I think I want to buy an euc but not convinced yet.

16 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

That’s not bad but you’re still broadcasting outwards.  I was thinking of the Bose Soundwear that is open air and rests on your shoulders.  Just not sure how it would work with my full helmet?  It would be great for the skate helmet but most miles for me are full gear. 

Because these things are silent I think broadcasting sound with speakers is a bonus as long as you don't have obnoxious bad music taste or it's not too loud.

I find that having a medium volume BT Speaker while riding it good because people who might be blocking the entire pathway will turn around and see that you might want to pass, so they politely move to one side. I think it's less obnoxious than having a silly bell or loud horn.

14 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

Because these things are silent I think broadcasting sound with speakers is a bonus as long as you don't have obnoxious bad music taste or it's not too loud.

I find that having a medium volume BT Speaker while riding it good because people who might be blocking the entire pathway will turn around and see that you might want to pass, so they politely move to one side. I think it's less obnoxious than having a silly bell or loud horn.

Exactly 

2 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

That’s not bad but you’re still broadcasting outwards.  I was thinking of the Bose Soundwear that is open air and rests on your shoulders.  Just not sure how it would work with my full helmet?  It would be great for the skate helmet but most miles for me are full gear. 

I don't ride with an external speaker too often, but when I do, I use a speaker designed for bicycles and attach it to my handle with Velcro straps. The speaker design broadcasts the sound straight up unlike most speakers which will send sound to the sides.

This is what have

http://amzn.to/2Dw7fbo

81YoCmYZTaL._SL1500_.jpg

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

You mean I've been doing it wrong all this time!?:facepalm:  I gawk at the scenery frequently and sometimes (not often) text too.  However, I do glance forward frequently to make sure the next 60 feet or so of my path is appropriate to ignore, but that part does not detract from the gawking or texting at all, it's not stressful, merely a confirmation that nothing is going to bite me unexpectedly.

You're just a much better multitasker than I am.  I guess I ride to help get away from texting and whatnot.  It's a break for me.  I have an apple watch with a programmed response that says something like, "I'm riding!  Leave me alone!" ;) 

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I'm inspired, with only minor trepidation I've ordered the inmotion v8 from ewheels. I know I'm heavy for it, but maybe it will help me loose weight and it's on sale right now with a free cover. I figure it will work as learner, I won't worry too much about scratches, and can upgrade to something bigger and faster later in the summer if I feel the need.

Thanks again,

YohannFrankferder the 3rd.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't ride with an external speaker too often, but when I do, I use a speaker designed for bicycles and attach it to my handle with Velcro straps. The speaker design broadcasts the sound straight up unlike most speakers which will send sound to the sides.

Nice review.  Hey we have the same iPod:).  But not the same taste in music:mellow:.  "What's New Pussycat?", Really!  We're the same age so I know that's not your teen years music; diaper years maybe. He's still going BTW, Tom Jones.  He's a UK  judge on  "The Voice" and occasionally he breaks into song.  Still a fantastic voice.  But who am I to judge; I listen to Leonard Cohen and his major hits predate us too.

1 hour ago, LZMutant said:

You're just a much better multitasker than I am.  I guess I ride to help get away from texting and whatnot.  It's a break for me.  I have an apple watch with a programmed response that says something like, "I'm riding!  Leave me alone!" ;) 

Nah.  I'm probably riding at half your speed and I rarely ride and text.  BTW I'm writing this post while riding. 

Just kidding.

"I'm riding!  Leave me alone!"  Nice one.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:54 AM, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

Let me be brutally honest. I'm 5'6",  225 lbs., I'm also 57 years old (you know the type, the barrel body that should have long hair, a long bead, and a trucker cap on, maybe missing some teeth ;-p). I have an electric recumbent but don't ride it because it is very hard on the knees when I need to pedal (and even though it's electric, you do need to pedal). I also have a sailboat and sail a lot in the summer so my balance is not too bad but when I say I sail, think more like captain Ron than the Americas cup. I enjoy activities that have some excitement but that can also be very relaxing for example, I downhill ski and can ski the double blacks but don't bother because it is just too much work, but love a long cross slope glide.

So much for the lead in; What I would really like to know is what are your impressions of ECU riding?

What does it feel like, is there anything else like it?

As others have said, it is a bit like (mono-)skiing, though not quite like going a double black.

Can it be a relaxing activity where your just quietly ghosting along?

Yes, it may take some time to acquire the skills to relax though. I personally don't find cruising for longer periods of time particularly enjoyable. Uneventful cruising is also when foot pain may kick in relatively quickly. Mileages vary and may well for long cross slope gliders.

If you're out for a relaxing ride, is is physically or mentally demanding?

Still both. You have to watch out for the road condition much more carefully than on a bicycle and bent knees are suspension and life savers. Much lesser so mentally and physically if you go on a flat road that you have gone many times under the same conditions, but IMHO it's not a good idea to get used to straight legs. If you keep the legs straight, chances of getting injured from falling are much higher (less physically demanding while riding, more on the injury recovery side).

Would headphones be a problem (not in traffic, on bike paths)?

Certainly not, I always wear headphones.

This is an interesting and good thread. I was going to ask if EUC riding is a good idea... I have watched and read about so many spills high speed and low speed that it's made me think wtf am I thinking!?

I saw EUCs a few years ago when I made the switch to my escooter (from a kick scooter). Back then I thought the idea of having your legs that close together and therefore being less planted to the ground was a recipe for disaster at the smallest of bumps.

The description of carving like a snowboarder but in a skiers stance is interesting to hear. I am (was/semi-retired) a snowboarder. I love the easy free nature of it and I do get that from a kickscooter on smooth asphalt. Partially perhaps because I used a snowboarder (albeit alpine) stance rather than feet together (I don't get why people ride like this - surely you want to distribute the weight). On an EUC just how planted do you feel?

I am really in two minds about doing this although I have just put a pre-order on one...

Another thing that might help OP and others to consider is leg/hip alignment. Does this have a bearing on learning? To illustrate; I am convinced I have one leg shorter than the other. In the mirror I can see my hip is not level. Snowboarding convinces me more in my ability (or rather lack of) to ride switch. Even with my bindings set at a duck stance which would help shift the weight to the front in switch (so my back leg in a regular riding position) I still cant get the weight fully over the front.

Given that balance of left and right is integral to riding an EUC has anyone got any experience or advice for becoming an EUC rider or not and or it's impact on EUC riding?

5 minutes ago, rinzler said:

On an EUC just how planted do you feel?

Very....until you are not

6 minutes ago, rinzler said:

Another thing that might help OP and others to consider is leg/hip alignment. Does this have a bearing on learning? To illustrate; I am convinced I have one leg shorter than the other. In the mirror I can see my hip is not level.

I DO have one leg shorter than the other (over 1/2 an inch), but amazingly they both reach all the way to the ground.  Maybe that's because I live on the side of a hill.:whistling:

I would love  to claim this as a reason I can't ride backwards, or easily on one leg, or idle, or do tricks, but the truth is I'm just too f..ing lazy to go outside and put in the practice.  The answer to your question is in the question ("my hip is not level") therefor the compensation has already occurred. You're cleared for takeoff.

My other leg crouches wonky. When I bend my knees, the other knee points forwards but the other 45 degrees inwards. It is bothersome only when my legs are very tired.

While it looks as if the regular riding stance was symmetrical, I’m sure most riders compensate for leg length, leg dominance, wind, slope, unbalanced wheel, turning, or some strange habit of posture. One foot slightly to the side or outwards and you can compensate for a lot of asymmetrical features. If you can stand on solid ground, your leg length difference wont’t prevent riding an EUC.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:54 AM, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

What I would really like to know is what are your impressions of ECU riding?

You know that feeling you get when you enter an elevator and press the button to go down ... feels like your balls got left behind ... that's what it feels like to ride an EUC. :whistling:

16 minutes ago, Nic said:

You know that feeling you get when you enter an elevator and press the button to go down ... feels like your balls got left behind ... that's what it feels like to ride an EUC. :whistling:

Hum. I must be riding wrong somehow. Better or worse? Not sure...

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Nice review.  Hey we have the same iPod:).  But not the same taste in music:mellow:.  "What's New Pussycat?", Really!  We're the same age so I know that's not your teen years music; diaper years maybe. He's still going BTW, Tom Jones.  He's a UK  judge on  "The Voice" and occasionally he breaks into song.  Still a fantastic voice.  But who am I to judge; I listen to Leonard Cohen and his major hits predate us too.

I love me some Tom Jones :D

I have an eclectic taste in music, but I do tend to favor vocal jazz nowadays.

12 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I had headphones on one time because i was enjoying music while riding but i didn’t like the fact that i couldn’t hear my surroundings so i left it.

Now i just take my Bluetooth Box on my backpack with velcro straps and it works absolutely perfect.

6EEC1A5E-E849-4D8C-AD20-111EC84C818E.thumb.jpeg.e67fe8a608a2d6093677e875dd7094fe.jpeg

12 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

See my thread here for my helmet speaker mod: 

might give you some ideas as to things you could do with your helmet.  Though my helmet is an open full face helmet, in a closed helmet, it might still be too isolating or prevent you from hearing surroundings.

6 hours ago, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I'm inspired, with only minor trepidation I've ordered the inmotion v8 from ewheels. I know I'm heavy for it, but maybe it will help me loose weight and it's on sale right now with a free cover. I figure it will work as learner, I won't worry too much about scratches, and can upgrade to something bigger and faster later in the summer if I feel the need.

Thanks again,

Well you may certainly take confidence in your selection of ewheels as your supplier.  Jason and staff will always take care of your needs.

V8 seems, from what I've read, to be a fine wheel - popular and good to learn on and beyond.  At first you won't be pushing the wheel to its capabilities - so simply enjoy learning - it's good to be a beginner at stuff!  And later you may find the V8 suits you just fine and you won't want another wheel; or at least not for awhile.   Enjoy it in good health.

And speaking of health...if this helps you to lose some weight so much the better!  That'll be a great way to go faster and further as your skills as a rider develop!  :)

13 hours ago, rinzler said:

Given that balance of left and right is integral to riding an EUC has anyone got any experience or advice for becoming an EUC rider or not and or it's impact on EUC riding?

Left right balancing is achieved by twisting the wheel. Whether or how symmetric one stands on the pedals is pretty irrelevant, witnessed by the fact that many of us can ride one-legged. It does help to have weight on both sides such that the wheel is more or less upright with little pressure from the wheel on the lower legs, but otherwise you can stand as you feel most comfortable or what you think is best for your body. I feel that trying to stay symmetric is good practice, but quite a few people opt for an asymmetric position on the EUC.

Dzlchef, try this headset. It gives you the option of listening through earbuds or speakers. To secure it, use a velcro, one end tie to headset, the other end to the hanging loop on your jacket or shirt, if there is one.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKWC3J2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of riders with symmetrical stances have a distinctive weave as they go down a street, because the camber of the road makes the wheel try to run downhill. They'll run down the road, gradually turning right (on a right drive country), then make a quick left turn to point the wheel back towards the center of the road, and so on.

That's why you also see a lot of riders slightly bend their left knee a bit more than their right knee. Eventually everyone figures out that having a perfectly symmetrical stances doesn't always mean you're riding a dead-straight line due to road camber.

On 4/13/2019 at 1:14 PM, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

Thanks again,

You’ll love the V8. I weigh 225 pounds and works fantastic with my weight.  It’s so fun to ride!  It too, is my first wheel.  The only thing I wish I had was a little more speed. I have almost 500 miles on it now and I’m considering buying an upgrade, which was my original plan from day one. I told myself that I’ll start with the less expensive V8 to test the waters and if I loved the hobby I’d upgrade in the future and have an extra wheel to teach friends and stuff.  

Archived