Bummed about the Z10 and ewheels

Barrett Roberts

I don’t think you should worry. Ewheels will take care of warranty issues wether they sell the wheel anymore or not. And if you haven’t had issues during this time, it is extremely unlikely that any warranty related issues would still pop up.

Once the warranty ends, you will likely just get the spare parts from Ebay or Aliexpress. Although, I would still ask Ewheels if they can sell the part, as they will possibly still have their connections to the manufacturing channels.

I have bought 4 wheels from Aliexpress, with practically no after sale support. One $15 charger got toasted, but no other warranty related issues. I see zero reason for you to feel bad about choosing the Z10. If you have liked the wheel thus far, you absolutely made the right choice!

Thanks mrelwood!

that makes me feel quite a bit better.  I love the Z10 but Segway exiting the market makes it very unlikely we will see firmware improvements etc.   it’s a real shame because I think they were on to something.    I love how the z10 rises compared to my other wheels.   

Though the KS18xl is very tempting 😂

1 hour ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Thanks mrelwood!

that makes me feel quite a bit better.  I love the Z10 but Segway exiting the market makes it very unlikely we will see firmware improvements etc.   it’s a real shame because I think they were on to something.    I love how the z10 rises compared to my other wheels.   

I've read about the rumors of Ninebot exiting the EUC-market and concentrating on something else (electric scooters?) maybe once or twice in the forums, but has the company officially announced this?

Also, how is Segway related to this, do they sell Ninebots as Segways in the States (like Solowheel does with Inmotion)?

Edit: D'oh, totally forgot that Ninebot bought Segway in 2015. :P  Still it would seem weird for them to walk away from the market after all the time and money invested in developing the Z-series.

1 hour ago, Brian Morris said:

If Jason dumped the z10 thats a good indication to stay far far away.  I joined the z10 group on facebook to see about buying one but reading the issues in that group for a couple hours... no thanks!  

I haven’t had any issues except the battery will drain out if you leave it sitting.  Otherwise I love it 

2 hours ago, esaj said:

D'oh, totally forgot that Ninebot bought Segway in 2015. :P  Still it would seem weird for them to walk away from the market after all the time and money invested in developing the Z-series.

When Ninebot bought Segway, another consideration was that they had a captive monopoly, selling Segways to a completely different segment—security patrols at airports & shopping centers. This acquisition came with group of lawyers, who very probably, took a different view to risk tolerance than the fledgling Ninebot. I have a contact who used to work at Ninebot, I made some tentative inquiries about continuing the Z10 sales again, his advice was 'don't, not worth it', based on his aggregate view from other regions.  

5 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Thanks mrelwood!

I love my Z10. One of my favorite wheels that I ride a lot. The KS18XL is a very nice wheel, but in many ways it's a generic wheel. There is no Wow factor with the XL. Sorry about that, for all you super-KS fans. The KS16X looks like a Wow wheel, and their first for me.

Yes, it sucks that EWheels no longer sells it. But the failures, to the best of my knowledge, are out-of-the-box failures. If you get a working wheel (>90% of delivered wheels), then you're gold.

The fact that Jason doesn't sell the wheel any more has zero bearing on the smile that comes to my face every day that I ride the wheel. It shouldn't affect you too. Enjoy the wheel and stop worrying about what-if's :D

3 hours ago, Brian Morris said:

If Jason dumped the z10 thats a good indication to stay far far away.  I joined the z10 group on facebook to see about buying one but reading the issues in that group for a couple hours... no thanks!  

I don't think that's the conclusion you should take away. Yes, the Z10 has a few quirks (show me a wheel that doesn't), but by far and away, it's been one the most joyous wheels that I've owned. See where it resides in my signature photo? It's there for a reason :wub:

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

love my Z10. One of my favorite wheels that I ride a lot. The KS18XL is a very nice wheel, but in many ways it's a generic wheel. There is no Wow factor with the XL. Sorry about that, for all you super-KS fans. The KS16X looks like a Wow wheel, and their first for me

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

it's been one the most joyous wheels that I've owned

I can second that 😊 i can just do nothing on that wheel just doodling about for hours,it's got the most amazing feeling, and when your not doodling and set off at speed it's like riding a motorbike just leaning into the corners ,,,Ooh! And off road is amazing to 😊 oooh! And easy to learn on,,, girlfreind loves it🤔 might of lost my fave wheel when we go out now 🙁, definitely a fun fun wheel 😊😊😊

4 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

One of my favorite things about the wheel seems to be one that many people hate which is turning at speed.  You have to really lean into the turn and the wheel feels like it’s laughing at your feeble attempts to make it tilt.  😁

Yeah, I really enjoy the added effort required to turn the Z10 at speed. It's just a different experience.

Riders on here complained 3 years ago how 18 x 2.5 wide tires were too big and bulky to maneuver. Now almost everyone and their mother on here has one 18" wheel.

Now they say the same 💩 about the Z.

Funny how that works.

The tall KS-18S and the Z10 were the 2 wheels bar-none (out of the many I've owned) that forced me to learn/develop better technique,... technique that now allows me to better manipulate every other size EUC, not just these 2.

This learning probably would have never happened for me if I didn't approach these 2 wheels with an open mind, swallowing any kind of pride/ego saying that it was the wheels' fault, not mine, .... and thus avoiding the temptation to think that my EUC technique was 'perfect', with nothing more to ever learn.

There is always more to learn IMHO.

The Z10 is perfect for me. At 830 miles it started making this weird computer noise but performs great still. I absolutely love it and I've got 1,200 miles on it now. I've thought about what my next wheel would be if I had to get one, and honestly with whats on the market now I'd prefer another Z10, the ks16x wheel is intriguing but I'm not sure it would be as forgiving with a smaller width tire. Hopefully ninebot steps up their game and we can see them back on ewheels, doubt it though.

1 hour ago, Steef Klonoa said:

The Z10 is perfect for me. At 830 miles it started making this weird computer noise but performs great still. I absolutely love it and I've got 1,200 miles on it now. I've thought about what my next wheel would be if I had to get one, and honestly with whats on the market now I'd prefer another Z10, the ks16x wheel is intriguing but I'm not sure it would be as forgiving with a smaller width tire. Hopefully ninebot steps up their game and we can see them back on ewheels, doubt it though.

What do you mean by "computer noise"? I don't want you to start worrying, but a change in the wheel behavior (assuming you haven't updated the firmware or such) can be a sign of a trouble, like hardware failure starting to develop.

Archived