Collision with a cyclist

To be fair young men everywhere are bad news, which is why the Ancients invented marriage for them as a way of turning them into good news. However, culling them has been and always will be the most used way of lowering their numbers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_School_for_Boys

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-47912145

To be fair, that's just one school that had a mere 100-300 killed kids over its 100 year period; the US policy of eugenics had thousands of orphan boys killed each year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics_in_the_United_States

The most commonly suggested method of euthanasia was to set up local gas chambers.[7] However, many in the eugenics movement did not believe that Americans were ready to implement a large-scale euthanasia program, so many doctors had to find clever ways of subtly implementing eugenic euthanasia in various medical institutions.[7] For example, a mental institution in Lincoln, Illinois fed its incoming patients milk infected with tuberculosis (reasoning that genetically fit individuals would be resistant), resulting in 30–40% annual death rates.[7] Other doctors practiced euthanasia through various forms of lethal neglect.[7]

Of course, today we have the altogether more civilized way of euthanasia by abortion, which Freakonomics theorized was majority responsible for the drop in crime among black urban young men, with jail time initially reducing crime but then increasing it as released felons can't find work.

If you're a country with these kinds of problems, like say Cuba in the 1970's, then the best action is to simply send your aggressive young men overseas, such as the Sea People and, perhaps in modern times, to Germany and other Sanctuary Entities that welcome such men for their cultural and economic enrichment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

It's still a fantastic place to visit, just don't hang out in @stephenbadger local park.;)

You WILL have to wriggle your way in first ...NZ Immigration reject & return on the next flight out (at your expense) any unwary visitor that admits to doing any illegal activities back home, on the assumption you will do it again in NZ ...and a smiling Border Officer :D WILL ask.

Successive NZ governments have always been enamoured with creating wishful myths (since 1840) & are still in love with politically correct "social experiments" ...BUT not so enamoured with admitting failure ...tourists often end-up getting eaten for breakfast here ...you want to feel "safe" go to Australia, if they'll have you, the're picky these days too :D and are busy doing some weeding-out :eff01bbbfc::eff01bbbfc::eff01bbbfc::eff01bbbfc: in their own garden.

38 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Canibalsim too! What a mad country.

Its spelt "cannibalism" NZ & the Fiji Islands were BOTH commonly referred to as the Cannibal Isles in the 18th, 19th century ...the surviving natives picked-up all the bones & skulls littering the NZ bush in the early 1900s ...the mass murders & feasts did not stop until 1879 in NZ ...up until then it was considered good manners to send runners with 4 gallon kerosene tin's full of cooked human flesh topped-up with the fat to one's friends & neighbours ...some would argue nothing has changed, other than eating the victims being very reluctantly discontinued ...of course this recorded history is now "banned"

Commonwealth Law ?? the english imported their "english legal system" from England into all of their colonies ...to carry a weapon in NZ a member of the public MUST be able to demonstrate a "lawful" purpose ...it's very helpful to "carry" a BALL with a bat or a medical disability certificate with a walking-stick ...carrying items for self-defense is illegal or not lawful ...if you dispute being harassed by a pooolice officer, you can demand "by what authority"

9 hours ago, stephenbadger said:

Its spelt "cannibalism" NZ & the Fiji Islands were BOTH commonly referred to as the Cannibal Isles in the 18th, 19th century ...the surviving natives picked-up all the bones & skulls littering the NZ bush in the early 1900s ...the mass murders & feasts did not stop until 1879 in NZ ...up until then it was considered good manners to send runners with 4 gallon kerosene tin's full of cooked human flesh topped-up with the fat to one's friends & neighbours ...some would argue nothing has changed, other than eating the victims being very reluctantly discontinued ...of course this recorded history is now "banned"

Commonwealth Law ?? the english imported their "english legal system" from England into all of their colonies ...to carry a weapon in NZ a member of the public MUST be able to demonstrate a "lawful" purpose ...it's very helpful to "carry" a BALL with a bat or a medical disability certificate with a walking-stick ...carrying items for self-defense is illegal or not lawful ...if you dispute being harassed by a pooolice officer, you can demand "by what authority"

Thanks for the spelling correction.  I'll be having a word with my spel chacker. :) Thanks also for the nostalgic trip down memory lane, but you never explained what 

10 hours ago, Smoother said:

tourists often end-up getting eaten for breakfast here

meant.  Which was why I brought it up. If I visit NZ I want to know how not to end up on the breakfast menu.

2 hours ago, Joker10 said:

Those are nice, and from experience they provide a deterring shock, like touching a spark plug.  

:shock2: mmm, well, u got me considering buying a pig zapper from a local farm supplies ...but l don't think animal prodders are stun-guns ...it's a toss-up whether protectyourselfproducts.com is on the NZ Customs watchlist ...they confiscate these self-protection items regularly from the mail ...zapping a savage will just make it froth at the mouth & send it into a rage, ggrrr

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

Thanks for the spelling correction.  I'll be having a word with my spel chacker. :) Thanks also for the nostalgic trip down memory lane, but you never explained what 

meant.  Which was why I brought it up. If I visit NZ I want to know how not to end up on the breakfast menu.

We have our own brand of predators here ...tourists/immigrants getting scammed, robbed, raped, beaten & murdered is a regular occurance ...a few weeks ago a young english female uni grad on the last leg of her OE (she made it through sth america) was kidnapped, raped & murdered ...a japanese girl on the last month of her working holiday booked-in at a Auckland backpackers, then wound-up naked/dead in a downtown cleaners closet ...a chinese granny was brutally murdered in her home by a teenage savage looking for money ...we have one of the highest prison population per capita on the planet.

l saw 2 pretty  japanese girls, in the evening, riding a tandem bike, towing a trailer riding through my local park in the rain, on their way to god knows where, probably looking for somewhere to set-up a tent ...and my heart sank, cos they were throwing the dice & gambling with getting a beating, raped, robbed & murdered ...our government has just set-up another in an endless succession of politically correct university study groups to find the causes/answers to why violent offending/infant/child murders is a way of life in NZ ...of course the answers are obvious, custom, culture & genetics, but nobody has the balls to admit it out loud nowadays ...a long time ago it was freely admitted as "what of it, it is our custom"

These days l've noticed that young italian & french tourists on their OE visiting my side of this city West Auckland travel together in groups ...l suggest you & anyone else visiting this country or anywhere else for that matter do the same & don't trust strangers from any of the races you meet in our streets ...and drive on the left here, we get tourists in fatal head-on car smashes as a regular event.

12 hours ago, stephenbadger said:

These days l've noticed that young italian & french tourists on their OE visiting my side of this city West Auckland travel together in groups ...l suggest you & anyone else visiting this country or anywhere else for that matter do the same & don't trust strangers from any of the races you meet in our streets ...and drive on the left here, we get tourists in fatal head-on car smashes as a regular event.

I looked up Crime in NZ just doesn't seem very high at all, is declining, and is heavily concentrated among the Maori population.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_Zealand

However, NZ ranked 2nd on school bullying, and that is worrisome because it's a "pass it forward" trait.

I actually wonder if the Temperance Movement was absolutely correct, because alcohol is so intricately linked to bad behavior, both here and NZ. I actually would very much support banning alcohol everywhere, drive it underground so people don't get blasted drunk but instead sneak some on the down low. But he'll, we cannot even make powerful opiate derivatives illegal...

Anyway, the safest way to visit NZ is don't rent a car if you're from a right-hand drive country, since the death rate from automobile crashes is greater than the murder rate.

• Like 1

Here ya go @Joker10 from Langhams linked wiki post:

"New Zealanders' perceptions of safety differ to the way the country is perceived internationally. In 2010 and 2011, New Zealand topped the Global Peace Index issued by the Institute for Economics and Peace – out of 149 countries.[21] The index is based on 23 indicators including corruption, violence, crime rates, military spending and access to primary education. According to the 2009 Corruption Perceptions Index by Transparency International, New Zealand is the least corrupt nation in the world.[22]"

Unfortunately that's such a mishmash of factors, that it almost becomes meaningless

I'm not sure I'd be safer in a country whose high ranking was mostly based on their military spending and primary education.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 10:23 AM, Smoother said:

Unfortunately that's such a mishmash of factors, that it almost becomes meaningless

I'm not sure I'd be safer in a country whose high ranking was mostly based on their military spending and primary education.

I have read similar reports about US states. They said that some states were safer than others simply because they had fewer gun owners and tougher gun laws. They completely glossed over the actual reported crime numbers. In other words their opinion  said a state should be safer even though the actual numbers said it was the most dangerous. :blink1: 

Never let facts get in the way of your opinions. :facepalm:

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

They said that some states were safer than others simply because they had fewer gun owners and tougher gun laws. 

Ascertaining safety in an area should be very straightforward because we can observe it.

Simply tally up the number of people in a zip code with number of people in a zip code that end up in the hospital and/or morgue.

Then, remove age-related injuries.

Now, since most injuries and deaths are caused by automobiles, you may choose to keep or eliminate those, because getting killed by driver or knife or gun is just as dead, but the intent might differ.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Ascertaining safety in an area should be very straightforward because we can observe it.

Simply tally up the number of people in a zip code with number of people in a zip code that end up in the hospital and/or morgue.

Then, remove age-related injuries.

Now, since most injuries and deaths are caused by automobiles, you may choose to keep or eliminate those, because getting killed by driver or knife or gun is just as dead, but the intent might differ.

Almost. I like the math. 

what if the people in my town like to surf on sharks. I enjoy watching other people shark surf but I will never participate. The numbers say I am in danger off death by shark even though I am not. 

Choice is a large factor in anyone’s safety. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Choice is a large factor in anyone’s safety. 

There's a concept called "the three rules of stupid." 

--Stupid people.

--Stupid places.

--Stupid times.

You can usually get away with 1 of 3, probably 2 of 3, but often not 3 of 3.

For example, if you're at a gas station (stupid place) at 2 am (stupid time) with anyone at all (stupid people), then something is going to go down.

If you're on the Metro (public transportation) during work hours, then we're looking at 1 or 2 rules of stupid...a big reason Uber and Lyft are popular is that public transportation devolves into moving homeless human garbage (bums) from condemned areas to downtown.

A safer area is where getting away with 3 of 3 is no different than 0, 1, or 2 of 3. And there's lots of areas like that...college campuses and gated suburbs in expensive zip codes. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 9:13 AM, Dzlchef said:

I found the perfect item for your neighborhood.  It's a flashlight and stun gun all in one.  

20190414_095622.jpg

Hi, surprise, surprise, a new neighbour l met with his boy & dog in the park last monday night has got one of these products ...l will give it some thought ...the PC brigade won't be too keen on a scarey "weapon" but at least nobody gets killed and that is a very big plus ...thank-you for your contribution to the discussion.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:09 AM, Smoother said:

@stephenbadger thanks for clearing that up.  I remember the university grad, very sad.  What is the "OE" you refer to?  I can't think what it stands for

haha! well, from this end of the planet we refer to teenagers&young people taking time-out from their studies or after graduation, doing some globetrotting as their "OE" ...overseas europe

It didn't occur to me that you lot on the other end wouldn't be familiar with the term.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 2:23 AM, Smoother said:

Here ya go @Joker10 from Langhams linked wiki post:

"New Zealanders' perceptions of safety differ to the way the country is perceived internationally. In 2010 and 2011, New Zealand topped the Global Peace Index issued by the Institute for Economics and Peace – out of 149 countries.[21] The index is based on 23 indicators including corruption, violence, crime rates, military spending and access to primary education. According to the 2009 Corruption Perceptions Index by Transparency International, New Zealand is the least corrupt nation in the world.[22]"

l feel sorry for the rest of you, if NZ is the least corrupt nation in the world ...underneath the surface NEW Zealand is as CORRUPT as anywhere else in the western world ...the NZ Police enforce government policies & ignore "law&order" whenever it suits them ...for example, if tree-huggers chain themselves to a majestic beautiful old tree, the NZ Police simply order "WorkSafe" not to attend ...and give the go-ahead for the scumbags with the chainsaws to dismantle/dismember the 3 & 4 story trees on top of the protesters heads ...part of the vigorous central government ordered campaign to make space to house another million rich immigrants inside the Auckland Super City.

All the major government & business institutions are as corrupt as hell ...why anyone here would think they aren't corrupt is just effective government propaganda ...it's on the TV all the time, people are such sheep ...we've got a LOT of sheep here.

The reality ...when no TV cameras are around, is as brutal & bloody as it can get ...a lot of violence, intimidation & property damage, ggrrr 

- stupid people-stupid places-stupid times doctrine gets trotted-out to me regularly, along with no stun-guns & no hurty hurty the little thug that finds an "old man" alone in the park late in the evening and instantly decides to attack him ...and yes, bullying is very popular here, l am the wrong person to try & bully ...and l always reply that people should be safe day & NIGHT in our park ...not just during the day when hundreds of old people, groups, kids etc are exercising & playing cricket, netball in "packs" for safety.

got to run, my new Dualtron 3 has arrived in in the country ...oh joy, hehehe!

On 4/16/2019 at 2:04 AM, LanghamP said:

I looked up Crime in NZ just doesn't seem very high at all, is declining, and is heavily concentrated among the Maori population.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_Zealand

However, NZ ranked 2nd on school bullying, and that is worrisome because it's a "pass it forward" trait.

I actually wonder if the Temperance Movement was absolutely correct, because alcohol is so intricately linked to bad behavior, both here and NZ. I actually would very much support banning alcohol everywhere, drive it underground so people don't get blasted drunk but instead sneak some on the down low. But he'll, we cannot even make powerful opiate derivatives illegal...

Anyway, the safest way to visit NZ is don't rent a car if you're from a right-hand drive country, since the death rate from automobile crashes is greater than the murder rate.

Interesting ...l will read the whole thing when l have time ...l see it was last edited 18 days ago ...the NZ Government just announced the maori in prison numbers have worsened ...if l tried to suggest somewhere nice & safe to live it would be a struggle to find one ...we humans like city life & alcohol.

mmm, l actually write & contribute to subjects relating to corrupt or repressive activities on Wikipedia ...at first glance the writers seem competent enough.

Edited by stephenbadger
2 cents worth

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 11:58 PM, LanghamP said:

"We just collided and neither of us fell down. You must be a real pussy if this bothers you.

How does it feel being a pussy?"

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2019/06/25/its-been-a-bad-week-for-hit-and-run-violence-against-bike-and-scooter-riders/

This doesn't surprise me in the least, because there's two specific types of riders...the angry bike messenger and the fat middle-aged Spandex roadracer...who is wildly hostile towards anything that's <not a mechanical bicycle>.

Note that the bicyclist purposefully rammed the eScooter.

And last Thursday saw a horrific scooter/bike crash, in which the scooter rider fled the scene. Sadly, also last week there was a case of a bicyclist intentionally pushing a scooter rider to the ground, causing multiple injuries, and then taking off.

I would absolutely consider eScooters and EUC/OW/eSkateboards to be vulnerable users in relationship to bicyclists, because the bicyclist can handle a collision so much better. And, anecdotally, I've noticed a dramatic increase of aggression by certain bicyclists towards, well, everything, <not a mechanical bicycle>.

You would think bicyclists would band together with everything that's also not a car, but noooo...

I'm unsure as to what would make these bicyclists behave better, because the answer to the question, "or else" is absolutely nothing. Whenever you try to tell someone to modify their behavior, their invariable response is, "or else?" has to be something that gives them pause.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kens said:

Think of it like this: They spend their time and money for their bikes and cycling gears and start climbing the bike's elitist ladder just to keep up with their Joneses . Then suddenly these PEVs, which factually better in every way (more compact, more convenient, less maintenance, faster, and can travel longer without sweating), start popping up all the sudden. It will hard for them to admit it that's why we get the aggression from them such as "that's cheating" comment. They still want to think that they are more superior because of the hard work and money they put on their hobby but in reality it just that bicycle is obsolete vs PEVs.

I envision bike manufacturers putting out eBikes that are both commuter all-purpose bicycles and exercise bicycles, like this Luna Stealth Bike, but with the ability to recharge via the bicyclist's own power, so that the bicyclists can see how many watts he's burning, or conversely use it as an eBike.

A do it all bike.

In that regard, should the price be palatable, I can see almost all road bikes, regardless of components, becoming entirely obsoly, because now you go as fast as you want/dare, or exercise as much as you want (with a watt meter to keep you honest), and those two don't have to be related to each other. That's what drop handlebars were invented; to reduce drag, but now with eBikes no such feature is needed.