Mten3 first wheel and recommendations

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Congrat's on getting this wheel. It's certainly very different than other wheels, but just give it time. The Mten3 requires much less leg and foot movement to make things happen. It's more about shifting your entire body and twisting. The sensation is that the wheel reads your mind since so little is required to make things happen (for the 360's, pirouettes, pendulums, etc.).

I run my tire pressure at the max listed on the side of the tire (I'm about the same weight as you). The higher pressure makes it even easier to turn the wheel without thinking. Odd, I have zero difficulties measuring and filling the air on mine. Not sure why you are having troubles?

Strange on my tyre max pressure is 30 psi and 70kg :o

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LucasD said:

Strange on my tyre max pressure is 30 psi and 70kg :o

My original Mten3 tire does list 30-psi. My new grippier tire lists 36-psi.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I changed to the new tyre. It was very hard, I think without silicone lube I would not be able to do it.

Afterwards I put slime STR, but instead of 60 ml (2oz), I put 120ml. I hope it is OK.

I saw somebody recommending 40psi for the new tyre, maybe it is too much. What pressure are you running there?

Finally, the new tyre seem slightly more better at speed,  but much more manoeuvrable. However, under acceleration so far I had some instability issues...

2 hours ago, LucasD said:

Finally, the new tyre seem slightly more better at speed,  but much more manoeuvrable. However, under acceleration so far I had some instability issues...

Based on this alone, I would decrease the pressure. Now that you have so much Slime in there, make sure that the valve is not at the bottom of the rim when taking air out. Having the wheel on it’s side should be ok, but I would wait for half a minute or so for the Slime to flow down before letting air out.

Yesterday I changed to the new tyre. It was very hard, I think without silicone lube I would not be able to do it.

Any EUC tire would be very hard or impossible to remove without some kind of lube. As always, proper tools and techniques can make an impossible job even an easy one: not everyone knows to utilize the center groove in the rim, or proper (fe. steel core) tire irons. The tubeless tire sure has it’s own quirks as well.

• Like 1

Afterwards I put slime STR, but instead of 60 ml (2oz), I put 120ml. I hope it is OK.

I saw somebody recommending 40psi for the new tyre, maybe it is too much. What pressure are you running there?

Soaking the tire in hot soapy water made it very easy to change my Mten3 tire. I believe I have ~4-ounces of Slime in mine.

40-psi in the Mten3 is extremely high. I believe I max out at ~35, which is listed as the maximum pressure on the side of the tire. But if it works for you, then ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Soaking the tire in hot soapy water made it very easy to change my Mten3 tire. I believe I have ~4-ounces of Slime in mine.

40-psi in the Mten3 is extremely high. I believe I max out at ~35, which is listed as the maximum pressure on the side of the tire. But if it works for you, then ....

I have to add I was able to do it with bike levers and one short 5-7 cm flat metal wrench. With motorbike levers and with Dow/ Molykote 111 silicone it would be snap ;) 

Before I was riding with lower pressure around 35 psi I think , but read that type II prefers higher. Will try nest time with lower pressure.

Did you adjust tyre pressure going from old tyre to a new one?

Edited by LucasD
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LucasD said:

I have to add I was able to do it with bike levers and one short 5-7 cm flat metal wrench. With motorbike levers and with Dow/ Molykote 111 silicone it would be snap ;) 

Before I was riding with lower pressure around 35 psi I think , but read that type II prefers higher. Will try nest time with lower pressure.

Did you adjust tyre pressure going from old tyre to a new one?

I don't think so. I certainly prefer the Mten3 with high pressure because it's so much easier to spin around, etc. I usually always go with whatever is listed as the max pressure on the side of the tire.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 7:11 PM, Marty Backe said:

I don't think so. I certainly prefer the Mten3 with high pressure because it's so much easier to spin around, etc. I usually always go with whatever is listed as the max pressure on the side of the tire.

Tried today with 36 psi down from 40 (the older one was about 34) and it is certainly improvment. Still quite manuverable but more stable and better at handling bad road compared to old one. Also it seems my knee are not so painful afterwards, but this may be fluke.

• Like 1

WOW I just tried NNikola pedals on Mten3. What a difference, it really change the behaviour of the wheel. Greatly improves stability and performance in offroad.

New tyre was improvment and pedals are once or twice of that one.

I would say Marty that when your nikola is disassembled put pedals one mten3 and feel the difference.

I also installed trolley, easier to move, but looks worse and so far did not like the feeling of trolley during braking etc.

pedal2.jpg

pedal1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LucasD said:

WOW I just tried NNikola pedals on Mten3. What a difference, it really change the behaviour of the wheel. Greatly improves stability and performance in offroad.

New tyre was improvment and pedals are once or twice of that one.

I would say Marty that when your nikola is disassembled put pedals one mten3 and feel the difference.

I also installed trolley, easier to move, but looks worse and so far did not like the feeling of trolley during braking etc.

pedal1.jpg

I guess how I ride the Mten3 (never more then a handful of miles at a stretch) the small pedals don't bother. The Nikola ones do look huge in comparison.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I guess how I ride the Mten3 (never more then a handful of miles at a stretch) the small pedals don't bother. The Nikola ones do look huge in comparison.

It is not even about comfort, but the control and shock absorption is improved greatly...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Couple of questions:

• Are there any downsides to this mod? If there are none, I wonder why the mten3's don't come stock with them.
  • Are these the best pedals? If so, where can I pick up a set?

If you're scraping your pedals now and you put these pedals on, you'll be digging trenches :lol:

That's the only downside - pedal scraping if you're a pedal scraper.

1 minute ago, chrisjunlee said:

Next level: take off pedals. Vise grip the side with the sheer power of your leg adductors!

:roflmao:

Be sure to video this :popcorn:

Speaking of mods. 

I can just see @Rehab1 modding a couch with 4x Mten3s, one in each corner as legs and "couching" to the coffee shop. @Rehab1 modding skills are legendary 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

If you're scraping your pedals now and you put these pedals on, you'll be digging trenches :lol:

That's the only downside - pedal scraping if you're a pedal scraper.

IMO there is almost no difference in pedal scraping. Actually they are higher, but as they are wider, the total lean is I think around 2 cm lower, but it is hard to measure.

Downsides Nikola just come out, the best Gotway pedals so far, so people are mounting it elsewhere. On mten3 they look slightly like a bigger brother trousers...

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 2:29 PM, LucasD said:

Thanks Marty (BTW you are the main reason I got mten3).

I got mine from greenwheel store on ali (seems recommended on forum).

So I assume it will be tubeless, good to know :) It is not advertised though. How should I recognise tubeless valve? By the rubber around metal valve?

For slime I think you need different type if tube or tubeless. Also do you know how to get it in europe?

P.S> Saw some recommend new tyre, is it really that big of improvement compared to stock? If it was not tubeless I would change otherwise not sure...

Yes, Marty's reviews and expertise are a great resource when selecting and getting the most out of your wheel.  Congrats on one of the funnest wheels out, just wait until you start riding You'll be hooked!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, myfunwheel said:

Yes, Marty's reviews and expertise are a great resource when selecting and getting the most out of your wheel.  Congrats on one of the funnest wheels out, just wait until you start riding You'll be hooked!!!

Already do and it is fun ;) and quite capable in light off-road conditions (no big stones or roots).