Foot Pain - Cycling Shoes - TIP

Robert Jackson

Folks,

I'm new to EUCs. I started riding in November 2018. I'm really enjoying riding my Ninebot E+ and Mten3.

My feet get tired after a few miles on either EUC. I've discovered I can use a pair of my old "cycle" shoes I used for spin class to ride.
This makes riding for long periods no problem at all. The cycle shoes distribute your weight evenly across the EUC pedals.

Regards,

Robert

As long as the front end of the shoe is not angled up a lot, stiff soled shoes indeed work well. Angled ones act like a rocking chair and your connection to the pedals is hindered during acceleration and obstacles. ”Rocker” shoes obviously being the worst.

If the pedals were the size of your shoe, the shoe type wouldn’t matter nearly as much. Which is why some of us build large top plate extensions to our pedals! :)

What about 'bouncy' trainers/ sneakers.  My other hobby (though this is technically not one yet!) Is collecting trainers.  Adidas has a cushioning system called boost. The ultra boost and pure boost are super comfy.  Trust could help. Nike has a slightly less comfy version called React foam. For those with plantar fasciitis this might help reduce discomfort. 

Hope that helps. 

I assume softer midsoles would be better for longer riding but not too soft since (like snowboarding) you don't want lag introduced by the cushioning absorbing your impact? 

On the subject of shoes. Does riding and euc ruin/dirty your shoes/ trainers/ sneakers quicker?

I have a lot of brand new trainers/ sneakers that ib dont wear if I'm cycling or on my kick scooter because they cease and get damaged.  Not cool for a sneaker collector!

If there is a good pair of shoes that can reduce foot/calf fatigue for 30 minutes of riding, then after 30 minutes of riding, you might have to find another better pair, if possible. The ultimate solution to foot/calf fatigue is take the pressure off your foot/calf or upgrade to a wheel with a seat option like the KS18S. IMO KS18S is the best due to its height off the ground, so you don't have to crouch too far down to be seated. 

5 hours ago, rinzler said:

What about 'bouncy' trainers/ sneakers. 

I used aftermarket Nike Air midsoles for a while, and they truly did wonders for reducing the vibration on gravel roads for example, which in turn helped fight numbness and fatigue on longer rides. I didn’t consider them at all too bouncy/soft/comfortable. Unfortunately the other one broke, so I’m back at regular thick PU insoles.

I recently purchased Geox trainers that I’m considering switching to, and they have a pretty well dampening midsole. But it is a very soft shoe, and I’m not yet sure if that will prevent them being the ones for me.

The MSX sprays water and dust both on the front and the back of my shoes, so absolute no-no for a collector. The 18L or smaller wheels might do quite well protecting the shoe though.