Pitbull killed my neighbors dog.

RockyTop

5 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

LOL dead give-away and fatal mistake. 

P.S.:  My family owned a quarantine, kennel, pet shop, and pet boarding facility.  I've been involved in pets longer than you have and much more deeply.  Maybe longer than you've been alive.  My mother is a national and international judge in rally, agility, and obedience.  She's off to judge in Vienna next week, free and pre-paid.  We've trained in scent-tracking and herding, etc.  She has multiple championships in everything you could think of.

Your anecdotes do not run that deep, nor counter to the basics of breeding.  Your denial of the basic nature of terriers speaks worlds about your willingness to embrace denial.

Does that help your cause?  I'd suggest quite the opposite.  It just makes you look woefully out of your depth at best.  That, and your approach otherwise, is very counter-productive.  It may fool some of the people some of the time, but there is no way you will convince most people unless you come from a more sound and reasonable place.  Yours is a very counter-productive approach.  Do reconsider.  Passion is cute and all, but it's not even close to what you need to defend your point and advance your agenda.  

LOL dead give-away and fatal mistake. 🤭 now I’ve gone and done it; awakened the dragon. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

My family owned a quarantine, kennel, pet shop, and pet boarding facility 

No experience as breeders though huh?😕😕😕

Slim. I’m Laughing even louder at you 😂😂😂😂. Denial is thinking that your Mama’s occupation as a judge in show dog competitions gives you personal SME status about Pit Bulls. Neither your Mama, or you have 40+ years owning and breeding Pit Bulls; like me.

Look here Slim. I can trace the lineage of the Pit Bulls that my family owns right now all the way back to the some of the earliest Bulldogs brought to the USA, by the Irish Breeder, Con Feeley. I am sure that neither you or your Mama has ever heard of that name in association with Pit Bull history. I find it amusing that you honestly think owning a friggin family owned and operated pet shop makes you a Pit Bull expert, and overcomes 40+ years of knowledge gained from personal involvement with this breed.

Does that help your cause? Approach? advance your agenda. Slim. This may be a “counter-productive” discussion about dogs😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I’m gonna take these comments as a compliment. That my opinion on a breed with which I am very acquainted makes me Che F#$&@# Guevara in your eyes is absolutely hilarious. Resorting to labeling me a revolutionary because my perspective runs counter to the disneyesque narrative apparently running through yo Mama’s pet shop only shows me that you know your argument is some bullshit. Since your knowledge on this breed is insufficient to effectively argue with me, you resort to invoking yo Mama’s occupation And emotional retorts that amount to name calling; now, that’s what I passion in defense of bullshit . 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Passion is cute and all

Slim. I can’t even take you seriously enough to be offended by this comment. Since I have stated it so plainly, by now you must be well aware of what I think of your argument. Furthermore, since you brought yo Mama and her multiple occupations; none of which include breeding into this conversation as evidence of your personal SME status. She should have taught you that “aggression” and “gameness” are apples and oranges, and that “aggression” has never been a legitimate breeding criteria 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 But then again, I suppose that you need to learn that from an actual breeder.

Now, it really is time for me to put my involvement in this discussion to bed.

Edited by Lutalo

21 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Now, it really is time for me to put my involvement in this discussion to bed.

I find it interesting that the arguments for and against pitbulls (or other breeds associated with attacks on humans) are similar to the argument for and against gun ownership and usage. You could almost substitute the breed of dog with a particular gun, and lose very little of the meaning. Dog owners who are already aggressive will breed dog for aggressiveness, and then dogs that are aggressive will then be bought by aggressive owners. Same thing with gun owners; they want guns that scream piss off while wanting very few if any rules limiting their gun ownership.

Perhaps both gun and dog owners are correct in their assessment that if limiting a type always results limiting all types, because almost without exception rules get more rather than less stringent over time.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:38 AM, Lutalo said:

slim

What's this "Slim" stuff?  Is this some form of name-calling?  

At any rate, my and our family's qualifications were listed.  They are national and international.  Of course we have been breeders, and for decades.  Of multiple breeds.  Why would any of that matter?  Could you really have thought we weren't?

Our level of expertise is solid.  It has been beyond yours for half a century.  Or .. you can poll some veterinarians if that's not good enough.  Your post started off really weird and I don't engage like that, so we can talk when you come back down to earth, if you like.  

At any rate, the terrier breed is what it is.  Bred properly, it isn't as volatile.  But of course, as you know, it has often been bred for precisely the worst qualities.  The dog's genetic qualities are not its fault, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I like plenty of questionable or outright dangerous things.  If I recall correctly, this forum is about one of them.  That doesn't mean I'm going to tell myself or others stories about the the risks involved or put on an attitude about it.  It is what it is.  So what?  I don't see why the truth is something to take offense about, or why we should have to whitewash it or insist others follow along.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:36 AM, LanghamP said:

I find it interesting that the arguments for and against pitbulls (or other breeds associated with attacks on humans) are similar to the argument for and against gun ownership and usage. You could almost substitute the breed of dog with a particular gun, and lose very little of the meaning. Dog owners who are already aggressive will breed dog for aggressiveness, and then dogs that are aggressive will then be bought by aggressive owners. Same thing with gun owners; they want guns that scream piss off while wanting very few if any rules limiting their gun ownership.

Perhaps both gun and dog owners are correct in their assessment that if limiting a type always results limiting all types, because almost without exception rules get more rather than less stringent over time.

I think there is a very broad range of gun ownership.  I grew up shooting guns and have done so all my life.  To me they were a sport, and a tool, like a hammer.  Nails need a hammer; rats need a .22.  For me, the rest was about shooting at the range, but whatever.  There was nothing scary involved, and I took my brothers to the range when they were still very small.  They had a good time.

I've never fired a machine gun, never gotten a AR-15 or whatever.  I don't care if I get one or don't.  Among people who grew up with guns, I don't think guns are a "thing" all that much.  I think people who did not grow up with guns are the ones who find guns a "thing."  And maybe get all wound up about them one way or another.

I believe people who get cars should pass a strict license test, that people who get guns should past a strict license test, and that people who get dogs commonly bred for attack should get a strict license test too.  No real difference between them, IMO.  Anyone who takes on extra liability and extra danger to the community should take on extra responsibilities to go with those rights of ownership.

The test shouldn't be burdensome, costly, depend on the whim of individual political appointees or law enforcement officers, or involve unnecessary delay.  But I don't believe making light of cars, guns, or dangerous dogs is responsible, about freedom, or clever in the least, nor passes for being intelligent, experienced, or open-minded, much less being in the slightest admirable or community-minded.  Responsibility is a serious thing, dangers should not be made light of, and people should behave responsibly within the purview of reasonable laws.

Even if you do like to blow the shit out of things with 50 calibers or breed dragons in the basement.

I've been snapped at by perhaps half a dozen so-called "emotional support animals", the first time by a tiny dog while waiting in line at a regional airport. However, being snapped at by these dogs happens often enough that by default I avoid all tables that have a ES dog present.

I think everyone has had their own bad experience with the emotional support dog; however, because the pet must be carried the damage isn't too bad.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/delta-passenger-suing-over-alleged-attack-by-emotional-support-dog-report

I think the above story is a lot more common, it's just that the damage is a bit less and people rightly consider a dog bite on the hand much less serious than the face.

It's very unfortunate, but people being people, they do the people thing.  In the same way that people who are sick tell you they aren't contagious --are they doctors? how the heck would they know? -- people like to pretend their dogs are harmless and/or well-behaved.  Unfortunately, some (most?) of those people spoil it for the rest of us.  This same mentality was mentioned in a recent thread about dogs I was just reading elsewhere ... people tend to excuse their dogs no matter what, in the same way they excuse their children.  In reality, they are excusing themselves.  We will never get full honesty about this.  We'll get plenty of poorly-disguised defensiveness and righteous indignation, though.

The "emotional support animal" schtick is wearing pretty thin by now in our town.  But you can't actually ask someone with an emotional support animal what their disability is.  I forget the specifics, though I could probably find them out pretty quick, as my mother had to deal with the licensing to go to Europe a few days ago.  They take pet responsibility seriously there in a way Americans aren't used to.  Suffice it to say, international travel with dogs doesn't have the same low standard that walking though your local Walmart does.  Thank goodness, because that latter standard can be so low as to be useless.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen an obviously poorly trained, or even aggressive dog brought into a store.  Sometimes they even have a harness on, sometimes with some sort of little jacket that says they are this or that kind of certified or whatever.  The truth is, you can buy such vests/harnesses online for cheap.  I've seen these lunging, anxious, dopey dogs (lovable though they may be) in stores countless times around here.  I believe it's become a problem.  I would certainly hold back children from such dogs.  

There is so much difference between a truly well-trained and docile dog and ... well ... maybe your best friend.  Even though they may be equally lovable.  To you, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Pitbulls are not the only killers, my uncle had a female black lab that just got meaner as she aged, who finally snuffed out his neighbor's small dog in her last years in life... Any thing smaller than her was fair game in her eyes....

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Typical pitbull kills child story. And it's always a pitbull. Always.

(CNN) — A week before 9-year-old Emma Hernandez was mauled to death by three pit bulls in Detroit, her father got into an argument with the dogs' owner about them roaming free in the neighborhood, family members told CNN affiliate WDIV.
Emma was riding her bike near her home in Southwest Detroit on Monday when the dogs escaped from the neighbor's yard and attacked her, the station reported.