Teaching EUC, how to ?

Soren Blondlot

Everyone who rides a bicycle already knows how to ride an EUC, they just don't realize it yet.

Get another EUC or bicycle, stand them up on the EUC, and you and them wobble along until they get it, which takes maybe two minutes if they're being slow.

Now if you said mounting the EUC, that's entirely a new skill most people take a long time to learn.

Best teaching advice I keep giving is calm tf down.   I struggled to learn on my own when I started, and it was the day I had a few beers before trying again that it finally clicked.  I recommend a pilsner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Czestnut said:

Best teaching advice I keep giving is calm tf down.   I struggled to learn on my own when I started, and it was the day I had a few beers before trying again that it finally clicked.  I recommend a pilsner.

:facepalm:...................:roflmao:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Czestnut said:

Hmmm... I’d like to teach to my young daughter too...

• Like 1

I suspect it will depend a lot on the student. I watched a crapton of tutorial videos and spent about a week indoors practicing mounting/dismounting and going short distances across rooms and down hallways. (Not to mention some practice trying to ride the acoustic unicycle before that.) Then I went outside and could basically ride right away (but only going straight). Because I kept the EUC practice at home for a while I could do 3-4 short sessions per day, which I feel let me integrate the new experience/data relatively quickly and with no real mishaps. If I had to go outside each time it would have taken me weeks to get the same number of sessions.

• Like 1

I have already taught 4 teenage girls (my daughteer and 3 of her friends) how to ride using the same method.  I used a segway mini-lite (2 wheels) and just ride along with them while holding their hand.  In the beginning I was jogging along with them but I got tired fast after a few laps around the block, so I started to used the mini-lite and it has worked great.  They would do a few laps around the block and really have a feel for the  EUC, after a short period it would click with them.  And lastly I would teach them to mount.  All the girls learn within an hour or so, with the fastest learner it was 30 mins to be able to ride on her own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Czestnut said:

I know someone who sometimes rides with half a skinful :whistling: I He claims he rides a lot better, but he would't recommend it(being all PC and what have you)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 6:59 PM, Soren Blondlot said:

Hmmm... I’d like to teach to my young daughter too...

My Daughter learned my wheel before I did... kids have no fear.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:09 AM, Smoother said:

I know someone who sometimes rides with half a skinful :whistling: I He claims he rides a lot better, but he would't recommend it(being all PC and what have you)

That's me pretty much every weekend.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Patrolling and tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty...

• Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 1:05 PM, LanghamP said:

Now if you said mounting the EUC, that's entirely a new skill most people take a long time to learn.

Well said as mounting a self balancing device is quite an intimidating experience for the first several attempts (IMHO)! 

7 hours ago, Czestnut said:

My Daughter learned my wheel before I did... kids have no fear.

I wish that were the case in my family. I tried teaching my granddaughter but I think she became traumatized after my accident and is now too afraid. My grandson Logan also tried. 

Unfortunately Her colorful GW Luffy came back to my stable last week. :crying:I’ll have to patiently wait until she is ready. 

47770694291_7f7ff1e85d_b.jpg

46854367435_6a55ace707_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 10:00 PM, Soren Blondlot said:

Learning EUC was quite fast for me. But I don’t know how to teach it. Do you have tips, or a secret method?

I have 2 weels but I feel lonely, no old friend to share EUC with.

These are my top four "secret" tips:

• for the first 10-20 minutes hold their hands (and catch them when they fall),
  • make them looking up and forward instead of down,
  • check their foot position (usually it is too far back),
  • let them swivel the wheel (rather than tilt).

In particular for kids, make them dismount (jump off) and at the same time catch the wheel with the hands as a reflex. Tell them that the pedals bite, so keeping the feet away from the pedals when jumping off.