Improving riding in public...

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

Last time I went in public on Sunday, no much traffic/pedestrians, quiet day, so I went for it...
I did it today as well, the same trip to bakery for fresh bread and back...
The difference is it's Wednesday, busy working day, many cars on the roads,people walking , etc.
I think I've managed the traffic riding.
Obviously I'm keep improving my riding skills, but I've noticed, that I felt more confident today than for first time few days ago in Sunday...

Mostly people smiling and giving me way on paths, but today I also have heard - fu%^#$* idiot - from van driver that past me by...

Well, I can't make everybody happy, can I  :)

Screenshot_20190417-112854_Endomondo.thumb.jpg.bf370601526f1b372d3cacd7869f16e5.jpg

Guest PogArt Artur
20 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

That’s a trek for bread, must be excellent.  Glad to see your confidence and skills improving!

I'm appreciated keen comment @Dzlchef :)

I took the wheel to work with me, I'm planning ride back home after my duty today - for first time :)

It's 4miles distance, so not big deal regarding the trip.

It's going be past 8pm, so I'll be using the torch light handheld too, also for first time...

Fingers crossed :)

I use a light vest called Tracer360 and it’s wonderful for night riding.  I’ve had people freak out and think I was an alien when rolling down very dark streets.  I keep it on the high visibility setting which strobes clear light with 3 colors and makes you look like a disco party on wheels. Cars WILL see you! 

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Mostly people smiling and giving me way on paths, but today I also have heard - fu%^#$* idiot - from van driver that past me by...

Well, I can't make everybody happy, can I  :)

My experience is similar ... van drivers are the worst ... they are usually tradesmen. :popcorn:

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Nic said:

My experience is similar ... van drivers are the worst ... they are usually tradesmen. :popcorn:

Lol, some people aren't anything else, but bastards :)

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Dzlchef said:

I use a light vest called Tracer360 and it’s wonderful for night riding.  I’ve had people freak out and think I was an alien when rolling down very dark streets.  I keep it on the high visibility setting which strobes clear light with 3 colors and makes you look like a disco party on wheels. Cars WILL see you! 

I'll have a look on that vest :)

Cheers :)

Guest PogArt Artur

Pushing the limits - tonight yet!

After this morning ride,to a local bakery, I had crazy idea - to take the wheel to work, and ride it back home?
Yeah - I just did it :)
I think I'm about nearly ready to start commuting, but I have one problem yet - the curbs.
I've been only one time practicing getting over the full raised curbs, even though I did it after fewer fails, it's obvious I'm not any good with it, especially in public traffic.
Unfortunately there's many side roads I have to cross, and in most cases the curbs aren't lowered...
Screenshot_20190417-212314_Endomondo.thumb.jpg.93500f14f4a4521205562242a8fd182c.jpg

1 hour ago, PogArt Artur said:

I think I'm about nearly ready to start commuting, but I have one problem yet - the curbs.

I bought my V10F seven months ago in preparation to use it for commuting this summer. I actually did commute with it once last month but it was far from confidence inspiring. (Yes I did it, no I wasn't unsafe at any time, but no I didn't feel comfortable at any time either.) I think I'm on track and in two months will be ready to go. So regardless of how slow you may feel your progress is, it's still faster than mine. :)

1 hour ago, PogArt Artur said:

there's many side roads I have to cross, and in most cases the curbs aren't lowered...

What kind of bull shite is that! How are people in wheel chairs supposed to get around? You need to report Bradford to the Minister for health or whoever is in charge of that.  I thought dropped curbs at intersections was the law. No?

Here's what it says:

"3.13 Dropped kerbs and raised crossings Level or flush access is essential for the majority of wheelchair users. Such access, either by dropped kerb or raised road crossing must be provided at all Zebra and controlled crossings and at other places side roads, access points to parking areas etc used by pedestrians. On longer side roads and residential roads dropped kerbs should, where possible, be provided every 100 metres to avoid the need for wheelchair users to make lengthy detours to cross the road having given due consideration to desire lines for pedestrians and intervisability."

here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/3695/inclusive-mobility.pdf

Which is titled

"Part III of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA) "

which:

"gives disabled people a right of access to goods, facilities, services and premises. .."

Guest PogArt Artur
6 minutes ago, Elder Meat said:

I bought my V10F seven months ago in preparation to use it for commuting this summer. I actually did commute with it once last month but it was far from confidence inspiring. (Yes I did it, no I wasn't unsafe at any time, but no I didn't feel comfortable at any time either.) I think I'm on track and in two months will be ready to go. So regardless of how slow you may feel your progress is, it's still faster than mine. :)

Thank you very much @Elder Meat :)

You've lifted me up :)

At some point I think it's too early to start commuting for me, but then I think - the commuting experience will build up my confidence, lol  :)

All those getting on/off frequently, passing the pedestrians, turning, going up/down ...

I doubt I would experience as many different situations at a local park riding...

Even though I'd be perfect at a local park, I bet I'd lose that confidence going in public -straight away... If you know I mean.

I can tell you one thing for sure - you and I , and all the others are very brave people already, if we go riding onto one wheel only in public! :):):)

Well done you too @Elder Meat !

We just need to "listen to ourselves" to know when and how push the limits further :)

I'm jealous of your wheel :)

1 minute ago, PogArt Artur said:

At some point I think it's too early to start commuting for me, but then I think - the commuting experience will build up my confidence, lol  :)

All those getting on/off frequently, passing the pedestrians, turning, going up/down ...

I doubt I would experience as many different situations at a local park riding...

Even though I'd be perfect at a local park, I bet I'd lose that confidence going in public -straight away... If you know I mean.

I can tell you one thing for sure - you and I , and all the others are very brave people already, if we go riding onto one wheel only in public! :):):)

Well done you too @Elder Meat !

We just need to "listen to ourselves" to know when and how push the limits further :)

I'm jealous of your wheel :)

I believe that commuting built my skills up more quickly but there were some hair raising incidents as I was learning.  BE CAREFUL!

I do absolutely LOVE carving to/from work each day.   There is nothing that can compare!

Guest PogArt Artur
8 minutes ago, Smoother said:

What kind of bull shite is that! How are people in wheel chairs supposed to get around? You need to report Bradford to the Minister for health or whoever is in charge of that.  I thought dropped curbs at intersections was the law. No?

Here's what it says:

"3.13 Dropped kerbs and raised crossings Level or flush access is essential for the majority of wheelchair users. Such access, either by dropped kerb or raised road crossing must be provided at all Zebra and controlled crossings and at other places side roads, access points to parking areas etc used by pedestrians. On longer side roads and residential roads dropped kerbs should, where possible, be provided every 100 metres to avoid the need for wheelchair users to make lengthy detours to cross the road having given due consideration to desire lines for pedestrians and intervisability."

here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/3695/inclusive-mobility.pdf

Which is titled

which:

"gives disabled people a right of access to goods, facilities, services and premises. .."

Wooow !!!

I'm so glad for this share @Smoother , as I wasn't aware it is so important, I mean the dropped curbs (kerbs?) I'm struggling to understand which word is correct now... :(

I used to use - curb - is it incorrect ? :(

Any way, yeah !

Side two way street,where the traffic turns from the main street - I'm ending up on the 4" kerb :)? , looking on the other side -> 4" kerb again...

Have to get off the wheel, walking across, get on and go...

Sometimes I'm turning along the side street, hoping the lowered kerb might be not so far, then I'm finding cars parked up at the side of path, so even if there would be low kerb - It would be blocked.

Sometimes (today's experience) on one side I'm finding lowered kerb a bit further up, after I've turned along, but on the other side 4" again... 

On the way to local bakery, on one side I did experience the same, no lowered kerbs what so ever, so I were just riding along sometimes, in hope of finding the low kerb, just to learn the route ...

It was so upsetting, as I can not getting over the fully raised kerbs yet, so on the way back I've chosen to go the opposite side of the road...

Surprisingly the other side has plenty of nicely lowered kerbs!!!

Now I know which way should I go for fresh bread :)

I think I need to learn getting over the kerbs asap, or get find more EUC friendly commuting route :)

It seems Bradford is not wheelchair users friendly at all, further more - it's breaching the law - thank you @Smoother :)

Guest PogArt Artur
16 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I believe that commuting built my skills up more quickly but there were some hair raising incidents as I was learning.  BE CAREFUL!

I do absolutely LOVE carving to/from work each day.   There is nothing that can compare!

Cheers - I'm trying riding wisely, with my eyes/ears fully alerted :)

I can not avoid every each unpleasant situation, but I'm trying as many as possible :) 

A curb (American English, Canadian English), or kerb (Australian English, British English, New Zealand English; see spelling differences), is the edge where a raised sidewalk (pavement in British English; pavement or footpath in Australian English) or road median/central reservation meets a street or other roadway. (wiki)

Guest PogArt Artur
4 minutes ago, Smoother said:

A curb (American English, Canadian English), or kerb (Australian English, British English, New Zealand English; see spelling differences), is the edge where a raised sidewalk (pavement in British English; pavement or footpath in Australian English) or road median/central reservation meets a street or other roadway. (wiki)

I'm appreciate the lesson :)

I'll try to remember...

I had typed into search engine -kraweznik- and it's translated -curb- so I started writing "curb" since then...

Thank you again!

I need to remember ...

kerb kerb kerb kerb kerb kerb kerb ... lol :)

Edited by PogArt Artur

Riding road bikes, many times people in cars have come close and yelled out of the window at me--trying to startle me, and succeeding most of the time. Not because I was doing anything wrong, they just thought it was a brilliant and original idea. Kids in snobby neighborhoods. Guys with too much testosterone and their girlfriends with too little class. Stupid. Entitled. Young. Rude.

Pay no attention. -_-

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

seems Bradford is not wheelchair users friendly at all, further more - it's breaching the law - thank you

If a police man stops you and says that's against the law ,, say,,, exactly officer there no lowered kurbs and ride off😀

9 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Side two way street,where the traffic turns from the main street - I'm ending up on the 4" kerb :)? , looking on the other side -> 4" kerb again...

Don't worry if no kerbs just get off and walk across the road it's safer anyway, you can drop off one side just lift on the other side if needed , it's never bothered me I surely have to stop anyway for the traffic that's why I'll go on the road if necessary😊

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, stephen said:

If a police man stops you and says that's against the law ,, say,,, exactly officer there no lowered kurbs and ride off😀

Don't worry if no kerbs just get off and walk across the road it's safer anyway, you can drop off one side just lift on the other side if needed , it's never bothered me I surely have to stop anyway for the traffic that's why I'll go on the road if necessary😊

Cheers , lol :)

Do you know @stephen what I've just realised this morning while commuting (FOR THE FIRST TIME) to the work ..?

Well...

I'm passing near by THE BRADFORD POLICE HEAD QUARTER !

I've past this morning two police cars already, well, on pavement obviously and their cars were next to me on the street...

I might change the route, lol, or my riding won't last long :)

1 hour ago, stephen said:

:roflmao:

29 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

I'm passing near by THE BRADFORD POLICE HEAD QUARTER !

I've past this morning two police cars already, well, on pavement obviously and their cars were next to me on the street...

I might change the route, lol, or my riding won't last long :)

That's probably a wise decision.  Just move left or right one block to keep off the main drag.  Side streets are good because there is less traffic (vehicle and foot) so its easier to ride on the road and because there are plenty of parked cars to hide your wheel behind if the 5.0 come along.

(meaning and origin of Drag) https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/drag-race.html

Guest PogArt Artur
7 hours ago, erk1024 said:

Riding road bikes, many times people in cars have come close and yelled out of the window at me--trying to startle me, and succeeding most of the time. Not because I was doing anything wrong, they just thought it was a brilliant and original idea. Kids in snobby neighborhoods. Guys with too much testosterone and their girlfriends with too little class. Stupid. Entitled. Young. Rude.

Pay no attention. -_-

I'm just getting all those experiences, since I went in public... ;)

Different people, plus random situations equals random experience...

I wish all the experience was good, but I can't do anything about it...

Guest PogArt Artur
48 minutes ago, Smoother said:

:roflmao:

That's probably a wise decision.  Just move left or right one block to keep off the main drag.  Side streets are good because there is less traffic (vehicle and foot) so its easier to ride on the road and because there are plenty of parked cars to hide your wheel behind if the 5.0 come along.

(meaning and origin of Drag) https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/drag-race.html

Thanks for advice and the link @Smoother :)

It's going be handy the link provided :)

Yeah, I need to avoid dragging their attention, lol, they may've think I'm provoking lol :)

Guest PogArt Artur

Pushing pushing ... you know what ! :)

Today for first time I did dare commute to work & back :)
Going this morning was pleasant, 6:40am, the traffic was ok...
Coming back much worst,though.
Rush hours 15:30pm, town centre, and I had to do small shopping...
Too many people, I were struggling to find a gap to ride past them, so it was tiring, because I was forced to carry the wheel instead of riding...
Any way experience is experience, isn't it :)
So, way back home took me longer, because of the above ;)
20190418_172343.thumb.jpg.a91d6f91e8249dae77ffac92fb453ce7.jpg20190418_172459.thumb.jpg.17bdcdf6412f4a022a7e162fab74d3f9.jpg

Edited by PogArt Artur

On 4/18/2019 at 5:43 AM, Smoother said:

Here's what it says:

here

Which is titled

which:

I guess these wouldn't qualify?

FB_IMG_1555833895135.jpg

FB_IMG_1555833889245.jpg

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
6 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

I guess these wouldn't qualify?

FB_IMG_1555833895135.jpg

FB_IMG_1555833889245.jpg

Wooow !!!

Thatxs crazy man :)

Zebra crossing - no crossing, lol :)