Who sells the knobby MSX tire?

Is any vendor actively selling the knobby MSX tire? After 3,800 miles on my MSX my tire is getting close to needing replacement. I've seen the knobby tire in vids but haven't seen it for sale anywhere. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, who_the said:

Is any vendor actively selling the knobby MSX tire? After 3,800 miles on my MSX my tire is getting close to needing replacement. I've seen the knobby tire in vids but haven't seen it for sale anywhere. Any ideas?

@who_the other than sellers in Europe, this is the only suggestion I can find that may work for you over in the States: https://www.amazon.com/2-50-14-Off-Road-1983-84-2004-09-1997-03/dp/B01DCMQRX6

Below is some edited discussion I was able to track down from an earlier GotWay Facebook post I remembered that may be of some help!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

What you need is a 60/100-14 pit bike tire.  Be aware that not all of them will fit though, I bought one (Dunlop Geomax MX33) that had knobs on the side that were too wide.  Found another cheap off brand tire locally in that size that did fit though.

• Like 1

If you shop online, be extremely careful, since a 14 x 2.50 tire (bicycle standard) is totally different from 2.50-14 (motorcycle). I have not been able to get myself a 2.50-14 tire to Finland. I don’t want a full knobby, but an all-terrain type.

Now this was a fruitful day! Following a somewhat stressful ride on yesterday’s muddy and partially snowy grounds, I again decided to find my MSX a tire no matter what. I found an Ebay seller with an actual 18x3.0 tire (Chaoyang H-666), AND a local used knobby tire just like in the photos above. I’ll get the used tire tomorrow, and it should keep me upright atleast until the devilishly handsomely named Chaoyang arrives in about 6 weeks.

... That is, unless Mr Murphy reads this forum and twirls his magic wand once... no, TWICE again. Come on already!

46355FF7-900B-411F-BC4A-276218DB42FF.jpeg

FDAF583B-42B6-4E20-851B-6952AFEA00FF.jpeg

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Now this was a fruitful day! Following a somewhat stressful ride on yesterday’s muddy and partially snowy grounds, I again decided to find my MSX a tire no matter what. I found an Ebay seller with an actual 18x3.0 tire (Chaoyang H-666), AND a local used knobby tire just like in the photos above. I’ll get the used tire tomorrow, and it should keep me upright atleast until the devilishly handsomely named Chaoyang arrives in about 6 weeks.

... That is, unless Mr Murphy reads this forum and twirls his magic wand once... no, TWICE again. Come on already!

46355FF7-900B-411F-BC4A-276218DB42FF.jpeg

FDAF583B-42B6-4E20-851B-6952AFEA00FF.jpeg

Have you got a link to that tyre thanks, it looks well good mrelwood😊

16 minutes ago, stephen said:

Have you got a link to that tyre thanks, it looks well good mrelwood😊

Here you go. Note that the photo in the auction is not for the 18x3, the seller sent me a photo in a personal message.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F291795130242

• Upvote 1

An update to the above post. The first longer ride revealed two nasty issues with the tire:

1) The knobs are positioned in a peculiar way, so that the section touching the pavement is indeed very narrow. Then there is sort of an empty row before the knobs at the very edge. This makes it behave like it was a 2.0” tire. Travelling on pavement was notably more laborous, and my winter-shaped legs had a hard time riding. Fatigue hit fast.

D6C5436A-004E-4E1D-A493-71F3677D341C.thumb.jpeg.3c1632a82b7fb79a2dca9f036d6c8b9e.jpeg

2) Tilt-back! Yes, an actual tilt-back started slowly at above 30km/h, and at 35km/h I didn’t have the guts to push forward at an angle that steep. Even stranger, if I accelerated fast to above 40km/h, the tilt-back was gone! Slow down below 40 and it started to come up again. The MSX firmware must’ve been baffled at the vibration or the rolling resistance.

So, today I put the original tire back. Sooo much better! Much less fatigue, and no more pedal scraping since the thing now stays upright again, and no tilt-back! Now I hope the weather will be mostly dry before I receive the 18x3.0 H-666 in about a month.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I also heard that the Shinco 244 Series Rear/Front Tire - 2.75-14  Motorcycle tire works as well if you want a knobby tire that is multi-ply (4-ply for puncture resistance and anti deform at rotation) and is actually rated for 75/94/115 MPH speed rating.  But I hear it will use all 3.1" width of your fender clearance when new for the side knobs, but has a slightly more dense knob pattern.  This will probably feel more like a knobby 3 inch tire than your current one which is really only 2 inches usable of knobs. 

Shinco_SR244_2.75x14.jpg.70392bc1bc603cac84e7701b3fcc52dc.jpg

3 hours ago, GQS said:

Here's the pattern difference between the stock Chaoyang H-5102 and the aftermarket Chaoyang H-666 tread patterns.   

TB2.535h9tkpuFjy0FhXXXQzFXa_!!901938115.png.0af64f4715ef6265355c446c1cfead80.png

I think the H-5102 photo above is from a 2.5” tire, since the width of the smooth center section is notably wider on the MSX original 18x3.0”. And that may be the root cause for the slipperyness. I hope the H-666 won’t be the same.

2 hours ago, GQS said:

Shinco 244 Series Rear/Front Tire - 2.75-14  Motorcycle tire

That looks like it would indeed work very well for me. Although, I’d worry that the tilt-back issue would raise it’s head again. And not leaving any clearance doesn’t sound like a good idea.

Two weeks left for the H-666 to arrive, I’ll try it on before weighing other options.

Edited by mrelwood

I heard out of all the 18x3.0 options, that the H-666 is probably the best compromise.  The H-666 is supposed to have a smoother riding feel (even thought it is thicker harder rubber) and is more stable and easier to turn then the stock H-5102.  I did hear that the CST-1488 tire is also a nice soft tire that has the same feel as the old MsuperV3 but in 3.0 width, but is soft and susceptible to glass and thorns and such. 

Can't wait to hear about your experience with the H-666 18x3.0 tire.  I might get one myself from the ebay vendor if your experience is positive.

9 hours ago, GQS said:

The H-666 is supposed to have a smoother riding feel (even thought it is thicker harder rubber) and is more stable and easier to turn then the stock H-5102.

Nice to hear, both very wellcome features! Thanks!

9 hours ago, GQS said:

I did hear that the CST-1488 tire is also a nice soft tire

I couldn’t find a photo on a CST 1488. Do you have a link to a distributor or a photo?

9 hours ago, GQS said:

Can't wait to hear about your experience with the H-666 18x3.0 tire.

You will, sooner than expected! Turns out the tire is already in the country. I should have it installed in a week.

Ah, I know that one. Based on the link it is only available in 16x3.0”, although that was the standard Msuper 18x2.5” tire, and I have one in 16x2.5”. Should work well as a 18x3.0 as well, although I felt it offered a slightly narrower feel due to the pronounced center ridge. Great grip though.

I'm pretty certain they make that pattern in 18x3, but the website is probably not comprehensive as to the offerings.  The CST-C1488 is supposed to be a very soft rubber, i bet if feels good riding.  I worry about wear and puncture with it though. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
39 minutes ago, Giffy said:

curious about that IRC T10299 for my MSP

I rode it on MSP C38...

It's "too specialized"

Strengths:

• Wet grass
  • Crusty snow

Weaknesses:

• Horribly unstable straight-line tracking on pavement
  • Smaller chamber needs higher pressure, ride is stiff and harsh

Good for a laugh tho

ACtC-3dDi2G5aiM64Op_2HSI8ByReahxwne_XzU22SnpUEgG7jWWY5h4O_63lAnFD75Qfl0yHX5X2EJLKc0TCfBH2wJf5Qn4ynhkGGBZvxKucQrHUe0ru712e-2kXlYGHnn2N8StDTTHkDmpQZ1AR0rG5BhH5w=w478-h849-k-no 

ACtC-3dXRzZOyI5N2rBgcQHPWv_TnzzkKORz21o3

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I rode it on MSP C38...

It's "too specialized"

Strengths:

• Wet grass
  • Crusty snow

Weaknesses:

• Horribly unstable straight-line tracking on pavement
  • Smaller chamber needs higher pressure, ride is stiff and harsh

Good for a laugh tho

Thanks, That helps. People really seem to like the C-186. I'm leaning toward that one now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giffy said:

Thanks, That helps. People really seem to like the C-186. I'm leaning toward that one now. 

I think it’s the knobbiest tire that can be used just fine on roads as well.

I couldn't find the C-186 for sale anywhere so I went with the Shinko 244 instead. I also have the Sherman on the way so I guess I could always put the 244 on the Sherman and put the sherman wheel on the MSP.