Tesla version confusion (and a few more Qs)

I've taken all the great worldly advice and experiences on here and plumped to make the Gotway Tesla my weapon of choice.  However looking on the different seller sites I'm now confused by the number of versions ood this wheel.  In this case I'm specifically talking about revisions to the model not the power variants. 

In this example I'm looking at the 84v 1020wh variant. 

Figured this topic might also help some others in their journey.  

So can someone confirm how many versions/ revisions of this wheel exist? Amd what those revisions are.  @Marty Backe i suspect you'll be a great knowledge source for this.

As a starter what I have seen  (not for accuracy):

Month? 2017 - Tesla original rev1: dodgy electrics and all that other scary QC stuff

Month? 2017 - Tesla  rev1.1: revised mainboard

Month? 2018 - Tesla  rev2: 1020wh version introduced, black plastic shell changed to carbon fibre look all over.

Month? 2019 - Tesla  rev3: ???? this is listed on Ali by but I don't know what is different (see below). Not sure the battery source might be it???

2019 NEW GOTWAY Tesla Detailed parameters
motor:2000W 
battery:850WH/1020WH
battert life:60-80km
battery model:NCR18650PF/NCR18650GA
max speed:55km/h+
No load speed: 68km/h
max load:120kg
max slope:25°(90kg test)
weight:about 19kg
Pedal ground height:15cm
wheel:16inch
Body size:420mm*200*563mm
Speed alarm: 1 level alarm, 30km/h, two alarm, 35km/h, three alarm, 80% power alarm

Also to just confirm am I right in saying that no version has a wheel cut off sensor for when you lift it (like the kingsong/inmotions)? Kind of annoying if so since they have the nice carry handle. 

Would be great to understand jusy what i need to check when i buy/ receive mine. 
  • Like 1

I have the first version. I'm concerned to learn that mine has "dodgy electrics" :blink1:  :D   Honestly, the first version had no problems that I'm aware of.

I guess I haven't really been following the various versions so I can't provide any additional insight. I will say that the very last version has speakers and a motor cutoff switch in the handle. There are pictures here and elsewhere of the wheel. That's the one I would hunt down.

44 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I have the first version. I'm concerned to learn that mine has "dodgy electrics" :blink1:  :D   Honestly, the first version had  I will say that the very last version has speakers and a motor cutoff switch in the handle. There are pictures here and elsewhere of the wheel. That's the one I would hunt down.

Ha. And you've not been blownup or set on fire by it! Thanks for your input.  I've been watching a lot of your youtube videos. Most helpful.

I haven't seen a speaker and handle cut off version mentioned on any spec I've seen. The latter would be fantastic.

I will check with my vendor to confirm this.

I checked the info about the batteries. Basically both the same one Panasonic  one Sanyo. The Sanyo is marginally better and apparently better over charge cycles.

Hope the version clarification will help others. Just been listening to very interesting @Afeez Kay and @Tishawn Fahie youtube interview. I'm a little worried that they both say the Tesla is more if you're an expert level. 😓🤑😬. Me and my 'future-proofing' mentality!

Hopefully my experience on a snowboard and on kick and escooter will give a learning curve advantage! 

Watch out streets of London!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Here's a picture of the newest Tesla, taken in the Gotway factory. Notice the cutoff switch in the handle and the cool speaker.

Newest Tesla with speaker and shutoff switch in the handle

Argh! When is due to release?  

I don't really care for the speakers (I'll stop there on my opinion on that...!).

The cut off is the most important part.  

I have seen more experience people use the shortcut of just lifting and keeping it perpendicular to the ground. 

If there is no other technical improvements and a heavy price increase then i might just stick with what @Rywokast calls the rev 3 (hopefully that's what I'm getting!?) Although the pads sound like a bummer.

If on the other hand there is a marginal price hike but a much better all round technical improvement then it seems silly for me to buy an obsolete model. 

The downside of tech.  Jumping on this speeding train is never easy!

Any ideas on pricing/ availability? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rinzler said:

Argh! When is due to release?  

I don't really care for the speakers (I'll stop there on my opinion on that...!).

The cut off is the most important part.  

I have seen more experience people use the shortcut of just lifting and keeping it perpendicular to the ground. 

If there is no other technical improvements and a heavy price increase then i might just stick with what @Rywokast calls the rev 3 (hopefully that's what I'm getting!?) Although the pads sound like a bummer.

If on the other hand there is a marginal price hike but a much better all round technical improvement then it seems silly for me to buy an obsolete model. 

The downside of tech.  Jumping on this speeding train is never easy!

Any ideas on pricing/ availability? 

its been available for a little while now.. it seems to be quite limited and in addition to the regular model as its not common, it was on aliexpress for a while but it seems they took down that listing (guessing they just sold out.. i think its a bit of lets test the waters) this is the only available place that i know of where you can get it.. but it is an absolute rip off, i can easily get a tesla for under 1250 new whereas they want 1700 for this one.. not worth it in any shape or form.. if you want a good deal from a good seller here you go if you want something with fantastic customer service, quick shipping, warranty etc go with ewheels, youll pay slightly more but its worth it if you can afford it.. dont get the version with the new stuff its not worth it in any way lol you can get a bluetooth speaker for like 15 bucks that isnt awkwardly placed right where your feet are.. the lift sensor is a great addition and should be on all wheels, its baffling why it wasnt on the msx seeing as it was introduced in the mcm5 for gotway.. but anyways, its far from necessary and in no way worth the extra $$$

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rinzler said:

that absolutely is what you will be getting if you buy from aliexpress or ewheels or pretty much anywhere that isnt someones second hand wheel... it is all they have made for a long time, the old stock has long since been sold and i guarantee you will get the newest revision, dont worry about that

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Apparently the cutoff circuit has been available on the Gotway boards for a long time. The difficulty/expense is adding the switch hardware and wiring.

I saw at least on guy connect a switch to the existing MSX control board terminal wires to implement the cutoff functionality.

You (Gotway) can't just slap a cutoff switch on the existing MSX handle since it wasn't designed for it, and the MSX shell is essentially the same as the MSuper shell. So that's why they didn't incorporate it into the MSX. The MCM5 was a new design. I'm pretty sure it'll be included on all new Gotway wheels going forward.

oh really? i never saw that but i did see someone add their own to the tesla.. yea they should have done some redesign on the shell, the msuper is quite an old (in euc terms) design .. i agree, i think it will be included in everything going forward.. its good for manufacturers to finally realize that this is a useful function and not a gimmick.. speakers however i couldnt possibly care less about.. if i had a choice i would pick any kingsong without them to avoid those ugly speaker logos and cutouts in the shell sides xD inmotion ones i dont mind as they actually are very very difficult to spot and fit in very well at the front/back of the wheel with just some tiny holes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

oh really? i never saw that but i did see someone add their own to the tesla.. yea they should have done some redesign on the shell, the msuper is quite an old (in euc terms) design .. i agree, i think it will be included in everything going forward.. its good for manufacturers to finally realize that this is a useful function and not a gimmick.. speakers however i couldnt possibly care less about.. if i had a choice i would pick any kingsong without them to avoid those ugly speaker logos and cutouts in the shell sides xD inmotion ones i dont mind as they actually are very very difficult to spot and fit in very well at the front/back of the wheel with just some tiny holes

Now, I love the speakers. I don't use them all the time, but I do enjoy them at times. You should come along on a group ride when we are all cruising along to some nice riding music.

And when I'm using Google maps to navigate somewhere, I love being able to hear the navigation instructions from the wheel.

I see absolutely zero downside to having speakers. If you don't want to use them, then don't. But why remove the option for those of us who enjoy their periodic use.

Hopefully all future wheels will have speakers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Now, I love the speakers. I don't use them all the time, but I do enjoy them at times. You should come along on a group ride when we are all cruising along to some nice riding music.

And when I'm using Google maps to navigate somewhere, I love being able to hear the navigation instructions from the wheel.

I see absolutely zero downside to having speakers. If you don't want to use them, then don't. But why remove the option for those of us who enjoy their periodic use.

Hopefully all future wheels will have speakers.

oh i agree there is no downside to having speakers and it would be fun for a group ride.. just for me personally, i dont even know another soul with an euc and so i dont ever go on group rides and im always with headphones so i have never once used the speakers on any of my wheels so aesthetically, i would rather them not be there, but a better option would be to just make it less obvious as inmotion has done.. not ")))" four times (only two of which have a purpose....?) but anyways i suppose they do come in handy for a lot of people, i just hope they make them more discrete as KS generally makes beautiful wheels, but those cutouts have always bothered me, and they collect dust like crazy :P also i do love the look of those tesla speakers dont get me wrong, i just think the placement is awkward (not that there is much alternative) as from the pics ive seen it appears on one side it would be at the front of your foot, and on the other side that one would be at your heel... hopefully that was just a mistake they didnt notice in the render that i saw and the actual wheel they would both be on the same side.. but i cant say for sure until someone posts a video

• Like 1

The important thing is: there is no "bad" version of the Tesla as long as it is 84V/1020Wh (the second implies the first). (The only bad thing about the others is the reduced battery capacities, and less oomph on the 67V variants - still good wheels otherwise).

Don't be confused by the batteries. They use either certain 2900mAh cells or certain 3500mAh cells (to get different battery sizes) and that's all there is to it. 2 types of batteries used by Gotway for all their wheels/battery packs. Both types are quality cells.

Please do not take any Aliexpress/Gearbest/Chinese site info at face value.

There was no bad first revision of the Tesla, just a bad or unlucky batch of initial boards that fried as soon as people stepped on the wheels.

(Visible) Revisions:

• Tesla
  • Tesla with carbon optics
  • Telsa with cut-off and speaker (that's going to cost more than the 900 pound offer you found)

They might have switched to their new MSX/Monster 100V/MCM5 board or the even newer Nikola board on the latest revision (with the speaker + cutoff switch). Otherwise all Teslas should always have the same board. It's not bad or anything, and wasn't changed to the best of my knowledge.

--

Offtopic: just as another option, I want to mention a used KS18L so you know this exists. The Tesla might be better for your needs (cheaper, lighter and more maneuverable, but who knows, regular commuting might be more comfortable on an 18 incher). Price is GBP1300, which is a lot but comparably cheap to the new price or price of an 18XL.

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/used-unicycles/products/kingsong-ks18l-electric-unicycle-used

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Offtopic: just as another option, I want to mention a used KS18L so you know this exists. The Tesla might be better for your needs (cheaper, lighter and more maneuverable, but who knows, regular commuting might be more comfortable on an 18 incher). Price is GBP1300, which is a lot but comparably cheap to the new price or price of an 18XL.

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/used-unicycles/products/kingsong-ks18l-electric-unicycle-used

that used 18L is 260.00 (CAD) more than a brand new one lmao.. or are euc's for some reason just ridiculously higher priced in europe? https://freemotionshop.com/product/kingsong-ks-18l-1036wh/

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

that used 18L is 260.00 (CAD) more than a brand new one lmao.. or are euc's for some reason just ridiculously higher priced in europe? https://freemotionshop.com/product/kingsong-ks-18l-1036wh/

yes.

About speakers: I stopped riding with speakers a while ago, but if one stops for a picnic or something like that, it's nice to use the wheel as a music source.

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

or are euc's for some reason just ridiculously higher priced in europe?

Yes.

The price is from a dealer, not an private seller, so you might find a used one cheaper.

But yes.

Wheel prices are criminal here. Are you sure that site you posted is real?:efef895ddd: 1300€ for an 18L!!! (even if you add tax that's dirt cheap)

Just do the math here:  https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yes.

The price is from a dealer, not an private seller, so you might find a used one cheaper.

But yes.

Wheel prices are criminal here. Are you sure that site you posted is real?:efef895ddd: 1300€ for an 18L!!! (even if you add tax that's dirt cheap)

Just do the math here:  https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle

of course its real ive bought a few wheels from them :P they also have an amazon store, their prices will include tax as they fudge the declaration like ali sellers haha.. 2000-2200 CAD tax inc (1500-1650 USD) has been the going rate for a while now.. i paid only 2700 CAD (2025 USD) for my 18XL including tax and shipping.. it seems very odd that for a place that is arguably the largest market and most competitive market for PEV's they would have such exorbitant prices...

edit, im not sure the reason but they actually have a ton of unlisted wheels for sale, you just need to pm them to get a good price and pay over paypal

Edited by Rywokast

6 minutes ago, Smoother said:

yes.

About speakers: I stopped riding with speakers a while ago, but if one stops for a picnic or something like that, it's nice to use the wheel as a music source.

i am biased heavily i will admit because i am against noise pollution of any kind.. cars, motorbikes, loud music etc etc.. to me personally sound pollution of any kind is rude to those around you, therefore i would never use speakers in public.. thats just a personal opinion im not saying you shouldnt have them and enjoy them, i have headphones in so i dont care about any noise haha

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

oh i agree there is no downside to having speakers and it would be fun for a group ride.. just for me personally, i dont even know another soul with an euc and so i dont ever go on group rides and im always with headphones so i have never once used the speakers on any of my wheels so aesthetically, i would rather them not be there, but a better option would be to just make it less obvious as inmotion has done.. not ")))" four times (only two of which have a purpose....?) but anyways i suppose they do come in handy for a lot of people, i just hope they make them more discrete as KS generally makes beautiful wheels, but those cutouts have always bothered me, and they collect dust like crazy :P also i do love the look of those tesla speakers dont get me wrong, i just think the placement is awkward (not that there is much alternative) as from the pics ive seen it appears on one side it would be at the front of your foot, and on the other side that one would be at your heel... hopefully that was just a mistake they didnt notice in the render that i saw and the actual wheel they would both be on the same side.. but i cant say for sure until someone posts a video

The Z10 speaker is also stealth :thumbup: and it looks like the Nikola is stealth too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rywokast said:

i am biased heavily i will admit because i am against noise pollution of any kind.. cars, motorbikes, loud music etc etc.. to me personally sound pollution of any kind is rude to those around you, therefore i would never use speakers in public.. thats just a personal opinion im not saying you shouldnt have them and enjoy them, i have headphones in so i dont care about any noise haha

You and me both, I'm practically the noise Nazzi here on the forum, but no where did i say around public, or loud.  That's why i stopped riding with speakers 2 years ago; but with a friend on a sparsely  occupied beach, at quiet volumes, there is no one to annoy. A wheel on it's side also makes a pretty good picnic table.;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

The Z10 speaker is also stealth :thumbup: and it looks like the Nikola is stealth too.

nice... i may or may not be in the minority here but i prefer the aesthetic of a minimalist, no frills no nonsense wheel.. i thought the ACM was a gorgeous wheel completely utilitarian no flashy lights or other crap like that just nice and compact does exactly what it needs to do and no more.. i always prefer the minimalist look for pretty much everything though, thats the reason why i have never once in my life turned on the light show on any of my wheels and really wish manufactures would stop adding them as i think they look extremely corny... BUT the led integration in the 16X where its hidden and sort of like under lighting, looks completely badass.. when its off no one can tell theyre there, when its on it looks clean and professional and not ridiculously flashy like a circus act xD thats just my opinion though im sure obviously enough people like the lights hence why they keep adding them... i am excited for the 16X though it looks so fantastic, cant wait to get mine :D 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

You and me both, I'm practically the noise Nazzi here on the forum, but no where did i say around public, or loud.  That's why i stopped riding with speakers 2 years ago; but with a friend on a sparsely  occupied beach, at quiet volumes, there is no one to annoy. A wheel on it's side also makes a pretty good picnic table.;)

we are in total agreement there my friend :) i have no qualms whatsoever about people on a lonely trail or going up a mountain or on a secluded beach etc etc using their speakers, its great that they are there for you to enjoy.. its just that i live in a densely populated city and 99% of my riding is within that densely populated city with homes and shops everywhere in sight, so my opportunity to use a speaker while not bothering anyone is pretty much non existent lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

it seems very odd that for a place that is arguably the largest market and most competitive market for PEV's they would have such exorbitant prices...

• Europe: VAT like 20% or 25% or God help you if you're in Hungary  --  US: "lol, loophole!, no sales tax on online sales"
  • Europe: import fees... 30% (third hand number, may be made up) -- US: "lol Chinese electronics are duty free, let's kill our industry"
  • Europe: "Hey, these Euros are rich right? Let's gouge them!:w00t2:" says everyone from every country ever -- US: 70% of people wouldn't have $400 in an emergency or something

Especially the 3rd is a thing. Euro = made of gold for many people. Someone gonna subsidize EUC development for everyone:eff0541f4a:

14 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

lmao

6 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

:P

Timecoded for your pleasure:

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:
  • Europe: VAT like 20% or 25% or God help you if you're in Hungary  --  US: "lol, loophole!, no sales tax on online sales"
  • Europe: import fees... 30% (third hand number, may be made up) -- US: "lol Chinese electronics are duty free, let's kill our industry"
  • Europe: "Hey, these Euros are rich right? Let's gouge them!:w00t2:" says everyone from every country ever -- US: 70% of people wouldn't have $400 in an emergency or something

Especially the 3rd is a thing. Euro = made of gold for many people. Someone gonna subsidize EUC development for everyone:eff0541f4a:

Timecoded for your pleasure:

:roflmao: please dont hate me xD yikes sorry to hear about that, sounds terrible that you are gouged so much.. we have it pretty good here i guess

Don't worry, it's just plain envy, nothing personal;):pooping:

Not sure that Europe is the largest market, that might be China or Korea maybe? But maybe Europe is (especially if you go by revenue, not wheel number).

You Canadians seem to enjoy the benefit of being close enough to the US.

• Like 1