Has anybody got problems with the new kingsong app

RoadRunner

Staff notice:

New official King Song apps will very soon be available as of 15th April 2020! Play Store and Apple App Store.

Please discuss the new apps in the new topic linked below. Please do not discuss the new apps in this old topic, or this will be very confusing for new members trying to find applicable information. This topic should only be about the old apps.

Original post follows.

-

Hello everyone 

I was just reading a report from @RoberAce on Facebook that his wheel is completely dead after upgrading the new firmware.

He writes that the firmware upgrade was stuck and then he couldn’t turn off his wheel at all and the sidelights where shining in brigt white.

He then disconnected the batteries, reconnected them but the wheel stays dead.

I just want to know if anybody has similar problems and what to do or not do, so me or others dont get in the same situation.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

6 hours ago, erk1024 said:

That's a shame. I hope he's able to sort it out. :(

It looks like ha has to get a new motherboard :huh: and he is really mad about it what i can understand because he just wanted to use the new app and that made his wheel broken.

Maybe @RoberAce will come her and tell his story.

Edited by Roadrunner

13 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

It looks like ha has to get a new motherboard

For KingSong having a firmware update brick a control board is a disaster! Imagine if this happened to all their customers. They'd never sell another wheel (or people would never update their firmware). Seems like the company should send him out one for free. But ... it's China...

39 minutes ago, tscottn said:

this almost happened to me on my 18xl but i was able to restart the wheel and get the fw upgraded after it froze..  thought I was hosed but got lucky i guess..  

Firmware updates can always "freeze" by some communication/app or whatsoever problem. That was imo solved by Kingsong already some time ago - the update process can be continued/restarted anytime again.

This seemed to work quite well - at least there were no reports lately. The (older/inbetween) reports of probs updating the firmware afair all ended with a succesfully resuming of the process.

A reoccuring problem was/is the vanishing SN (serial number)? Afair there were reports of the new app "deleting/destroying" the SN?

Maybe the app has problems fetching the right firmware for a wheel which SN it "erased" and so a wrong firmware is uploaded, which could destroy the hardware? That's just pure speculation by trying to put together some bits and pieces...

Looking forward to @RoberAce's report and maybe @US69 has some more information for us!?

Seems we were spoiled by flawlessly working updates for a long time so we all forgot the ancient ninebot update desasters :( Although the current situation is (hopefully) not as grave as it was with ninebot, one should always remember the saying: "Don't update firmware if it's not necessary"! At least as long as it's safety is not confirmed from multiple sources over longer time periods... :(

25 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I just kicked the new app in the trash and use the old white one again :ph34r:

Me too - quite immedeately after installing. I can't stand the permissions it asks for on android. But i got temped and tried it nevertheless - but then the unsuccessful registration process "saved" me.

Ps.: Moved this topic to the Kingsong forum to make it sticky (stay on top) - since the reports/discussions increase lately others have a higher chance to find this "warning"

-> could not delete this smiley on my phone so it stays here without sense and reason...

😎

Edited by Chriull

I have an 18XL on the way. How bad is the situation with the app and firmware? Should I just leave it at present firmware for now and just do the basics to get the wheel going? Will the new app work on iPhone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

I have an 18XL on the way. How bad is the situation with the app and firmware? Should I just leave it at present firmware for now and just do the basics to get the wheel going? Will the new app work on iPhone?

There is/was at least one new app for the iPhone. There were some versions for android lately - so it is hard to say exactly which version for which phone caused or could cause problems. Afair the exact versions and/or phones were not (always) stated...

There were some reports here till now of "lost" serial numbers and generally about the app. "Lost" serial numbers can easily be repaired with the support of your dealer/Kingsong and/or @US69.

There were also ?some/many? Reports of succesful updates!

This report of a dead wheel after upgrading is the first reported here and i just know what is posted in this topic...

So no knowledge when this happened and which app version was installed - maybe there could already be a new one out with problems solved?

So it could work out fine for you or not - at least here (?we are?)/i am missing information for any profound answer...

But since there seem to be at least some incidents lately and this last "final" report i decided to pin this topic here as warning for kingsong riders and hopefully some more information "gathers here"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Yes.  If the existing app/firmware allows you to modify the speeds, etc I would stay with it.  Use Darknessbot for day to day adjustments.  I would only upgrade the factory app/firmware if I was forced to or there is an operating flaw that is causing problems when riding. Factory app/firmware updates seems to introduce as many problems as they fix (IMHO).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yes.  If the existing app/firmware allows you to modify the speeds, etc I would stay with it.  Use Darknessbot for day to day adjustments.  I would only upgrade the factory app/firmware if I was forced to or there is an operating flaw that is causing problems when riding. Factory app/firmware updates seems to introduce as many problems as they fix (IMHO).

I dont believe you can unlock the top speed with Darkness Bot.  You can however unlock the first speed limit with DB. But to get to 30mph you need the actual KS app.  I might be wrong but this is what I found with my 18xl

2 hours ago, tscottn said:

I dont believe you can unlock the top speed with Darkness Bot.  You can however unlock the first speed limit with DB. But to get to 30mph you need the actual KS app.  I might be wrong but this is what I found with my 18xl

That sounds right. I was simply advising not to upgrade any existing factory app, if the current one is doing what he needs.

that being said, there are some cases still where a firmware upgrade can go wrong, im not too sure if the new app is working flawlessly for everyone or not.. but nonetheless its a slight risk, and if you bought your wheel from somewhere where it would be very difficult to send it back for any reason i would just not bother changing the firmware if its working fine.. but if you bought from a reputable dealer you might as well check the new firmware to see if it has any bug fixes or quality of life improvements.. idk what firmware youre on but a good example for the 18 is the lift sensor, it was greatly improved through a firmware update.. so just check the notes and see if its anything important (if you click firmware update it will give you the notes, dont worry it wont update it until you go to the next screen and confirm that you want to)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

just wanted to chime in and say that the newest (blue) app from kingsong works fantastic for me now

Just for the records - iPhone or Android (and for android which version - here are already some blue ones around)?

23 hours ago, tscottn said:

You can adjust speed with DarknessBot without problems even though you can’t in KS app (until you unlock it)

I have version 3.09 of the kingsong app and 1.12 for the firmware. The app kept forcing me to upgrade my firmware so I tried to do so but the upgrade process froze and I was forced to restart the app.

Now the kingsong app goes through this stupid cycle of either asking me to upgrade firmware and then being stuck at the "Upgrading firmware..." prompt and then not updating or syncing to the wheel but showing 100% charge regardless of the actual voltage (which appears to be reading correctly, just not in the in the graphic).

22 hours ago, Chriull said:

Just for the records - iPhone or Android (and for android which version - here are already some blue ones around)?

android 9.. newest version of the ks app 3.0.9 I think it is, all blue

Screenshot_20190415-113836_Kingsong.jpg

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 3:39 PM, Rywokast said:

phone number registration you must also enter the country code in your phone number even though you already seleted your country code.. so 14566547788 would be an example of the phone number you would have to put.. after that it worked the first time and i havent had trouble with it since, it connects instantly with my wheel and works every time, much better than the older orange and white app that i had been using.. it also works much better for speed unlock you dont get a thousand "net errors" when you try to connect, it just works

Thanks for that trick! The last word from KS on this topic was that the SMS Registration wasn't functioning. Now to have KS default to USA :)

There's been a couple reports of this latest App bricking the earlier 18A; we sent one Customer out the remaining 18A controller, he says he didn't upgrade the firmware, but just tried to change the speed & it did it again... Another issue we're encountering is this whole 'binding' non-sense, when the App is registers to a Wheel, it binds it to that phone, same as Inmotion. The only purpose this serves is to frustrate everyone involved with interacting with the App. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Thanks for that trick! The last word from KS on this topic was that the SMS Registration wasn't functioning. Now to have KS default to USA :)

There's been a couple reports of this latest App bricking the earlier 18A; we sent one Customer out the remaining 18A controller, he says he didn't upgrade the firmware, but just tried to change the speed & it did it again... Another issue we're encountering is this whole 'binding' non-sense, when the App is registers to a Wheel, it binds it to that phone, same as Inmotion. The only purpose this serves is to frustrate everyone involved with interacting with the App. 

oh man that sucks.. wow thats completely ridiculous theyre over complicating everything too much... just have it so that after X amount of km it unlocks the speed automatically and the tiltback speed remains the same, then you can use any app to change the speed... no registration, no serial number matching bs or whatever.. gotway has by far the best system where its just a low speed tiltback from default and you can change it to whatever you like whenever you like

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

It seems like in order to implement the binding nonsense, they had to push a firmware upgrade that renders both the orange and green app useless for changing the speed. The green app will still connect, but I cannot for the life of me force the orange app to connect at all (this is on a 14D, after upgrading to the newest firmware 1.11). What's more, is it seems that they've made the "PLEASE DECELERATE" permanent. Even after disabling voice prompts in the new app, that annoying prompt is still there and I have no idea how to get rid of it. 

I can imagine that the binding nonsense would make secondhand sales more of a pain if the owner forgets to unbind their wheel first. This just seems like a bad idea all around...

3 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

It seems like in order to implement the binding nonsense, they had to push a firmware upgrade that renders both the orange and green app useless for changing the speed. The green app will still connect, but I cannot for the life of me force the orange app to connect at all (this is on a 14D, after upgrading to the newest firmware 1.11). What's more, is it seems that they've made the "PLEASE DECELERATE" permanent. Even after disabling voice prompts in the new app, that annoying prompt is still there and I have no idea how to get rid of it. 

I can imagine that the binding nonsense would make secondhand sales more of a pain if the owner forgets to unbind their wheel first. This just seems like a bad idea all around...

after i have disabled the voice two years ago, i have never heard it since.. only beeps when you exceed max speed.. green app, orange and white app, blue app.. none of them have i had any problems with except for net error on the orange one when trying to change the speed in which case you just try a few more times until it does it.. but yea havent heard any voice since my first ks16s the day i got it

7 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

after i have disabled the voice two years ago, i have never heard it since.. only beeps when you exceed max speed.. green app, orange and white app, blue app.. none of them have i had any problems with except for net error on the orange one when trying to change the speed in which case you just try a few more times until it does it.. but yea havent heard any voice since my first ks16s the day i got it

Are you on the latest firmware? I don’t know what my issue could be, because I had my prompts off as well. It’s only after the update that the please decelerate became enabled/permanent. 

3 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Are you on the latest firmware? I don’t know what my issue could be, because I had my prompts off as well. It’s only after the update that the please decelerate became enabled/permanent. 

one on 1.07, one on 1.08 and new one on 1.09.. never an issue.. i have no idea why yours would do that.. perhaps try enabling then disabling again, or enabling then disabling from another app and see if that works?

Edited by Rywokast