Bicycle helmet suitable or not? ... plus a few : ) other questions

Guest PogArt Artur
On 4/17/2019 at 3:51 PM, LanghamP said:

I think having flat-bottomed rubber sneakers with ankle coverage is the most important factor. Something like the Converse All Stars. If you can get the most agility possible during a crash, then that buys you time, and time buys you options. With time you can choose to slide, or roll, or even try to hop enough times to not even fall.

Perversely, protective equipment makes it more likely you'll hit the ground, through less agility and through risk compensation (you use the extra safety margin to go faster). However, if you're treating your 18 incher as a 26 mph scooter, then you have no choice; full-face helmet, gloves, and all that jazz.

Wow !!!

Guest PogArt Artur
On 5/3/2019 at 4:46 AM, Braxton Richard Wells said:

Hey so I was looking for helmets and the giro switchblade seemed to be pretty good. You can even remove the chin-bar so you can still drink coffee! 

I like the universality of those helmets, the only concern is their usage in the rain...

Big air vents around, in cold rainy morning commute I'm gonna be done..?

Is my concern reasonable, or it is ok to wear it any weather guys?

Thanks... 

On 5/3/2019 at 9:28 AM, rinzler said:

Funnily enough i have recently come across this too and it's on a list.  Haven't looked at many for now but the removable chin strap did stand out. 

I did find another that does the same thing but i cant recall the name right now. That one needed to be unscrewed though. (I thinknit was a Fox team racing one...will update this post later).

This is it

None of these solve my snowboard use requirement though, annoyingly.  And the ruroc r1 or whatever it's call (think Kylo Ren/storm trooper) is just too intimidating for the road/pavement. 

Guest PogArt Artur
On 5/3/2019 at 3:17 PM, rinzler said:

This is the one thing i am still struggling with. I want something lightweight but with a good level of abrasion resistance. Something like an enduro glove would be great but incant find anything.  Motorcycle gloves are too ott for pavement riding and low speed. Enduro and other moto/cycling gloves are too thin. Understandably no real palm padding.

As for esk8 gloves... i dont need a puck on my palm!

Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Motorcycle gloves are too ott for pavement riding and low speed.

I'm using motorcycle gloves @rinzler since I started...

Why you so sure,they won't suit the purpose :) ?

I'm commuting only on pavements, at obviously very low speeds (NB1 E+) on daily basis.

They're well made, protect my palm, they're well vented too, slim fit, so I'm wearing the wrist guards on top of them too...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152529488921

SmartSelect_20190506-141105_eBay.thumb.jpg.5391974839b0d2e8a90930193898791d.jpg

Edited by PogArt Artur

On 5/3/2019 at 5:59 AM, kelec_947 said:

What model do you have for gloves please ?

I use these gloves, they are thin at the wrist area so my Flexmeter wrist guards fit nicely right over. They are touch screen friendly but i still cut around .5" off of the 1 finger to make it more cell phone accessible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HD7QTS/ref=twister_B07NFDC5TK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Snow-Flexmeter-Wrist-Guard/dp/B00K8ORA06/ref=sr_1_3?crid=GTO4JD2YQ5AV&keywords=demon+wrist+guards&qid=1557158482&s=gateway&sprefix=DEMON+WRIST%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-3

Edited by Dave U

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Motorcycle gloves are too ott for pavement riding and low speed.

I'm using motorcycle gloves @rinzler since I started...

Why you so sure,they won't suit the purpose :) ?

I'm commuting only on pavements, at obviously very low speeds (NB1 E+) on daily basis.

They're well made, protect my palm, they're well vented too, slim fit, so I'm wearing the wrist guards on top of them too...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152529488921

20 minutes ago, Dave U said:

I use these gloves, they are thin at the wrist area so my Flexmeter wrist guards fit nicely right over. They are touch screen friendly but i still cut around .5" off of the 1 finger to make it more cell phone accessible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HD7QTS/ref=twister_B07NFDC5TK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Snow-Flexmeter-Wrist-Guard/dp/B00K8ORA06/ref=sr_1_3?crid=GTO4JD2YQ5AV&keywords=demon+wrist+guards&qid=1557158482&s=gateway&sprefix=DEMON+WRIST%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-3

Both very nice sets of gloves, chaps.

@PogArt Artur in this example I was more referring to the bigger gauntlet style gloves. This wrist style ones is more what I'm going for. I've been learning a lot about abrasion strength materials. I'm too delicate for road rash! :roflmao:

Goat skin, kangeroo skin, full grain leather, kevlar etc etc.

@Dave U I'm actually going to go the other way with the flexmeter - wearing them under the glove. I know it has the skid pan which I guess I am making redundant by taking my route but I just want to look low-key. 

Gloves it seems is a world of it's own - from £10 to £100+ the choices are baffling. That said, I think I'm sticking to around £40 - those Alpinestars look a good shout. Do you think if you tried you could fit the flexmeters under them?

36 minutes ago, rinzler said:

@Dave U I'm actually going to go the other way with the flexmeter - wearing them under the glove. I know it has the skid pan which I guess I am making redundant by taking my route but I just want to look low-key.

You wont look so "low-key" if you stick a landing with your grippy gloves (as opposed to sliding) and have to walk around in a sling/cast for 6 weeks. While your wrist/elbow/shoulder ( pick one) heals.

Nobody is looking at your wrists when you wheel by, anyway.  This statement will never happen: "OMG! did you see what that unicycle rider had on his wrists?"

Also, judging by the reaction of people in @stephen s recent video in London, it doesn't look like anyone in London will even notice your wheel either.;)

Edited by Smoother

5 minutes ago, Smoother said:

You wont look so "low-key" if you stick a landing with your grippy gloves (as opposed to sliding) and have to walk around in a sling/cast for 6 weeks. While your wrist/elbow/shoulder ( pick one) heals.

Nobody is looking at your wrists when you wheel by, anyway.  This statement will never happen: "OMG! did you see what that unicycle rider had on his wrists?"

Also, judging by the reaction of people in @stephen s recent video in London, it doesn't look like anyone in London will even notice your wheel either.;)

True. But I think it's either you or someone else who also acknowledge one doesn't want to look dorky! That said when I wrote my message above I realised I was giving myself more work looking for leather (goatskin) gloves with a good chunky amount of palm protection.

7 minutes ago, rinzler said:

True. But I think it's either you or someone else who also acknowledge one doesn't want to look dorky! That said when I wrote my message above I realised I was giving myself more work looking for leather (goatskin) gloves with a good chunky amount of palm protection.

when you get your Flexmeters you will see that not only do they cover a lot of the palm, but also, because of the additional slider pucks, your whole had is raised off any surface by a good distance. This distance fyi will also necessitate rather chunky gloves, if you  wear them on the outside, unless you cut the palms away, which might then compromise the fit.

Yes I did use the word "dorky" in reference to leashes, but what would gloves look like in summertime?

I'm not trying to discourage safety, just that your best protection for wrists is sliding not sticking the landing.

Edited by Smoother

Guest PogArt Artur
53 minutes ago, rinzler said:

Both very nice sets of gloves, chaps.

@PogArt Artur in this example I was more referring to the bigger gauntlet style gloves. This wrist style ones is more what I'm going for. I've been learning a lot about abrasion strength materials. I'm too delicate for road rash! :roflmao:

Goat skin, kangeroo skin, full grain leather, kevlar etc etc.

Gloves it seems is a world of it's own - from £10 to £100+ the choices are baffling. That said, I think I'm sticking to around £40 - those Alpinestars look a good shout. Do you think if you tried you could fit the flexmeters under them?

You know what suits you best :)

I just tried to show you, that motorcycle gloves can work as well for pavements, lol , in my case obviously :)

23 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

You know what suits you best :)

I just tried to show you, that motorcycle gloves can work as well for pavements, lol , in my case obviously :)

Oh dont worry i really like those gloves.  They're very stealth! And look cool.