Has anybody got problems with the new kingsong app

RoadRunner

On 5/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, Lordwonton said:

then like a fool I went and got the app and updated it and then it said “60kmh” instead of 20 but now it says 40 and I just went 25mph and the wheels went backward and almost threw me off!!!  Please someone tell me there is a way to fix this. Otherwise I’m selling it and getting a gotway ASAP 

Which app? The one with the white background, or the one with the blue background?

Have you tried going into the app and setting the warp / tiltback to 50 kph? That's the max for that wheel afaik. It's been mentioned before on the forum that if you try to set it to something higher than the max speed, it won't accept it. And, yes, the fact that the bar indicates 60kph is misleading. Then set the alarms below that with alarm1 < alarm2 < alarm3 < tiltback. (I'm no expert, that's just what I remember from other discussion.)

• Upvote 1

So I joined the "Club of bricked XLs" :angry: Today I finally decided to upgrade my XL from 1.11 to 1.12, so downloaded 3.1.1 app from KS website, installed, gave all requested permissions etc. etc. Initially everything was OK. I was able to register without any problem. App connected with the wheel, it was reading all parameters, I was able to change riding mode, enable/disable lif sensors and so on. So I decided to upgrade firmware... Started to upgrade but soon got stuck at 2%. No white LEDs as usual during wheel update. Motor disengaged. I was able to turn the wheel off by long pressing the power button for several seconds. Now I'm able to turn it on and KS app connects to the wheel, but whatever option I try to select I get information about wheel upgrade with "Continue upgrade" or similar blue button. After pressing the button, message just disappears and nothing happens.

Fortunately, I was able to restart firmware update using service application so I have wheel working again.

Geez that sounds scary a lot :o. I didn´t even know which danger I was in when I did the same work on my 18L the last week. Fortunatelly all went straight but it seems an all-or-nothing game more and more to me... But I´m glad to hear your wheel is on the road again.

Just for interest: Is there an ..ehem.. "source" :ph34r: for this service application somewhere? Maybe I will need such tool some day too...

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy

13 minutes ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Geez that sounds scary a lot :o. I didn´t even know which danger I was in when I did the same work on my 18L the last week. Fortunatelly all went straight but it seems an all-or-nothing game more and more to me... But I´m glad to hear your wheel is on the road again.

For me it seems to be a problem with King Song app so it's unable to recover during failed upgrade.

14 minutes ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Just for interest: Is there an ..ehem.. "source" :ph34r: for this service application somewhere? Maybe I will need such tool some day too...

I'm not authorized to disclose any information about it :efef585a74: However I'm pretty sure that if you ever experience similar problem, your dealer will help you :)

• Like 1

Just got my 18XL today.  

Have the geo restrictive issue.  Can’t adjust speed now I’ve passed 5km. 

What does the firmware update 1.12 do, is it necessary as I’m hesitant to try it?

374A93C6-1264-4B6A-9C4C-377D443D35F8.jpeg

Edited by Topkek

2 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

I had good luck with my XL, i didn’t even have to ride 1m to change speed to 40kmh.

Also i didn’t have any other problems with the app. :ph34r:

@Topkek maybe @Micheal Shen can help.

It’s okay now, the seller helped me.  Still unsure about doing this firmware update though.  

5 minutes ago, Topkek said:

It’s okay now, the seller helped me.  Still unsure about doing this firmware update though.  

Well, if the wheel works i wouldn’t update.

You could end up with a brick. :lol:

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, erk1024 said:

Which app? The one with the white background, or the one with the blue background?

Have you tried going into the app and setting the warp / tiltback to 50 kph? That's the max for that wheel afaik. It's been mentioned before on the forum that if you try to set it to something higher than the max speed, it won't accept it. And, yes, the fact that the bar indicates 60kph is misleading. Then set the alarms below that with alarm1 < alarm2 < alarm3 < tiltback. (I'm no expert, that's just what I remember from other discussion.)

Ah ok. The blue app. Yes that’s exactly what happens. Damn :( does the gotway do that or does it let you go fast without tilt back? I’m very new to all this. Got my first used wheel 18L last month 

15 hours ago, Lordwonton said:

Damn :( does the gotway do that or does it let you go fast without tilt back?

The Gotway MSX and the Monster (especially the 100V versions) do let you go faster, and you can turn off the tiltback. But here's the thing. If you lean forward and keep accelerating until the wheel can no longer get under you, then you faceplant at high speed on the asphalt. I saw a video of a guy who turned off the tiltback, but left the alarms on. He was going so fast he didn't hear the alarm beeps and he did a Superman off the front at 30mph--not good. You need to have some speed in reserve in order for the self-balancing function to work.

By the way, the XL won't let you set the speed above 25mph (40kph) until you've gone 200km. That's to keep newbies from injuring themselves in the period where they think they are invincible. Kingsong is more safety conscious than Gotway in this regard. 

But is 50kph really too slow? I hope you're wearing lots of body armor...  ;)

Edited by erk1024
fixed text issues
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lordwonton said:

Damn :( does the gotway do that or does it let you go fast without tilt back?

FYI, check out this video. This is what 50kph looks like. You notice he rarely gets to go max speed because of road hazards, bikes, etc.

I am getting a little nervous regarding my first wheel purchase of a KS18XL. It is due to ship at the end of the month from eWheels. I am wondering if I should cancel it and get the Gotway instead. I really like the reviews and features of the KingSong wheel but now I am having some serious second thoughts. I want to use the app to monitor and dial in my ride. Love to get some feedback from the more experienced 18XL users. 

Thanks,

Steve

1 hour ago, Graniteone said:

I want to use the app to monitor and dial in my ride. Love to get some feedback from the more experienced 18XL users. 

The only problem with new King Song app was during firmware update. Otherwise everything worked OK, so I don't think there is anything you should fear about. Anyway, if you are using Android phone, you can always use new WheelLog (https://euc.world/getwheellog) to monitor and record your ride details.

Said this in another thread.  I was really cautious when I did the firmware update.  

I turned off notifications on phone, closed all apps and just run the Kingsong app to do the firmware update.  No issues.  Then did the calibration.  

On 5/27/2019 at 8:10 AM, RoadRunner said:

A friend did an update to 1.12 yesterday and he can set his speed to 60kmph. :blink1:

As he let it free spin it says please decelerate at 60.

Can anyone confirm that 60kmph new max speed?

I have also had absolutely no problems with the KS app in the 4 weeks I've owned the KS18XL.  This includes performing a firmware upgrade to 1.12.  The app always connects, is able to change all parameters including speed alarms, riding mode, lights, etc.  It has fit/finish problems and horrible English translation of the UI, and the initial sign-up process took several attempts to get a valid login going (required), but other than that it functions fine for me.

I am on 1.12 and the speed can't be adjusted above 31mph (I have the app set to use miles instead of kilometers), which is the same 50km/h it's always been for the KS18L/XL.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:44 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Michael, can you instruct this Developer to remove these geo-restrictions. The Manufacturer should not be imposing arbitrary restrictions on Customer hardware. Once a Customer has paid for the equipment, it is theirs to do as they like with it. As is seen here, these ring-fencing measures are ill-conceived & poorly implemented, creating a lot of unnecessary frustration & work for everyone.

I appreciate you participating on the forum, so you can experience this first-hand.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:09 AM, Micheal Shen said:

Geo-restrictions, for the moment, is just a methods to protect the benefit for exclusive agent. This thing was decided before i joined Kingsong. Please kindly understand our Kingsong! Those exclusive agent have maken significant efforts to promote our brand.

If u have such restrictions, u can contact me and i will release your wheel according to the serial number and your case.

I just saw this thread by coincidence now and.. WOW - I hadn't realized things could be so dire with the new KS wheels. When I read about newer KS wheels limiting the max speed of the wheels according to miles ridden a while ago that seemed like a real nuisance to me, but I could at least understand their thinking even if it was flawed and not well considered (hello experienced riders with previous wheels!). That was made unlockable however in the end (I don't think it was at the start though if I recall correctly, just when the KS18L came out?).

However, having some kind of geo-restriction limiting the speed that you can't unlock without some personal communication with someone from the manufacturer's side though? That's just downright atrocious, and I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this before now :crying: The whole binding/unbinding stuff doesn't sound like anything I would want to touch with a ten-feet pole either.

The high-end wheels nowadays cost a lot, at least in my opinion. In line with @Jason McNeil's comment, when I buy a wheel I am (or was) under the impression that I'm buying a physical machine with certain properties, not signing up for some weird region-locked DVD rental like operation where some remote entity controls and allow for the functionality of my wheel. I don't consider myself a fanboy of any particular manufacturer (my three wheels so far has been KS, Inmotion and Gotway), but these kind of shenanigans will steer me away from buying a KS wheel in the future. Our wheels are not online software subscription packages for heaven's sake! For what it's worth I was similarly incensed to learn that Inmotion thought it fine to potentially disable their app for out-of-region wheels according to serial numbers, but apparently that was a known thing, so it's not just KS either, even though that in that case it wouldn't actually limit the capacity of the wheel.

Well, to each their own I guess, but count this particular grumpy man out..

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 11:16 AM, NylahTay said:

I'm getting my first KS EUC this week, the KS18XL.

Hey Nylah , I got my first KS EUC this week too (I realize it's a few weeks after your post)! It's a KS18XL! Today I went over the settings in the app and plugged in the charger. Tomorrow I check the tire pressure and roll on first ride! My previous wheels were IPS 121, IPS 191 (Lhotz), Gotway MCM 3, Gotway MSuper V2. What were your wheels before KS? Any besides S1? What do you think of your KS18XL by now?

Edited by MaxLinux
  • Like 1