First wheel

DanH

Hi,

I’ve been following the forum for awhile now and thinking of getting a KS 16s as my first wheel. Currently ewheel lists it for $1350.00 while freemotionshop has it for  $1200.00 (white).  Is there any difference between the wheels? Should I stick with ewheel ?

Pretty much everyone on this forum uses eWheels as far as I can tell. I have ordered 2 wheels from them now and it's always been a pleasure. That said, it's not my bank account!

I'm likely to be selling a slightly beat up (but still 100% working) 16S in a couple of weeks when my XL arrives if you'd prefer to wait and pay a lower price ;)

• Upvote 1

I have also bought wheels from Freemotion and from Ewheels.I purchased 2 wheels from Freemotion and have had excellent customer Service from this company. The difference in my opinion is that the Ewheels crew go way above and beyond what would be a normal online purchase. Providing a ton of additional useful information in how to ride, and I think he throws in a set of wrist guards with all his wheels sold,  A very nice bonus.

I am literally in the same boat as you. This is where I am so far.

Ewheels adds the larger pedals included where as Free motion has the smaller stock ones.

NEW: our 16S fitted with the XL pedals ($99 value), improved magnesium alloy handles & the lift-to-disengage sensor 

The other thing which I am trying to figure out is the "lift-to-disengage sensor"

I found someone selling a used one they bought from Free motion in January and I asked if they had the lift-to-disengage sensor.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-ebike/city-of-toronto/electric-unicycle/1427165466?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

He wrote me back saying his 16s doesn't have that feature so i'm not sure what that's about but if it was purchased in January maybe they are selling an older version for cheaper?

If anyone knows, feel free to let me know.

I will probably get from ewheels... They have such a trusted reputation in this community and just today I have gone back and forth twice via email with Jason at Ewheels on a Sunday.
With this being such a big purchase, I am trying to reduce the risk as much as possible.

Neil

• Like 1

I decided to buy from freemotionshop since it’s 200.00 cheaper. The wheel arrived today and I tried hopping on it for the first time (no experience with skateboard, skate, or ski at all) while holding on to my washer and dryer.  I have to say, it’s freak’n scary. I’m still waiting for my gears to arrive before attempting to go out in an open space. 

45 minutes ago, DanH said:

I decided to buy from freemotionshop since it’s 200.00 cheaper. The wheel arrived today and I tried hopping on it for the first time (no experience with skateboard, skate, or ski at all) while holding on to my washer and dryer.  I have to say, it’s freak’n scary. I’m still waiting for my gears to arrive before attempting to go out in an open space. 

lol it can’t be scary! This isn’t a hover board that will go at full speeed and buck you off. You’ll never go fast unless you can control it first. The most that can happen in the learning stages is you step off because you lost your balance. I never fell nor had anyone I’ve trained during the learning stages, just a ton of easy step offs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

lol it can’t be scary! This isn’t a hover board that will go at full speeed and buck you off. You’ll never go fast unless you can control it first. The most that can happen in the learning stages is you step off because you lost your balance. I never fell nor had anyone I’ve trained during the learning stages, just a ton of easy step offs. 

You’re right. It’s just my first time standing on a rolling device. ☹️

I’ll try again tomorrow once I have covered/taped up the wheel. 

4 hours ago, djdriftking said:

If I'm looking to buy a used wheel eventually, what kind of things should I be asking in regards to questions to know about the history of the wheel? Also, what is the average lifespan of a wheel? 

Luckily, wheels are very simple machines. If a wheel works (#1) and isn't obviously mechanically very damaged/abused (broken shell, bent motor rim, stuff like that) (#2), then the only thing that could go wrong is a neglected/abused battery. That would happen if the battery sat at very empty or very full for a long time or was treated horribly in some other way (very unlikely). So if it's an older model that might have sat unused for a while, ask if the battery was treated well, and if there ever were problems with the wheel in general (#3).

It can never hurt to ask a few questions about how the wheel was used etc., simply to get an idea of the former owner, but in the end if the battery is good, that's the only thing you can't immediately check for yourself.

That's about it. If these three points are fine, you're good. If not, walk away. Easy:)

Wheels have very long lifespans, as measured in total distance ridden. I'd say anything below 3000-5000km is good as new (except maybe cosmetics), and 10000 km is still perfectly good. You'll want a new wheel long before an old one stops working or is "too old" (but always trust your gut).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DanH said:

I remember the feeling when I first got on one.  It is scary as shit and it feels like it is impossible to learn.  But your mind is an incredible learning machine.  If you stay with it for 4-6 30 minute sessions, you will probably get it. My suggestion is to try to hold on to a fence and then push off the get some momentum.  Just like a bike it is incredibly hard and really an advanced skill for later to go slow.  You really need some momentum go balance.  A little faster than walking is the speed you should aim for.  You will wave your hands and fall off, get back in and try again.  You will be using muscles that you have never used before and reconfiguring your brain to learn.  You will sweat like crazy.  But in about a few hours of trying, it will “click” and that feeling is amazing!  

Good luck and remember to not make the mistake of trying to go super slow.  It will take a much longer time to learn if you do that and it will be really frustrating.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DanH said:

Curious about the one from freemotion. Does it have the lift sensor, battery size, are the side pads plain or do they have the ks logo on them? Good to know in our boat. I’ll take Picts of mine when I get it this week from ewheels. 

17 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I remember the feeling when I first got on one.  It is scary as shit and it feels like it is impossible to learn.  But your mind is an incredible learning machine.  If you stay with it for 4-6 30 minute sessions, you will probably get it. My suggestion is to try to hold on to a fence and then push off the get some momentum.  Just like a bike it is incredibly hard and really an advanced skill for later to go slow.  You really need some momentum go balance.  A little faster than walking is the speed you should aim for.  You will wave your hands and fall off, get back in and try again.  You will be using muscles that you have never used before and reconfiguring your brain to learn.  You will sweat like crazy.  But in about a few hours of trying, it will “click” and that feeling is amazing!  

Good luck and remember to not make the mistake of trying to go super slow.  It will take a much longer time to learn if you do that and it will be really frustrating.  

Thanks Eddie! Saw a few of your YouTube videos several months back and loved how you glided through air. After reading and watching a few accidents, I thought it was dangerous and bought a scooter instead, but it got boring quickly.  Finally, I pulled the trigger last week. Wife and kid think I’m crazy and my mid life crisis is kicking in. 😀

Anyway back to my progress - 

Spent about 30 mins on it and was sweating like crazy under the CA hot weather. Able to move back and forth while holding the wall. Attempted to move to an empty space, but could only last for about a meter.  Will try again tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, me_neil said:

Curious about the one from freemotion. Does it have the lift sensor, battery size, are the side pads plain or do they have the ks logo on them? Good to know in our boat. I’ll take Picts of mine when I get it this week from ewheels. 

I’m assuming that you’re referring to lifting the wheel while it’s on and it doesn’t accelerate. My wheel was spinning when it was lifted.  Side pads were plain. As for the battery size, it’s 480wh. I weighed it as well; it’s about 39 lbs. 

19 hours ago, DanH said:

Thanks Eddie! Saw a few of your YouTube videos several months back and loved how you glided through air. After reading and watching a few accidents, I thought it was dangerous and bought a scooter instead, but it got boring quickly.  Finally, I pulled the trigger last week. Wife and kid think I’m crazy and my mid life crisis is kicking in. 😀

Anyway back to my progress - 

Spent about 30 mins on it and was sweating like crazy under the CA hot weather. Able to move back and forth while holding the wall. Attempted to move to an empty space, but could only last for about a meter.  Will try again tomorrow. 

Remember your brain needs data to figure out the balance.  It is the time under tension.  So the more time you spend on the wheel trying to balance, the quicker your brain will figure it out.  I would suggest using the wall to get on the EUC then push and lean so you get a few seconds on it.  Do something, while you are on it.  Wave your hands.  Twist or contort your body.  Don’t worry about feeling or looking silly.   This will all hep you get it.  Good luck!  You will love it once you get it.  I remember screaming when it clicked because it was three years after I first bought my first EUC.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, DanH said:

I’m assuming that you’re referring to lifting the wheel while it’s on and it doesn’t accelerate. My wheel was spinning when it was lifted.  Side pads were plain. As for the battery size, it’s 480wh. I weighed it as well; it’s about 39 lbs. 

The 16S battery options are 680Wh and 840Wh. Perhaps you meant 840Wh?

Congrats on the great wheel! And really, you need some speed to stay on the darn thing. Scary stuff, but you can always just hop off if you fail to steer..!!

For me this video on steering techniques was the key for a lot faster learning:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And another tip for doing the last type of turn (an in-place turn as I call it) you need to do a mini jump or lighten your weight on the EUC (crouch a bit then extend your legs quickly). The allows much less friction and a faster more repeatable turn in-place.

It's the same concept as a revert or a power-slide on a skateboard, you need to lighten your weight on what you are riding to nullify the friction on the wheel(s), this also prevents flat spots from forming.

Using this technique 90s are super simple, 180s are easy, and you can even do 270s and 360s in place once you get confident enough.

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2019 at 1:42 AM, DanH said:

So I just got my wheel yesterday. Spent 2 hours working on it.... I am so very very sore.. :)

Couple of things I noticed... From eWheels I can confirm it comes with the shutoff when you pickup from the handle. (though I find it's easy for it to get confused and ignore it)

Second thing I noticed, I went into the app and put it into learner mode.. By default it is in experient which I assume is bad English for experienced. It did actually help me quite a bit. I can see in the future putting into a more aggressive mode but if you're like me and just starting off give it a try.

Last is a question.. I get that the kingsong app sucks... It does.. But how do you change the light settings on the sides..

I cant find it anywhere? It would be nice to reduce the disco ball effects

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, me_neil said:

Second thing I noticed, I went into the app and put it into learner mode.. By default it is in experient which I assume is bad English for experienced. It did actually help me quite a bit. I can see in the future putting into a more aggressive mode but if you're like me and just starting off give it a try.

Learner and experienced mode is just soft and hard mode. It changes the wheel behaviour - in soft mode the pedals are more "sluggish". I never liked soft mode - but that is just a personal preference. Here most/all did not find any reason why one of this modes could be better for beginners or experienced riders - you should just try the modes and use the one you like best.

Hard mode shall use a bit more batteries - don't know if this is true, a rumour or significant. Never really followed this, but it "sounds comprehensible" - the wheel needs more/stronger accelerations/decelerations to keep the pedals "rock solid" straight.

The soft mode shall be easier for climbing inclines - its easier to get and keep the pedals tilted forward to get the wheel accelerating...

But, as said i ride only in hard mode, did not experiment or think about it too much and not just followed the duscussions here a bit. Hope i still managed a nice summary :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2