Broken Pedal

gon2fast

6 hours ago, Smoother said:

Structurally, that pedal is upside down; all the strength is in the bottom surface, and almost no strength is in place to prevent the top plane (can't call it a surface because there isn't one) from simply peeling away under load.

Like @meepmeepmayer stated, it would have cost almost nothing to make the top of the pedal strong enough for it's intended purpose.  I honestly don't know what these designers are thinking with, because it certainly isn't their heads.  The arrogance audacity and ineptitude to put such a flawed design, in such a safety critical role, into production, is breathtaking.

The manufacturer really needs to put safety first.

Their design is way flawed.

Yes change your pedals out to Gotway Monster pedals if they fit, those work and never cracked on me.

Glad you were going slow and were able to step off.

Could you imagine this happening at say 50+ kph?!

We are NOT you guinea pigs!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steven D Wheeler said:

Yes change your pedals out to Gotway Monster pedals if they fit, those work and never cracked on me.

Do you mean these ones?

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

The MSuper pedals is formed of a solid block of metal, would be the better choice out there.  

This is what Jason recommended.  I, have no opinion, just trying to keep the facts at the forefront of the discussion.

Edited by Smoother

3 days after the incident I have extreme pain in my right foot (feels like a nasty sprain across the top of my foot), moderate pain in my left foot/ankle (the left foot hit the ground then rolled, thank goodness it is rubber from basketball injuries) and moderate/extreme pain in my lower back. I am starting to think that I should have taken the fall rather than fighting to stay upright. 

When I were doing trampoline jumping in school, we wete tought not to land the impossible but rather tumble to keep the momentum as next in line would be comming right after you. It was like a team show jumping. So it was important to get out of the way fast.

It still sits in me. So I believe it helped me when I crashed about 2 weeks ago.

On 4/9/2019 at 6:07 AM, gon2fast said:

3 days after the incident I have extreme pain in my right foot (feels like a nasty sprain across the top of my foot), moderate pain in my left foot/ankle (the left foot hit the ground then rolled, thank goodness it is rubber from basketball injuries) and moderate/extreme pain in my lower back. I am starting to think that I should have taken the fall rather than fighting to stay upright. 

You'l never know what might have happened if you did take the fall.  I have been forced to step off hundreds dozens  a few times with no ankle injuries to date, but there's some luck in that, and it's not the same as a pedal dropping out from under you with no warning.  I don't think you had a choice; it's an automatic nervous system reaction to recover ones footing after a stumble, the message doesn't even get to the brain before the legs are doing their thing. We are after all just like an EUC; push us in any direction and we accelerate to keep the contact patch under the mass.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, gon2fast said:

3 days after the incident I have extreme pain in my right foot

I think you should consider to go for an x-ray then (meaning: a proper diagnose), in particular if putting weight on your foot aggravates the pain. You can self-treat a sprained or ruptured ligament, but if you do this with a broken ankle you have some reasonably good chance to never walk pain free again.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

Obligatory "go see a doctor" post:efee96588e:

See Marty's latest crash. It was slowly getting better, but after months of "not quite good yet" turns out there was more damage than he thought. You might prevent nasty long-term consequences by just going to a doctor right away instead of delaying the inevitable. It's your feet, any preventable problem there should not be dismissed!

• Like 1

My co-pay is far too high, lol. Seriously though, better safe than sorry folks. I work in healthcare IS, radiology/cardiology specific, so my imaging was completed over the weekend and the results have come back without fractures or major soft tissue damage so that is good.

Now to deal with the business of warrantying the part(s)...

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I work in healthcare IS, radiology/cardiology specific, so my imaging was completed over the weekend and the results have come back without fractures or major soft tissue damage so that is good.

Well that was "slightly" handy.

I got the final word from InMotion concerning the warranty on the pedals. Long story short, They are not warrantying the pedals, but I have the option to purchase a new pair (LOL). I can't stand behind a company who would have their product fail in a way that could lead to massive injury or death and then does not even acknowledge that they may have a(nother) flaw in their design.

Larger riders beware.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I got the final word from InMotion concerning the warranty on the pedals. Long story short, They are not warrantying the pedals, but I have the option to purchase a new pair (LOL). I can't stand behind a company who would have their product fail in a way that could lead to massive injury or death and then does not even acknowledge that they may have a(nother) flaw in their design.

Larger riders beware.  

That is incredibly short sighted customer service.  For the wholesale cost of a pair of pedals they could have come out of this with some respect, and intact future sales.  I've heard of  Kingsong and Gotway replacing entire motor assemblies to be compatible with a (required warranty replacement) control board; and these jokers can't spring for a pair of pedals?

I'm not sure anyone reading this thread (or will read this thread) will be putting an Incomotion wheel at the top of their list. I've only just recently started paying attention to their line up.  I guess I can give that a rest now.  Not interested. Epic Fail.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

That's ridiculous, I would have thought that they don't even have a choice, legally speaking, at least that's how it is here :(

Edited by Mono

Just now, Mono said:

That's ridiculous, I would have thought that they don't even have a choice, at least that's how it is here :(

They just have to say the part was abused, or stressed outside its design perimeters, not a warranty claim.

14 minutes ago, Smoother said:

They just have to say the part was abused, or stressed outside its design perimeters, not a warranty claim.

Then the question becomes who has to prove what. IIRC in the EU the burden of proof in the first year of warranty is basically on the seller. But of course it's annoying either way, if the seller refuses to act upon it.

Edited by Mono

Guest PogArt Artur
47 minutes ago, DanCar said:

On the plus side inMotion only charged me something like $20 for pedals from their website, where as some new york distributor wanted $100 for the same pedals.

At least some keen gesture towards you...

I'm feel sorry to read your experience...

7 hours ago, Eric Lin said:

Hi, my name is Eric, from Inmotion HQ. We are sorry for what happened to you and your V10, we would like to send you new pair of pedals, could you pls get in touch with me by wechat or maybe whatsapp or email? 

Wechat: eric6685  

Whatsapp/phone: +8613416126685  

Email: eric@imscv.com

Look forward to hear you soon.

Eric, you deserve a pat on the back.