Lighting on the EUC...

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

For long time I've been thinking of lightening up the wheel, to increase safety riding in the dark...
The lights aren't meant to be pointed on the direction of the riding, but only to position the wheel in the dark, so the car drivers, bicyclists and others could be aware of me going ...
Some time ago I've bought a small bicycle torch light, but because of its shape, I had no use of it - till today.
I've just had an idea to fix it to the wheel, so I did and I'm satisfied with results.
It's pointing down, making nice bright circle spot around the wheel :)
I'm about to order the second one, to fix it on the handle next to this one, but pointing on opposite, making my wheel glowing on surface at both sides...
In the dark they might think the UFO is floating near by , lol :)
- The circle spot is partially blocked by my leg (when standing on pedal), so the shape isn't circle then, but kind of half Moon shape ...

IMG_15042019_221312_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.f1811469d222a9b220cd66dcce772da7.jpg

IMG_15042019_221245_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.f4a3d051148d600ca50f6669dd4301a6.jpg

Looks like a good solution, very bright. For me, I have a different problem to solve. The V8 can put on its own light show.

Rather than being seen, it is how to see after dark. Yes the V8 has a small headlight but the beam throw is quite feeble, so once again its function is more about being seen rather than seeing. Now that daylight savings has kicked in, the sun has already set at the end of the work day. I'm leaning toward some sort of headlamp arrangement that's compatible with a helmet but there are an awful array of trashy looking camping-gear tier head lamps in online stores claiming to push out XXXXXXXXXX!!!! Lumens of light that I suspect:

1. burn through their battery reserves in no time and
  2. blind oncoming traffic with poor lighting directional control.

The price range on these headlamps also varies alarmingly from ~ $8.00 - $900.00! Anyone have any recommendations? I've seen "The Panda" dude riding his Monster wheel on those youtube videos, but that lighting arrangement is a little excessive for me. :P

Guest PogArt Artur
33 minutes ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

Looks like a good solution, very bright. For me, I have a different problem to solve. The V8 can put on its own light show.

Rather than being seen, it is how to see after dark. Yes the V8 has a small headlight but the beam throw is quite feeble, so once again its function is more about being seen rather than seeing. Now that daylight savings has kicked in, the sun has already set at the end of the work day. I'm leaning toward some sort of headlamp arrangement that's compatible with a helmet but there are an awful array of trashy looking camping-gear tier head lamps in online stores claiming to push out XXXXXXXXXX!!!! Lumens of light that I suspect:

1. burn through their battery reserves in no time and
  2. blind oncoming traffic with poor lighting directional control.

The price range on these headlamps also varies alarmingly from ~ $8.00 - $900.00! Anyone have any recommendations? I've seen "The Panda" dude riding his Monster wheel on those youtube videos, but that lighting arrangement is a little excessive for me. :P

I know @Sidewalk Enforcer , the fixed light on your wheel is probably bright, but as you say, it's not enough for lightening the surface at a front of your direction of riding.

There's two other issues noticeable to me.

One that you've mentioned already, that if you going down the hill the permanently fixed light on your wheel might blind the oncoming traffic, that's going up that hill, because your light will be the oncoming cars level.

Second, if you imagine turning to side paths or such, you won't see in the dark, you won't be aware of any holes on you way, because your wheel will be pointing the light only in straight line...

And may be a THIRD one issue, regarding on the head (helmet) mounted light source - you going to move your head continuously, all the time of riding, at any direction possible...

For the time you going to look left, you will lose the pointed light at a front of your riding direction...

By the time you move your head back, it might be too late...

You probably would blind somebody at some point too, as you will be moving you head all the time...

Having the light in your hand, will let you look around while riding (turning the head freely), and still pointing the light at front of your riding direction...

If that's making sense...

So when you make a turn, it might be too late to be notified of any obstacles on the path you follow, if the light is fixed permanently to the wheel.

This is why I've chosen to lighten up my wheel with those lights, to let me be visible while riding by the others...

But I have handheld torch light, that I'll be using as pedestrians do...

I can freely point the light at any direction, lighten up surroundings, the dark corners I'm going to turn, etc.

Also I won't blind oncoming traffic ever.

In case of facing dangerous situation, I mean some drunk on my way trying to threaten me or such, you can use the strong torch light source to blind them and buy some time to run away, or even you can use the crown of the torch to self defend...

That idea was mentioned on this forum by somebody, and this is why I think it's great solution!

I'm going to fix the bicycle mirror to the torch's handle, and will use it as a one piece tool, light with the mirror...

You know, instead of fixing the mirror on my wrist like many EUC riders do, I'll fix it to the torch...

So the torch is going be always handy with my, so the mirror.

I can face dangerous situation meeting thugs in the bright day too, we never know.

That's the torch light I've bought ;

http://BINWO Super Bright 2000 Lumen Rechargeable Handheld Mini CREE LED Torch Light, Adjustable Focus, 5 Modes, Led Flashlight for Hiking Biking Camping and other Outdoor Sports, with Batteries & Charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0794RK24N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hPxTCbGWBZ77E 

9 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

For long time I've been thinking of lightening up the wheel, to increase safety riding in the dark...
The lights aren't meant to be pointed on the direction of the riding, but only to position the wheel in the dark, so the car drivers, bicyclists and others could be aware of me going ...
Some time ago I've bought a small bicycle torch light, but because of its shape, I had no use of it - till today.
I've just had an idea to fix it to the wheel, so I did and I'm satisfied with results.
It's pointing down, making nice bright circle spot around the wheel :)
I'm about to order the second one, to fix it on the handle next to this one, but pointing on opposite, making my wheel glowing on surface at both sides...
In the dark they might think the UFO is floating near by , lol :)
- The circle spot is partially blocked by my leg (when standing on pedal), so the shape isn't circle then, but kind of half Moon shape ...

IMG_15042019_221312_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.f1811469d222a9b220cd66dcce772da7.jpg

IMG_15042019_221245_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.f4a3d051148d600ca50f6669dd4301a6.jpg

You could always buy a Z10😊😊

Here's the light a bought for the rear it's very good for night riding, also if you look at my helmet that has lights on to 😊

Also good for day riding 😊

One issue with helmet lights is that they are located too high for you to see potholes properly. When everything is lit up brightly, even a deep hole can easily go unnoticed. A light attached to the wheel handle won’t light up the pothole, so you will clearly see when it’s time to slow down or steer away.

While blinding oncoming traffic is something definitely to avoid, it’s not worth risking your safety either. Motorcycle front lights for example may point at the oncoming drivers’ eyes as well, it’s just a part of being in traffic that the drivers must manage.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, stephen said:

You could always buy a Z10😊😊

Here's the light a bought for the rear it's very good for night riding, also if you look at my helmet that has lights on to 😊

Also good for day riding 😊

Thanks for sharing @stephen, it's great lighting on Z10, wow :)

Apart of the lighting, I'm amazed seeing you riding on the streets ...

What's your experience regarding the drivers that passing you by...

Are they treating you keen, as the common bicyclist?

So you've got Gotway MSX too!

I don't know much about this wheel, but I remember it's very good :)

14 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Apart of the lighting, I'm amazed seeing you riding on the streets ...

What's your experience regarding the drivers that passing you by...

I've ridden on the roads loads,,i had an electric bike,

Drivers are the same as if you were on a bike, some think it's cool and beep their horn which frightens me to death :angry: others don't care less what your riding if its busy i just bump on the path, if your road awareness is ok so should you be , but the msx has speed ,i wouldn't ride on the road at 10mph I'd use the path, i usually ride about 25+mph on the roads

14 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

So you've got Gotway MSX too

Yes I've got a msx i got that before the Z10 it's a beast 😊

Guest PogArt Artur
12 minutes ago, stephen said:

I've ridden on the roads loads,,i had an electric bike,

Drivers are the same as if you were on a bike, some think it's cool and beep their horn which frightens me to death :angry: others don't care less what your riding if its busy i just bump on the path, if your road awareness is ok so should you be , but the msx has speed ,i wouldn't ride on the road at 10mph I'd use the path, i usually ride about 25+mph on the roads

Yes I've got a msx i got that before the Z10 it's a beast 😊

I see :)

Yeah, my speed is pedestrian's walking, lol.

Not good to dare jumping on the street lol :)

Thanks @stephen .

On 4/16/2019 at 7:02 PM, PogArt Artur said:

And may be a THIRD one issue, regarding on the head (helmet) mounted light source - you going to move your head continuously, all the time of riding, at any direction possible...

For the time you going to look left, you will lose the pointed light at a front of your riding direction...

By the time you move your head back, it might be too late...

You probably would blind somebody at some point too, as you will be moving you head all the time...

Having the light in your hand, will let you look around while riding (turning the head freely), and still pointing the light at front of your riding direction...

22 hours ago, mrelwood said:

One issue with helmet lights is that they are located too high for you to see potholes properly. When everything is lit up brightly, even a deep hole can easily go unnoticed.

Thank you both for your insight, you've given this more thought than I did. 

I have a torch - so I'll use that unless it proves to be too fiddly to hold something in my hand all the time. It doesn't cost anything to try. 

Guest PogArt Artur
29 minutes ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

Thank you both for your insight, you've given this more thought than I did. 

I have a torch - so I'll use that unless it proves to be too fiddly to hold something in my hand all the time. It doesn't cost anything to try. 

I've forgot to add something...

In "emergency situation" holding the torch light will let you blind intruder freely, to buy yourself some escape time (just example)...

If the light would be fixed on your helmet, then it won't be even possible to blind him, and at the same time running away, as you wouldn't be able to look anywhere else, but straight on him, if that's making a sense :)

Good luck with making your mind up @Sidewalk Enforcer 

3 hours ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

you've given this more thought than I did. 

Not just thought actually, I tried a helmet lamp early on. Ditched it after the first ride! My lamps have all been on or in the wheel ever since.

Although a handheld light works quite well, I want to have my clumsy wrist supported hands free. Just a personal preference.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Not just thought actually, I tried a helmet lamp early on. Ditched it after the first ride! My lamps have all been on or in the wheel ever since.

Although a handheld light works quite well, I want to have my clumsy wrist supported hands free. Just a personal preference.

I'm the same, I'd prefer not to hold the torch light while riding, but not being happy with the other mounts, I have to accept that inconvenience ...

Obviously the lights mounted on the wheel is great addition :)

Today I've knocked off the one I've mounted ...

I were catching the wheel in the air when I've missed the pedal, and the rubber holding the light had gave up.

I like to keep those lights as I've made it, so now I'm thinking to fix them on a side of that handle by little screws, to keep them secure in place.

I've took the wheel to work today,to ride back home for first time after work.

It's also going to be the first time riding with the torch light handheld...

7 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

I've took the wheel to work today,to ride back home for first time after work.

Well done you keep us updated, go the same way everytime and you'll get to know all bumps etc😊

Guest PogArt Artur
4 hours ago, stephen said:

Well done you keep us updated, go the same way everyone and you'll get to know all bumps etc😊

Thanks @stephen , it took me a bit longer, I mean the way back...

I haven't go this way yet, I wasn't sure which way is better...

The curbs were making me get off and on frequently, so the cars were stopping me, just when I was about to cross the street  :)

Also my riding isn't stable yet - I've found that I'm ok with riding after some time?

The first go is very poor, then it's improving as I go?

Lol, I need proper warming ups, every time I'm about to ride , lol :)

Archived