1a0cb787f069ac174.jpg

Edited by pico
corr
  • Like 1

Why not consider a used E+? You can learn to ride on it (tape well!), and if after that you prefere more miles/speed, just sell it again for almost the same price. 

On marktplaats, there are actually some offers around 400€ for visibly used (scratched, damaged) e+. Those sellers are dreaming, let them dream.  But there is also this one for exemple:

image.png.e1024941f4d2c0b086d31483c6d90a60.png

If an offer like this passes by, you have to be quick. I bought mine, as new, not one scratch, with only 48 kms on tweedehands.be (Belgian marktplaats) It was priced 250 € too, I got it for 225 €. Just reacted quickly and offered to pay cash and collect the same evening. The next day, I sold my learning wheel, an Inmotion v3 (bi-wheel) which I purchased new for 319 € on rollingbull.de a few weeks before, for 175 €. I should have bought it used, it wouldn't have cost me a penny.

Edited by Rik
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Rik said:

Why not consider a used E+? You can learn to ride on it (tape well!), and if after that you prefere more miles/speed, just sell it again for almost the same price. 

On marktplaats, there are actually some offers around 400€ for visibly used (scratched, damaged) e+. Those sellers are dreaming, let them dream.  But there is also this one for exemple:

image.png.e1024941f4d2c0b086d31483c6d90a60.png

If an offer like this passes by, you have to be quick. I bought mine, as new, not one scratch, with only 48 kms on tweedehands.be (Belgian marktplaats) It was priced 250 € too, I got it for 225 €. Just reacted quickly and offered to pay cash and collect the same evening. The next day, I sold my learning wheel, an Inmotion v3 (bi-wheel) which I purchased new for 319 € on rollingbull.de a few weeks before for 175 €. I should have bought it used, it wouldn't have cost me a penny.

Aye I am keeping an eye on Marktplaats :)  But I can really save up from next month, theres atm only 2-3 on it , will have to see if they last untill then.
Then again the battery issue is about old models. I don't know what it'll mean for these selling on Marktplaats.

Also I don't mind the price, I'm willing to spend around 1000 for it if it's a good buy. 

My question is mainly if theres any similar model to Ninebot one E+ by looks and performance. Or is ninebot one E+ still viable for the 1000 price considering it's a 2015 model. 

In case next month there are no more Ninebot One E+ on 2nd hand places, I will have to look into stores, they are selling for around 1000 euros in low stocks... 

• Upvote 1

I have an E+ and while nice, feels a bit old compared to newer offerings. At close to 1000€ you have both more modern and more powerful wheels of all sizes.

in France the E+ can be had second hand for less than 200€, at that price it is quite worth it.

As you are in the Netherlands you have fairly smooth bike paths and 14’ wheels make up in nimbleness what they lack in stability and ninebot S2 is by far the most gorgeous wheel ever made IMO :) (second hand from 300€)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rii said:

Aye I am keeping an eye on Marktplaats :)  But I can really save up from next month, theres atm only 2-3 on it , will have to see if they last untill then.
Then again the battery issue is about old models. I don't know what it'll mean for these selling on Marktplaats.

Also I don't mind the price, I'm willing to spend around 1000 for it if it's a good buy. 

My question is mainly if theres any similar model to Ninebot one E+ by looks and performance. Or is ninebot one E+ still viable for the 1000 price considering it's a 2015 model. 

For 1000€, I'd say no, not worth it. The battery's small by todays standards (340Wh, if I recall correctly), for 1000€ you could probably get something with over double the battery.

You could look for a second hand KS16B or C with 680Wh or 840Wh battery, those can be found for around 500€, but not quite often. Or if you're in luck, you'll find a second hand KS16S (only 840Wh model available) for, say, 800-1000€, but it seems S-owners rarely want to sell theirs ;). And for the US-people whose jaws have dropped at the prices, consider that a new KS16S still costs around 1500€ (close to $1700) here :P. The KS16's are somewhat similar looking as Ninebot E, but not exactly:

c8koqbofcwyqtjderyxc.jpg

The nominal motor power in B's and C's is 800W (vs. 500W in Ninebot E+), 1200W in KS16S. Top tilt-back speed you can set is 30km/h for B/C, 35km/h for S. Being light-weight (around 60kg/130lbs), the 840Wh battery can carry me around 50-60km per charge.

I bought a 2nd hand KS16B/680Wh for a little over 500€ two years ago.

When considering 2nd hand wheel, assuming it's otherwise functioning ok, the big question mark is how the batteries have been stored (if it hasn't been used). If they've been fully charged (100%) when it has gone to storage, the battery capacity drops over time (about 20% per year in room temperature! And faster if it's hotter). Stored charged to around 40%, the battery loses about 4% per year. The damage is permanent and cannot be reversed through cycling or such, although some people claim it can.

On a quick scan of the couple of first pages of the private sales section, these two were the only ones I spotted that weren't in US (the shipping price would be insane) and within budget, although neither sounds exactly what you want:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/13032-ninebot-z6-for-sale/   Ninebot Z6  UK, £650 = around 750€
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/12983-kingsong-ks14s-840wh/  KS14S  UK, £550 = around 640€  14" S-model

Edited by esaj
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The smaller brother of the E is the S1/S2, which I think it one of the most beautiful feels due to its sleekness. Everything on the S1 has been removed, including padding, and so it's not a very practical wheel.

If you're a small girl then I do not think any of the Ninebots work for you except perhaps the highly unreliable Z10, because even the small S1 is quite heavy; you need a trolley.

I'd suggest just the V10, failing that the V8 OR the V5. 

• Like 1

1000€ for an E+ brings tears to my eyes. Especially since you have a limited budget, I can think of no worse choice in terms of what you get for your money. Usually I tell people to follow their heart and get the wheel they know they want, but not this time:efeff54d4a:

Get a second hand E+ for like <300€, this is a great tip and it will be a great learner wheel. 1000€ for a new one is insane (and even overpriced).

Or skip the E+ and buy a good wheel right away:efee47c9c8:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

The smaller brother of the E is the S1/S2, which I think it one of the most beautiful feels due to its sleekness. Everything on the S1 has been removed, including padding, and so it's not a very practical wheel.

If you're a small girl then I do not think any of the Ninebots work for you except perhaps the highly unreliable Z10, because even the small S1 is quite heavy; you need a trolley.

I'd suggest just the V10, failing that the V8 OR the V5. 

Weight-wise, probably nothing beats the IPS I5 at 7.7kg, but I think it's pretty expensive for its specs (245Wh) otherwise, and it's 14"... Then there's of course the MTen's, but they seem more like "trick-wheels". Most 16" wheels with <1kWh are something like 15-18kg, the higher capacity models go close to (or even above) 20kg. V10(f) is among the heaviest (20.6kg), so it's a bit funny you'd first say that Ninebots won't work because they're heavy, then suggest one of the heaviest, if not the heaviest 16" around? ;)

EDIT: Looking at the database in electricunicycles.eu, both V10 and V10F are the heaviest 16" wheels available now at 20.6kg, surpassed only by the upcoming KS16X (said to be 24kg). ACM16 and ACMs+ are both marked as 20kg, which might be rounded, so they come close also. On the other end, of the more modern wheels (there are really light generics and such, but nobody wants them :P), V8 is lightest at 13.6kg. Ninebot One E+ is 14.2kg, KS16's are 15.1-16.5 depending on amount of batteries.

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2

I own an E+, it's my first EUC and I picked it up used off craigslist for under $300.

Now that I've been riding for a bit and looking for an upgrade I can't imagine paying around 1k for one.  The design is dated and there are so many things lacking.  The Ninebot One S2 is a direct upgrade and better in every single way, aesthetics included.  There are added modern features such as a lift sensor and actual battery display.  While the E's scorpion tail handle looks cool in pictures it's not very practical.  Even looking at the power button on both devices, the E+ looks like they had a surplus of red push buttons so that's what they used.  The renders online do look very good but the actual device is not so stunning.  If you really like the Ninebot I'd at least get a S2. For $500, which is roughly what they go for in the US, I think the S2 is a decent buy.

Otherwise my personal recommendation, keeping aesthetics in mind, would be KingSong.  Their build quality is top notch, the way their unicycles ride is typically considered more refined than Gotway/Inmotion, and I think they have some of the best looking devices.  The trolley handle is also super useful, slinging around even a 25lb wheel gets tiring really quick.  I'm currently considering upgrading to a 14d because I don't need anything bigger for my commute, but I'm waiting until I'm more comfortable on my e+ to see if I want something bigger/faster.

Edited by mythe00
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My second (and current) wheel is a Ninebot One E+ that I bought in 2016 (my first wheel was an Airwheel X3 that I bought in 2014).  I host riding events in my city (Washington DC), and have test ridden all sorts of other wheels from other group riders (Kingsong, Inmotion, etc.).

Cons of Ninebot:

• Shorter range than newer wheels
  • Ride and handling are not as smooth as newer wheels
  • Doesn't have headlight, rearlight, trolley handle built in
  • Top speed is lower than newer wheels

Pros of Ninebot:

• I agree, I still love the white sleek looks of the wheel (both in person and in pictures), and I think it looks just as good, if not better, than the newer models
  • No other wheel has a parking stand that you can add on as a standard accessory.  There are so many times I park my wheel on it's stand (on the subway, waiting for an elevator indoors, on the bus, etc.), I can't imagine not having one.
  • The 16" wheel is ideal for your size and is more nimble.  I weigh 140lbs and I find it perfect.  I actually don't wish to upgrade to an 18" wheel, it feels too big when I've test ridden them.  My wife, who is much smaller than me, actually prefers the nimbleness of the 14" Airwheel (but she also has a Ninebot One E+)
  • You can buy a second battery as a backup and easily swap it out by making a couple of easy modifications (which I've done), which effectively doubles the wheel's range.  See YouTube video here... https://youtu.be/5wQ1dD-a4es .  The wheel's range is rated at 20 miles, but for my weight, it starts slowing me down at around 15 miles, so double that with the battery swap ability to 30 miles.  It should last longer for you if you weigh less than me.  Very rarely have I ever needed to swap out to the second battery.
  • At this point, the wheel is solid and proven in both construction and firmware.  I've seriously never had any problems with it.
  • I still love my wheel.  I keep looking at the newer models, hoping to find one that I could replace the Ninebot with, but no other wheel has everything my Ninebot has.  The biggest sticking point is the lack of a standard parking stand accessory you can easily add on (as silly as it sounds, but after having one, I can't go without it!)
  • There are so many standard accessories you can add on as your budget allows (colored shells, skins, headlight, rearlight, trolley handle, parking stand etc.)
  • It's easy to learn.  For example, I found the pedals on Inmotion V10 high.  I think it would make it harder to learn.
  • I actually find the speed limiter @ 15 mph a positive.  I start feeling uncomfortable once I hit 12 mph and over.  So I'm glad it caps me off.  Falling at 15 mph is no fun (yes, it's happened to me), even with my pads and wrist guards in place.  I can't imagine the pain if I were to go 25 mph that some of the new wheels can do.
  • It's lighter than most newer wheels.  Seriously, the few times you do need to pick it up (e.g. stairs), you'll notice the weight difference.

See photo below for picture of my wheel with pretty much every accessory (I'm the one in the yellow shirt).  I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

highres_475686602.jpeg

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, esaj said:

higher capacity models go close to (or even above) 20kg. V10(f) is among the heaviest (20.6kg), so it's a bit funny you'd first say that Ninebots won't work because they're heavy, then suggest one of the heaviest, if not the heaviest 16" around? ;)

The Ninebots don't have trolleys whereas the V10 has a trolley.

You can carry the IPS i5 wheel (rolley-less) and I shall trolley the very heavy V10, and we can then have a 5k footrace.

Would you like to bet on yourself for money on this race?

Hello to our forum at first, nice to have you here!

About your request I'm tossed back and forth what to recommend because there is part of my own EUC history to be told... I started this strange experience about one year ago with absolutely no knowledge about this topic. Beeing blown away by a YT video randomly watched I took a litlle research on amazon and was pointed towards the ninebot E+ for about 420€. It seems quite pricey but well designed so I thought it would be an long term purchase to have fun with for many years.

But then I had to learn that this is not comparable to average consumer items  we all seem to know. It is an absolute niche product sold in ridicuosly minor quantities so the common laws of marketing seem not to exist...

It's not a bad idea to start with as a learner wheel but you should be aware to drop it rather fast with ongoing progress. Never pay more than about 400 credits and learn to ride but be prepared to a forthcoming invest. Once you outgrow this wheel you will have to go strong for further investment.

In my case I ordered both a Z10 and a Kingsong 18L soon afterwards and never regreted.

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy

9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The Ninebots don't have trolleys whereas the V10 has a trolley.

You can carry the IPS i5 wheel (rolley-less) and I shall trolley the very heavy V10, and we can then have a 5k footrace.

Would you like to bet on yourself for money on this race?

Fair enough, and no, I wouldn't bet money on winning that race, but it's totally unrealistic. Why would I carry the wheel for 5km when I could just ride it? More realistic scenario would be having to carry the wheel X floors in an apartment building without an elevator, in which case the trolley is useless. But yes, good trolley is still important, as there are situations where you will go short trips without riding, it will be much more comfortable "walking" the wheel besides you rather than lugging it from a handle.

Also, lighter riders may have trouble learning on a wheel that may weight up to or over 1/3rd of their body weight... 

If the wheel has to look like a Ninebot One E+, be 16", not very heavy, and have a trolley handle out-of-the-box, what does that leave besides the Ninebot One E+? Inmotion V8, KS16's, others? If it has to be white, then KS16's are probably the only choice, aren't all Inmotion's black?

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, esaj said:

Fair enough, and no, I wouldn't bet money on winning that race, but it's totally unrealistic. Why would I carry the wheel for 5km when I could just ride it? More realistic scenario would be having to carry the wheel X floors in an apartment building without an elevator. Also, lighter riders may have trouble learning on a wheel that may weight up to or over 1/3rd of their body weight... 

If the wheel has to look like a Ninebot One E+, be 16", not very heavy, and have a trolley handle out-of-the-box, what does that leave besides the Ninebot One E+? Inmotion V8, KS16's, others? If it has to be white, then KS16's are probably the only choice, aren't all Inmotion's black?

V8 and V10 are exclusively black, the cover is whitish however xD but V5 series comes in white.. i would also like to mention that the ninebot has extremely low pedals very prone to scraping and they dont have grip tape so they are quite slippery especially when wet, as well as a low shell that also scrapes a lot on curbs and the tire valve is very hard to access.. there are literally dozens of wheel options today whereas when the ninebot one was released there were basically a few other, hideous and terrible eucs to choose from.. there is absolutely zero reason to go with a ninebot one today unless like i said, it is a used wheel you found for extremely cheap to use as a beater learning wheel.. trust me and everyone else here, you will outgrow it very very quickly and be disappointed in the decision soon

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for your input :D 

I feel like a 14 inch won't suit me. I like sporting and going offroad sometimes. Hence why I passed on the Ninebot one S2, I've also read more negativity about it (wheras the NInebot One E+ was so stable and praised for its performance)

Is the Kingsong customizable? Ill look more into this.