Jump to content
YohannFrankfurderIII

I think I want to buy an euc but not convinced yet.

Recommended Posts

Let me be brutally honest. I'm 5'6",  225 lbs., I'm also 57 years old (you know the type, the barrel body that should have long hair, a long bead, and a trucker cap on, maybe missing some teeth ;-p). I have an electric recumbent but don't ride it because it is very hard on the knees when I need to pedal (and even though it's electric, you do need to pedal). I also have a sailboat and sail a lot in the summer so my balance is not too bad but when I say I sail, think more like captain Ron than the Americas cup. I enjoy activities that have some excitement but that can also be very relaxing for example, I downhill ski and can ski the double blacks but don't bother because it is just too much work, but love a long cross slope glide.

So much for the lead in; What I would really like to know is what are your impressions of ECU riding?

What does it feel like, is there anything else like it?

Can it be a relaxing activity where your just quietly ghosting along?

If you're out for a relaxing ride, is is physically or mentally demanding?

Would headphones be a problem (not in traffic, on bike paths)?

Thanks,

YohannFrankder the 3rd.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone that can also ski the double blacks I'd say an EUC would be absolutely perfect for you. I have bad knees and it doesn't bother my knees at all after the 1st day. On the 1st day I had a have my feet angled out a little bit because my knees were weak. You'll be able to do ski turns with it.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

57? No worries. I think the average age for EUCs is probably late 40's to 50 my guess. 225 is fine, wheels like the 18" will generally be good for a 300-350lb rider, though let's be real, they aren't going far or fast at 300+lbs.

EUC is not like anything I have ever felt, but similar to the feel of catching a great wave, or maybe a slalom on skis, gliding, almost like flying, especially if you get some nice fresh paved road before they even paint the line - that is the gold standard for me, so smooth, feels like bliss.

EUC can be as challenging or relaxing as you like. I sometimes want speed and to push myself, but usually I ride nice and slow, very mindful of surroundings and enjoying the sensation and gently slalom. It does get demanding on your legs after a long ride, especially when you start. Many people, including me suffered a few weeks of really sore shins, knees and feet, but that quickly goes away and it never occurs for me now on any length ride, though you do like to rest now and then, as riding with tired legs can be dangerous IMO.

Headphone are a big NO for me, but I ride in the city, and I want full awareness of vehicles, bikes, people etc. If I go on an offroad, I can wear them, but anything around traffic or people I want my audio awareness.

I'd suggest if you do get a wheel, wear safety gear! Wrists, knees and obviously a helmet. I wear full face TSG because I don't want to smash my teeth out in the case of a fall. Nor do I need 8 weeks away from work with a broken wrist etc. I'm a risk-averse guy though, wouldn't ever ride w/o gear on.

EUC was an immediate "where have you been all my life!" the moment I got on and rode in control for a distance that first time, amazing, love it. Give yourself time & a safe place to learn the basics and you'll be amazed at how fast it clicks and you just go w/o thinking about it like a bike.

If you can afford one, I wholeheartedly say do it man! Plus, no more walking up the dock on your legs like a sucker!:D

 

Edited by Hatchet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome @YohannFrankfurderIII!

BTW, you fit the bread & butter EUC demo to a T (age, body type, extracurriculars) :lol:

 

43 minutes ago, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

So much for the lead in; What I would really like to know is what are your impressions of ECU riding?

What does it feel like, is there anything else like it?

I imagine EUC feels closest to something like riding very high rollerblades without the effort, and more speed.

When you get proficient enough, the carving on an EUC is uncannily like carving/slaloms on skis (I've been skiing for decades now).

 

43 minutes ago, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

Can it be a relaxing activity where your just quietly ghosting along?

If you're out for a relaxing ride, is is physically or mentally demanding?

Absolutely, once you get past the beginner phase (foot pain, etc.)

Once you're comfortable on EUC, the only thing demanding I'd say is being vigilant watching out for divots/potholes, especially if you're city riding

 

43 minutes ago, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

Would headphones be a problem (not in traffic, on bike paths)?

I always have an earphone in one ear, turned up just loud enough for enjoyment, but still able to hear my surroundings.

Also, FWIW many recent EUC's have separate bluetooth network speakers, albeit, this can put you into the public nuisance territory.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a ton of YouTube videos out there that should give you a feel for EUC riding. Given time, a relaxing ride is not physically or mentally demanding - I could read the newspaper if I wanted to. I wear headphones all the time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll the way i saw it was ,, well if i don't do it now i never will, I'm not getting any younger ,,, I'm 51

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So I personally think that stature might be rough to get started and learn an EUC, but as long as the wheel is spec'd to handle that weight I see no issue once you're up and running. The first learning phase can feel like you just ran a mile because you are learning to use muscles in new ways and you have to learn how to mount/dismount (calf and leg pressure) and you have to realize that turning is twisting/leaning more than traditional turning. You might also get a tiny bit of a sore back from just having to pick up the wheel if you drop it a few times learning. But after that first hour or day though it's no longer a workout and it becomes fun to learn, things start clicking and you get these amazing "EUREKA!" moments that fill you with unexplainable joy.

 

So much for the lead in; What I would really like to know is what are your impressions of ECU riding?

Probably the best purchase I've made in my life....okay well it's up there in the top 5 of all time. Definitely one of the best skills I've ever learned, up there with Piano, Guitar, driving a car, soldering, etc. And it's actually as useful as it is fun.

What does it feel like, is there anything else like it?

Like riding on your own personal roller coaster you control. Like skiing on a blade and gliding  on a magic carpet.

Can it be a relaxing activity where your just quietly ghosting along?


At low to mid speeds it's chill, at higher speeds as long as you know the terrain or it's really smooth it's zen-like. There is a great swell of freedom you get from riding and carving on an EUC.

If you're out for a relaxing ride, is is physically or mentally demanding?

It's only physically demanding if there is a really bumpy unpredictable terrain or road (i.e. off road). You might have to keep your knees slightly bent to absorb any small curbs or speed bumps. It's not really taxing but it's a good little bit of activity to keep you healthy.

Would headphones be a problem (not in traffic, on bike paths)?
I would highly suggest a small speaker instead, unless it's a really low traffic path. You should be ready to hear any important sounds from your EUC or people wanting to pass you.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stephen said:

We'll the way i saw it was ,, well if i don't do it now i never will, I'm not getting any younger ,,, I'm 51

This is pretty straight off my mind too!

If not now, then when?

The life is still going on, you don't know your tommorrows ...

I'm willing to try anything I like, to not feel sorry I didn't - if you know I mean :)

I'm 48 next year, what should I wait for :)

If you try it, and you don't like it, then you sell it, or anything else, but untill you try it, you won't ever know whether it's for you or not :)

Good luck :)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

Let me be brutally honest. I'm 5'6",  225 lbs., I'm also 57 years old (you know the type, the barrel body that should have long hair, a long bead, and a trucker cap on, maybe missing some teeth ;-p). I have an electric recumbent but don't ride it because it is very hard on the knees when I need to pedal (and even though it's electric, you do need to pedal). I also have a sailboat and sail a lot in the summer so my balance is not too bad but when I say I sail, think more like captain Ron than the Americas cup. I enjoy activities that have some excitement but that can also be very relaxing for example, I downhill ski and can ski the double blacks but don't bother because it is just too much work, but love a long cross slope glide.

So much for the lead in; What I would really like to know is what are your impressions of ECU riding?

What does it feel like, is there anything else like it?

Can it be a relaxing activity where your just quietly ghosting along?

If you're out for a relaxing ride, is is physically or mentally demanding?

Would headphones be a problem (not in traffic, on bike paths)?

Thanks,

YohannFrankder the 3rd.

you have an pedal assist recumbent?  you can get one that is just throttle controlled.  But even throttle controlled there are two flavors.  one is pedal first, need to get up to 5 mph before you can use the throttle.  options are out there to make your recumbent much easier to ride.

age isn't a barrier to learning.  if this 80+ year old lady can learn, so can you:

In the beginning of learning, you will use muscles that you have never used before and that can be discouraging. But with a few hours of total learning time, anyone who puts their mind to it can learn.  

Also you can ride as relaxed as you want shortly after you "click".  If you ride in bad streets or terrain, then you need to bend your knees and it will be hard on your knees.  If the pavement is smooth, you don't need to bend them and can just be almost locked out.  I used to ride like that and it is really relaxing, just if you hit a bump, it transmits to your teeth, the few you may have left.  :P

Most say it feel like flying.  Nothing like this as when you get good at it, you can move around objects without even thinking.  It will become a part of you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

What does it feel like, is there anything else like it?

Like a personal moving sidewalk; you stand still and the world glides serenely past

Can it be a relaxing activity where your just quietly ghosting along?

Yes, for mile after miles, if you want (based on riding surface, no ghosting along on "over-heat-hill")

If you're out for a relaxing ride, is is physically or mentally demanding?

No, not one bit. Once it clicks you don't think about riding, it just happens, and it's no stress on the body (maybe knees a bit if you keep them bent a little) again, surface dependant.

Would headphones be a problem (not in traffic, on bike paths)?

I ALWAYS ride with headphones (not in traffic) makes the whole experience that much more pleasurable. Plus you can use them as a selective exclusionary device.  e.g some undesirable toe rag tries to get your attention to ask or tell you something stupid...ignor them....you didn't hear them over your music, and vice versa when someone you are happy to engage with flags you down. Plus they do drown out all the "hey mista, you lost one of your wheels" type, stupid comments I imagine some people have to put up with.  I don't, because my music really does drown them out.

Be aware, in some jurisdictions headphones and motorized transport is illegal.  Do your due diligence.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I used to ride like that and it is really relaxing, just if you hit a bump, it transmits to your teeth, the few you may have left.  :P

I can vouch for that:facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

you have an pedal assist recumbent?  you can get one that is just throttle controlled.  But even throttle controlled there are two flavors.  one is pedal first, need to get up to 5 mph before you can use the throttle.  options are out there to make your recumbent much easier to ride.

age isn't a barrier to learning.  if this 80+ year old lady can learn, so can you:

In the beginning of learning, you will use muscles that you have never used before and that can be discouraging. But with a few hours of total learning time, anyone who puts their mind to it can learn.  

Also you can ride as relaxed as you want shortly after you "click".  If you ride in bad streets or terrain, then you need to bend your knees and it will be hard on your knees.  If the pavement is smooth, you don't need to bend them and can just be almost locked out.  I used to ride like that and it is really relaxing, just if you hit a bump, it transmits to your teeth, the few you may have left.  :P

Most say it feel like flying.  Nothing like this as when you get good at it, you can move around objects without even thinking.  It will become a part of you.

I love how smooth her pedal mounts are. All you pedal hoppers out there, take note :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, YohannFrankfurderIII said:

If you're out for a relaxing ride, is is physically or mentally demanding?

There is no mentally relaxing ride in EUC world, at least not from my experience.  I have paths I've ridden 100's of times, know every nook and cranny and yet everyday the danger is real.  A simple stick or rock in your path will put you in the hospital if you start relaxing and stop watching where you are going like a hawk...  I only say this because I have a Rad Rover(fat tire ebike) and I truly can ride it and not care about anything in front of me(sticks, or rocks and its much easier to go much faster on unknown paths).  The feeling of riding an euc carefree is second to none, but the more carefree you are the more in danger you are, its just a fact of the physics involved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love skiing and grew up in Colorado where I had a chance to ski & snowboard often, working for a resort for a year.   It is the most amazing feeling carving down  a slope, taking turns and ripping up the snow.  I now have that same feeling on my EUC.   Yes, it's amazing to glide effortlessly down the trail, but it's exhilarating to carve up concrete!   It's like a skier stance but there is only 1 blade between your feet so it carves like a snowboard.   Unique and amazing!   Learning to ride my EUC feels like a great life accomplishment, and I feel even better as my skills improve. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

everything is a downhill

I think that's a great EUC motto.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smoother said:

I think that's a great EUC motto.

Or should it be ”As soon as you buy an EUC, everything goes downhill”? :facepalm:

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does it feel like, is there anything else like it?

Once you get the hang of it the wheel will feel like a part of your body and you'll have the sensation of floating over smooth surfaces.  On rougher surfaces or trails, you'll feel a crunchier and more difficult ride - but you'll also feel very engaged with the wheel as an extension of yourself...

It has similarities to longboard surfing (both feet pointed forward) and skiing, IMO.

Can it be a relaxing activity where you're just quietly ghosting along?

Relaxing, yes; but only in terms of narrowing your focus.  Concentration and focus are two different things...I'm talking about tuning everything out except the factors that are conducive to safe and enjoyable riding.  But it's not an activity where you can space out and gawk at the scenery while texting...

If you're out for a relaxing ride, is is physically or mentally demanding?

Yes, because physically and mentally demanding things are relaxing to me.

My experience is informed by a long background in a rather extreme sport/discipline.  Riding is what you make of it.  I suppose one *could* simply mount their wheel, lean forward, "not fall" for 15 minutes and call that a relaxing ride; but that wouldn't be satisfying to me.  I try to push and make the activity very physical.  It's a great core workout and terrific for lower body strength.  

There is a "zen" to riding that is amazing - but to get there you need to be able to focus and concentrate.  You need to remain vigilant while at the same time letting go of tension and learning how to live with and enjoy the danger.  

Seeking physical and mental balance (and you need both to ride well) is an undertaking worth doing in life as well as on the wheel.  

It's a hell of a lot of fun and the sensation of riding is wonderful.

Would headphones be a problem (not in traffic, on bike paths)?

As a beginner I would suggest you eschew headphones.  You'll want to listen carefully to the wheel whir on the path and get to know the sounds of other riders (bike, skateboard, walkers on their cell phones, scooters...etc.) coming up behind you.  Once you're tuned in and riding comfortably I don't think headphones would be a problem because you'll be sensitized to the noises around you and will be able to filter them through the music or audiobook.

Hope this helps!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LZMutant said:

 But it's not an activity where you can space out and gawk at the scenery while texting...

You mean I've been doing it wrong all this time!?:facepalm:  I gawk at the scenery frequently and sometimes (not often) text too.  However, I do glance forward frequently to make sure the next 60 feet or so of my path is appropriate to ignore, but that part does not detract from the gawking or texting at all, it's not stressful, merely a confirmation that nothing is going to bite me unexpectedly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, LZMutant said:

Would headphones be a problem (not in traffic, on bike paths)?

As a beginner I would suggest you eschew headphones.  You'll want to listen carefully to the wheel whir on the path and get to know the sounds of other riders (bike, skateboard, walkers on their cell phones, scooters...etc.) coming up behind you.  Once you're tuned in and riding comfortably I don't think headphones would be a problem because you'll be sensitized to the noises around you and will be able to filter them through the music or audiobook.

That's a good point, learn the sensations of your wheel and wheeling before shutting your ears off to it.  Also, when wearing headphones, your other senses become more important.  Feeling the wheel and the surface under the tyre (part of one of my rides suddenly goes from black top to fine gravel (beside a river) for about 300 feet. I can't hear the gravel over my music but I can feel it, just. Calve a fast turn on this and watch your wheel slide away, possibly into the drink.  And your sight is important for things approaching from behind, so make no sudden movements or direction changes without knowing what is happening behind you.

Edited by Smoother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LZMutant said:

Would headphones be a problem (not in traffic, on bike paths)?

I had headphones on one time because i was enjoying music while riding but i didn’t like the fact that i couldn’t hear my surroundings so i left it.

Now i just take my Bluetooth Box on my backpack with velcro straps and it works absolutely perfect.

6EEC1A5E-E849-4D8C-AD20-111EC84C818E.thumb.jpeg.e67fe8a608a2d6093677e875dd7094fe.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I had headphones on one time because i was enjoying music while riding but i didn’t like the fact that i couldn’t hear my surroundings so i left it.

Now i just take my Bluetooth Box on my backpack with velcro straps and it works absolutely perfect.

6EEC1A5E-E849-4D8C-AD20-111EC84C818E.thumb.jpeg.e67fe8a608a2d6093677e875dd7094fe.jpeg

That’s not bad but you’re still broadcasting outwards.  I was thinking of the Bose Soundwear that is open air and rests on your shoulders.  Just not sure how it would work with my full helmet?  It would be great for the skate helmet but most miles for me are full gear. 

Edited by Dzlchef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...