ninebot z10 battery #2: abnormal communication

Alexandre Borgmann

@Alexandre Borgmann I have come to the conclusion that a full battery replacement is the only option we have to fix this issue. The BMS control board is the problem with our wheels and it is located inside the battery. It can't be replaced on its own. You have to buy a new battery pack to solve the issue. I will likely sell mine in the near future to get what I can out of it. This hobby is extremely fun but I can't deal with the Chinese monopoly on warranty and repair parts. 

• Like 1

As it sounds like you are at the point of zero other options, would it not be possible to just replace the BMS with a 3rd party unit? There are many made. The only problem I could see is if Ninebot have some sort of special communication protocol with the BMS but I don't know 100% if this is the case. I would assume not, given that the Russian lads built a big battery with a 3rd party BMS for the Z6, which I believe has the same motherboard as the Z10.

• Like 1

I am not suggesting that you use a 3rd party BMS specifically made for the Z10. Just any suitable BMS that caters for 14s6p configuration. I have had several Ebike batteries made with various cells and generic BMS'. As I say, the only problem will be if the Z BMS 'talks' to the Z motherboard in some coded way, but I suspect it doesn't.

I am aware of the differences between the Z6 and Z10 batteries. As regards to not being able to upgrade a Z10 battery again I do not see why this would be a problem unless as I said earlier, the Z BMS's are 'locked' to the motherboard somehow. In any event, a Z10 motherboard would have no idea whether the cells fitted were 1000mah or 3500mah so there is always a way to upgrade any wheel (unless it comes stock with the very highest mah cells available - unlikely).

I doubt anyone has actually done it to a Z10 yet simply because the cost (prob around £650) of squeezing out an extra 410Wh just wouldn't be worth it to most people, especially given that the stock battery packs are unlikely to be severely damaged/past their best at this point in time.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 9:56 AM, Girth Brooks said:

@Alexandre Borgmann I have come to the conclusion that a full battery replacement is the only option we have to fix this issue. The BMS control board is the problem with our wheels and it is located inside the battery. It can't be replaced on its own. You have to buy a new battery pack to solve the issue. I will likely sell mine in the near future to get what I can out of it. This hobby is extremely fun but I can't deal with the Chinese monopoly on warranty and repair parts. 

I also like a lot of unicycle electric but for the money invested and problems I had without technical assistance I am thinking and not invest or buy new models.

• Like 1