Add speed lock to KingSong wheel?

null

I'm about to order a KS16S to use in Norway, where regulations limit PEVs to 20km/h firmware locked.
While this is utterly ridiculous and even dangerous, I'll have to comply. There are probably about 3 EUCs in the whole country and cops are strict with unimportant things.

Are there any ways to add a speed limit as it exists in certain countries? I've seen it can be code unlocked, is the opposite operation possible? This might be useful to anyone importing, or simply having an unlocked wheel and want to ride on public road.

Thanks for any tips!

7 hours ago, Mimolette said:

I'm about to order a KS16S to use in Norway, where regulations limit PEVs to 20km/h firmware locked.
While this is utterly ridiculous and even dangerous, I'll have to comply. There are probably about 3 EUCs in the whole country and cops are strict with unimportant things.

Are there any ways to add a speed limit as it exists in certain countries? I've seen it can be code unlocked, is the opposite operation possible? This might be useful to anyone importing, or simply having an unlocked wheel and want to ride on public road.

Thanks for any tips!

There is no practical wheel that comply to those regulations (don't take me literal here...), as long as you behave and doesn't endanger anyone, you'll be left alone.
Unsure if you're norwegian or not, or otherwise get this "phrase", but Kardemommeloven is a good rule of thumb :)

As I own 3 wheels (one learner and two I use), and I know of at least 2 more with at least two wheels each, your claim must be untrue :P;)
I haven't had any issues with the police, and I've ridden past a big policestation several times, and passed, or been passed, by police several times.

Thanks @Olav yes Norwegian here :) 

Agreed there is basically no device that would fit "impossible to user unlock" considering how much firmwares are tinkered.

I'm mostly used to latin+ road conditions, which are mostly anarchy, so onkel politi seem very strict to me.
Good values in Kardemomme 
loven, and glad to hear there is some slack. I'll keep the wheel locked if shipped like that, but the security of getting out of a risky situation at more than 20km/h would have been nice.

Edited by Mimolette
  • Upvote 1

I also live in Norway, with 3 wheels. I have ridden for 3 years now, and have never had any issues. I think if you ride carefully and dont pass pedestrians at max speed, you should be just fine. I havent heard about anybody having any issues. I dont like all these youtube videos showing people riding like maniacs in traffic, sooner or later there will be accidents and these devices will get more attention. 

• Upvote 1

Another viking with three wheels here and no problems with the police so far.
Like the others I would say you are safe as long as you are following the Kardemommeloven. Hopefully all do, so the EUCs will continue to be legal.

The KS14M is limited to 20km/h, so this one is actually fully legal in Norway. Still, I don't recommend it with only 174Wh battery.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rolauk said:

I also live in Norway, with 3 wheels. I have ridden for 3 years now, and have never had any issues. I think if you ride carefully and dont pass pedestrians at max speed, you should be just fine. I havent heard about anybody having any issues. I dont like all these youtube videos showing people riding like maniacs in traffic, sooner or later there will be accidents and these devices will get more attention. 

This is a big concern for me as well, and people who doesn't like these things (for whatever reason) will have a field day (Listhaug and Rinkeby comes to mind...).

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info on the state of the kingdom, reassuring they probably won’t nitpick if I stay within limits.

Cool to hear there are several of us, makes for some presence in case of newer regulations.

As for « bad » riders they are ruining it for everyone. I get riding fast and agressive is fun, just don’t do it shaving past pedestrians who’s next move you don’t know.

• Upvote 1

I've been riding in Trondheim, Norway for years.
No problems with law enforcement so far, but I do take alternative paths if I see them early enough. Better safe than sorry.

Since we have so many Norwegians in this thread, I'll have to ask. Anyone riding in/around Trondheim?

• 3 weeks later...

Hei alle sammen!

To get back on topic; it seems the new Kingsong apps resetting the speed lock is linked to the wheel being bound to an account, hence by doing “unbind” or using a new device without login to connect to the wheel it might reset the lock.

I ended up leaving it unlocked though, 20km/h in the city ok (even though school kids race past me in bicycles), but for riding 50km around a lake with no one around it gets a bit ridiculous.