Tesla version confusion (and a few more Qs)

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Don't worry, it's just plain envy, nothing personal;):pooping:

Not sure that Europe is the largest market, that might be China or Korea maybe? But maybe Europe is (especially if you go by revenue, not wheel number).

You Canadians seem to enjoy the benefit of being close enough to the US.

yea im not sure either.. im just totally guessing going by popularity.. if you look at a per person number europe is probably highest... but china and korea while maybe not as many per person, theres a lot more people lol.. and they are pretty much all made there so yea.. oh for sure we do

15 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

nice... i may or may not be in the minority here but i prefer the aesthetic of a minimalist, no frills no nonsense wheel.. i thought the ACM was a gorgeous wheel completely utilitarian no flashy lights or other crap like that just nice and compact does exactly what it needs to do and no more.. i always prefer the minimalist look for pretty much everything though, thats the reason why i have never once in my life turned on the light show on any of my wheels and really wish manufactures would stop adding them as i think they look extremely corny... BUT the led integration in the 16X where its hidden and sort of like under lighting, looks completely badass.. when its off no one can tell theyre there, when its on it looks clean and professional and not ridiculously flashy like a circus act xD thats just my opinion though im sure obviously enough people like the lights hence why they keep adding them... i am excited for the 16X though it looks so fantastic, cant wait to get mine :D 

Hidden speaker, understated LEDs, I think maybe you need to get a Z10 ;)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Hidden speaker, understated LEDs, I think maybe you need to get a Z10 ;)

that wheel is sexy af i love it, but im not interested in the tire.. i prefer the feel of a 14" wheel but like the 2.125 16" tire as well, for me the thinner the wheel the better i prefer complete nimbleness and find stability boring haha.. if they made a revision with a more normal sized tire i would definitely have snatched one up, but we all know that will never happen now :P

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i thought the ACM was a gorgeous wheel completely utilitarian no flashy lights or other crap like that just nice and compact does exactly what it needs to do and no more.

It is a gorgeous wheel, The other day I was riding it to class wearing a shirt with a TIE fighter on it and then realized, oh man I really am repping the empire today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

It is a gorgeous wheel, The other day I was riding it to class wearing a shirt with a TIE fighter on it and then realized, oh man I really am repping the empire today.

hahaha nice.. i actually got an imperial logo tattoo a few years back on my shoulder :P so im always repping the empire

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

that wheel is sexy af i love it, but im not interested in the tire.. i prefer the feel of a 14" wheel but like the 2.125 16" tire as well, for me the thinner the wheel the better i prefer complete nimbleness and find stability boring haha.. if they made a revision with a more normal sized tire i would definitely have snatched one up, but we all know that will never happen now :P

The Z10 is the best wheel for doing nothing on 😁 it's also very good off road and also very good at going 20-30mph , the wheel has an amazing feel , I'm not saying have this as your only wheel but i would definitely want this, i do miss the Z10 feel when I'm on my msx but then again i miss the msx feel when on the Z10 , but for around town and in public places the Z10 wins for me i love it ,,,Ooh! It also looks ACE😊😊

• Like 3

Thanks @Rywokast for the assurances. Ali prices are around $1200US which is still expensive for me since this is my first wheel. However I am going with the rationale of buying once. Of course the bug might get me. Between my sneaker collection, my two cars and this I am not sure there is enough money to go around though so after all said and done it feels like the Tesla will satisfy any speed desires in that I will never reach the safe 30mph limit and also ensure range anxiety is never a thing (I am in London so furthest single journey is likely only 10 miles).

The information about the Tesla II is super useful. I was really wary about ordering a piece of tech that is already 2-3years old. Not knowing the product lifecycle I was nervous that a newer/better thing would be released immediately after I pull the trigger. I think mobile phone/cellphone yearly cycles has made most tech people paranoid about that!

I guess in some way this new tech in place with the KS16X. However for me I think the weight of these products is a massive issue for me. At 24KG the 16X is just unmanageable (thinking about it, that's more then British Airways international baggage allowance!!! - which is 23KG). This is why on my journey for the right wheel I was looking at all the <16KG options. I've rationalised that the 3KG extra relative to the performance and range increase is a tradeoff worth having. But based on my needs (10miles any given journey) I would not go more.

Thank also in someway answers @meepmeepmayer suggestion of the KS18L. To me that size wheel is making the form factor no longer portable. I don't know the weight but I suspect it is around 25KG. I love my escooter and kick scooter because I can just jump on a bus and also still carry things alongside either scooter without feeling overloaded.

I understand the smaller wheel eucs are more nimble. 14" too small for potholes and crappy roads (NYC/London) 18" comfy but more like a yacht which logically makes the 16" the sweetspot - the speedboat.

On the speaker front, for the cruises that @Marty Backe does it is cool. But like a few of you I just can't stand tinny sounding music or any music/loud phone conversation that is effectively forced upon me! Me: my music, my headphones with low noise leakage - done.

Interestingly I would have thought you guys would be all about weight saving to increase top speed or range (pick your poison). Or perhaps I'm mistaking car enthusiasts with the obsession around carbon fibre this and that. And perhaps assuming that the speakers are 1+kg things.

I feel now a bit more content to order the wheel. I'm glad I learnt about the different versions and the next iteration doesn't equate to a performance increase. This settles me a bit more for spending a large amount of money on an untested pev (for me). It took me a while to plump for the £685 for my escooter (Nextdrive 2.0) some years back. I was originally in the market for another escooter but at least I will now have a different type of mode of transport/new experience.

Car, bike, kick scooter, escooter and now euc. I think that's enough of a fleet for now!

• Like 1

Following an order I just need to deal with the rest that follows...

Helmet, body armour, wrist guards...life insurance :roflmao:

And most importantly, some sort of protective cover for the Tesla. I can't stand the idea of wrecking such an expensive item! Suggestions welcome!

• Upvote 1

you wont regret it the tesla is a great all arounder.. definitely a good idea to go with buy something good the first time... unless you are realy wanting to go super long range, the tesla is not a wheel you will likely every grow out of... though the euc bug is extremely contagious and most of us have succumbed, there is nothing that can guarantee you can escape it as all euc's carry the virus lol.. btw the speaker weighs literally nothing.. like were talking a few ounces lol.. not that even 1 kg would have any effect whatsoever

18 minutes ago, rinzler said:

And most importantly, some sort of protective cover for the Tesla. I can't stand the idea of wrecking such an expensive item! Suggestions welcome!

oh absolutely.. protect the crap out of it for at least a week of riding.. you WILL drop it, thats a guarantee, and the tesla is a little more fragile than some others.. there are no covers, not for any euc besides a couple kingsong ones that are hand made in NZ so thats not an option.. use whatever you have but i suggest this stuff, it includes the tape and works great. remember to always push the handle down fully when riding, they are a weak point and can very easily break if its up at all while riding. another thing i did before when i let my friend come on a ride with me was to get a thin yoga mat and wrap it around the euc then just tape it together lol.. ugly af and crude, but it will offer better protection and be very quick to do

for yourself, immediately i would recommend gloves/wrist guards.. they are by a long shot the most important.. if you feel like it a helmet too but i dont feel this is really important at the slow speeds you will be going when learning.. most of the time you will just be able to run it off, or you will take a tumble at a slow speed and your hands will take it all.. i mean whatever you want some people go out dressed like a modern knight, and some wear only gloves.. i dont wear anything but i suggest you at the very least go with gloves and wrist guards, and a helmet if you want but its importance is nowhere near what it is at speeds >20 kph.. anything under that is easy to run off, i learned on the ninebot with its top speed of 20 kph and in the 2000 km i did on it especially when very first learning, i was able to run off every single time, never once fell.. suggest you set tiltback to 20-25 kph for the first week

Edited by Rywokast

35 minutes ago, PaulSG said:

just sharing what seems to be the new tesla with bluetooth speaker and the illuminating logo. These perforated holes on the cover will not be a good thing in water proofing comparing to the older generations. 

abrasion is prominent on the speaker ring and light ring due to the anti-slip pedals. 

A closer look at the speaker. XVDL8195.thumb.JPG.c93b5347bb4121787278e18487c7a23a.JPG

Nice photos. I'd sill prefer this Tesla to mine, even with it's flaws.

3 hours ago, rinzler said:

perhaps I'm mistaking car enthusiasts with the obsession around carbon fibre this and that.

Well, the weight savings are most effective on the part that weighs the most. For an EUC is is the rider. :D

3 hours ago, rinzler said:

I'm glad I learnt about the different versions and the next iteration doesn't equate to a performance increase.

There was some talk earlier on about the new Tesla 2 having a 2.5” wide tire. That would make it a much more worthy upgrade in my books. Any news about the tire? Haven’t seen it mentioned in the auctions.

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

i suggest this stuff, it includes the tape and works great.

That’s the standard stuff many of us use, and can also be found as ”Baby Bumper Strip”. Although, a thicker shield wouldn’t hurt for the first days of learning. Yoga mat, thick neoprene sheet, or a 1/2” thick closed cell foam sheet, etc.

for yourself, immediately i would recommend gloves/wrist guards.. they are by a long shot the most important..

I agree. But the second on my list would be elbow protectors, then knees, only then a helmet, then abrasion resistant clothing. But the last one makes more sense for us who constantly ride past 40km/h, or do a lot of speedy off-road.

speeds >20 kph.. anything under that is easy to run off

That’s just not true. An EUC fall even at low speeds can be a very peculiarly angled tumble. Anything other than a fall straight forward is extremely hard to run off. My worst tumble was at around 20 km/h, when the wheel sank and continued left. I did get a few footings before landing on my shoulder/elbow/hands.

My another tumble was a sideways slip on a muddy spot. Zero chance of running it off, landing on hands/elbows.

suggest you set tiltback to 20-25 kph for the first week

And only after you have familiarized yourself with the tiltback at slow speeds! My natural limit has kept me at reasonable speeds during the learning, and even through a few wheel upgrades. But I’ve learned that not all of us have a limit like that, so a predetermined tilt-back is good to have.

I now keep the tilt-back at it’s highest setting. At those speeds the beeps are usually not audible, so without tilt-back you have zero protection against speed blindness.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

That’s just not true. An EUC fall even at low speeds can be a very peculiarly angled tumble. Anything other than a fall straight forward is extremely hard to run off. My worst tumble was at around 20 km/h, when the wheel sank and continued left. I did get a few footings before landing on my shoulder/elbow/hands.

My another tumble was a sideways slip on a muddy spot. Zero chance of running it off, landing on hands/elbows.

i can only speak from experience, and i never once had a fall when learning that i couldnt run off.. and havent had one since.. of course any amount of injuries can happen on anything at any speeds, so youre right im just saying you dont need to go out and buy a full suit of armour before the first time you step on the euc xD i do think hands are number one, and i like the order that you went in i agree with that, while the head is the most important, it has by far the smallest chance of taking a hit in any crash going by what ive garnered from accident threads here.. but of course the more protection the better

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulSG said:

just sharing what seems to be the new tesla with bluetooth speaker and the illuminating logo.

Great, thank you!

Do you by chance have photos of the board? I'm wondering if it's still the Tesla board, or the MSX one now (or even the newer Nikola one?).

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, rinzler said:

Congratulations! The price really is fantastic (what a contrast to the state of the market one year ago), and it's a great wheel.

Don't forget knee guards. And ankle covering shoes for the learning phase.

There's plenty of discussion for padding wheels here, usually you just slap some foam/cardboard on for the first two weeks, and then you just remove that and it's barely going to fall anyways.

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Congratulations! The price really is fantastic (what a contrast to the state of the market one year ago), and it's a great wheel.

£962 ish is what I ended up at - it's on promotion at the moment. Normally I think it's about  £1000 If I could afford to I would have bought from Speedy Feet. I think Ian is really probably the number 1 promoter of euc riding in the UK. Really enjoy his youtube videos. I'm content with the risks of no warranty or needing to teardown the unit (moreso now that I've learnt how to repair brakes and how to fit an alternator on a car).

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Don't forget knee guards. And ankle covering shoes for the learning phase.

Oh no! I can't possibly ruin my Air Jordans! I'll have to sacrifice a pair of trainers. I hope this hobby doesn't wreck ones footwear!?

16 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Great, thank you!

Do you by chance have photos of the board? I'm wondering if it's still the Tesla board, or the MSX one now (or even the newer Nikola one?).

sorry i didn't took out the motherboard of the wheel. i've noted there is a little black fan on the top of that board. I believe it should be similar to the previous generation. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rinzler said:

£962 ish is what I ended up at - it's on promotion at the moment. Normally I think it's about  £1000 If I could afford to I would have bought from Speedy Feet. I think Ian is really probably the number 1 promoter of euc riding in the UK. Really enjoy his youtube videos. I'm content with the risks of no warranty or needing to teardown the unit (moreso now that I've learnt how to repair brakes and how to fit an alternator on a car).

Oh no! I can't possibly ruin my Air Jordans! I'll have to sacrifice a pair of trainers. I hope this hobby doesn't wreck ones footwear!?

I wear the same footwear on every ride and still in good condition after  12 months of riding 😊😁😊 you happy now 😊😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rinzler said:

quite the opposite.. i started riding EUC, and then i quit walking altogether lmao.. my shoes have never looked better :P

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, stephen said:

I wear the same footwear on every ride and still in good condition after  12 months of riding 😊😁😊 you happy now 😊😊

Cool, so like wheels, you can tell us how many miles you have on your shoes :lol:

• 6 months later...

I just got my Tesla today.  Got on it and started riding right away.  So glad I did not buy a cheapo wheel.  Anyway I could not figure how to connect and play the speakers.  I saw it there, but my Tesla logo lit up.. so I think I was there. I absolutely love this wheel.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tim Widmer said:

I just got my Tesla today.  Got on it and started riding right away.  So glad I did not buy a cheapo wheel.  Anyway I could not figure how to connect and play the speakers.  I saw it there, but my Tesla logo lit up.. so I think I was there. I absolutely love this wheel.

Nothing wrong with getting a cheap wheel, I would not want to give my Tesla to someone else to try out 🙄

• Like 1