N00b: Z10 VS 18XL and where to buy?

Windjammer

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

On level ground and steady speed, I agree, the Z10 rides smooth, stable, and is easier to go very slow. However, if the road is bad or has a sideways slope, the Z10 requires quite a bit more concentration and experience than the other wheels.

While filming may be your motivator, the EUC is indeed not an ideal vehicle for that. Therefore I wouldn’t let it weigh on the scale very much. While Z10 is the best wheel for some filming situations, for your first and only wheel the 18(X)L has quite a few more merits.

MSX tilt-back (top speed) is selectable up to 48km/h (31mph), which being a very polite tilt-back lets you keep a constant speed of around 51km/h (33mph). Overridden some people have ridden the 84V to 40mph and still returned to tell the crazy tale. I ride fast, and my top speed is usually 29mph.

48km/h is slightly under 29mph, 50km/h is 31mph,  51km/h is 51.69mph.  :P   I’m sure you can push the tiltback a little bit beyond what you set on GW.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

48km/h is slightly under 29mph, 50km/h is 31mph,  51km/h is 51.69mph.  :P   I’m sure you can push the tiltback a little bit beyond what you set on GW.

Darn, should’ve used a calculator instead of an aging head! Although, I think you should’ve too on the last one... ;)

That makes my usual top speed around 27mph.

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2019 at 1:51 PM, eddiemoy said:

Depending on what you mean by low speed, it is very difficult to ride an EUC slower than walking.   Just like a bike, will require many small corrections to keep from falling.  Not good for filming.  If you are looking for smooth gimble like filming, you would go with a Segway miniPro pro.  Takes seconds to learn and you can go as slow as you need to go and even stand still.  Cost 1/4 what you are considering from EUC side. 

Probably somewhere in between fast walking and slow running, so not super slow/fast. Something like this

Cool thanks for the tip!

On 4/18/2019 at 2:30 PM, Lutalo said:

Not sure where the impression that most people prefer the 100v. The performance difference mostly top end where all three of these wheels are already in the nether regions of speed for an euc. 

I have yet to find a good reason; better yet, desire to go above the limited speed of my XL.

All of these wheels are very fast. I would say the 84v 18XL and MSX are a better blend of speed and performance. The XL firmware limits you at 31-32 mph. I believe the MSX is limited to a slightly lower firmware speed than the XL, but allows you to override it. When the limiter is removed it will go to 35-36 mph; the XL will not allow you to remove the top speed limiter like the MSX. For that, I am personally grateful. I often cruise easily at 25-30mph on my XL. Believe me, 25-30 feels blazingly fast for a functionally consistent cruising speed in real world conditions, and too fast to outright stupid for most of the conditions I encounter riding around DC. 

Most people that I know and talk with want speed and power to be sure; but the balance usually leans in favor of range. Most of the MSX owners that I encounter have the 84v version; just saying. 

It's quite possible that where you live market tastes lean slightly different. I know that in Washington, DC my first hand observation is that the 18XL is "the" favorite advanced 18" wheel.

Read it somewhere (hard to sort information out in the start on what's what :)) but great have bigger battery!

On 4/18/2019 at 3:40 PM, Marty Backe said:

Only you can answer the question, "Is the Ninebot Z10 the best looking wheel?". Clearly a subjective question.

I didn't know that the 18XL is better in every way than the Z10 :blink1:

Do you aspire to ride great distances (some people don't, they only plan to use the wheel in urban settings)? Than the XL is the better choice. Do you aspire to ride very fast, a lot? Than the XL is the better choice. Do you aspire to climb and descend very steep hills? Then the XL is the better choice.

Do you aspire to ride one of the most enjoyable wheels made (IMHO)? Then the Z10 is the better choice?

The use-case is the most important question to answer. Between the two wheels that you list, there is no clear best wheel. They are both great.

OK, I probably should have read most of this thread first, but now I see that your use case is Filming. I assume that's videography of some sorts, while you are moving? Without a doubt, the Z10 is the absolute best wheel for this use. It is super stable and extremely easy to ride and control at slow speeds, going in circles, etc. I have nearly every wheel, and I'd grab my Z10 if I needed to film something while I was in motion.

Just got the impression after watching a lot of reviews.

Exactly. Getting long smooth zooming/panning shots would otherwise require really expensive and bulky stuff like cranes etc.

Interesting, I thought it might be an advantage for the Z10. But I can't test it irl and atm no one is selling it in Europe so... off the list.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Windjammer said:

I pulled the trigger an ordered...

THE BATWHEEEL Z10!   :wub:

Welcome to the darkness~

When I received my Z10 I don't really like it, but let it consume you for a few days and you will not want to get off from it.

Just remember: With great wheel comes great responsibility.. (whoops wrong superhero)

Edited by Kens
  • Like 2

One reason to consider the 18XL is that you can get larger pedals for it. If you have size 14 feet (like *somebody I know*) then the bigger pedals are important. Also consider the pedal angle of the MSX (although that's easy to remedy with a bit of filing). 

Ah, I see you got the Z10... but there are always future wheel buying decisions. ;)

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1