Mten3 first wheel and recommendations

Hi,

Thanks for the forum I finally decided to order new Mten3 (still waiting ;( ), other contestants where i5 IPS (love form not spec) and KS14D/S (but size win).

I see a lot of love for this wheel and read quite a few topics with overall confusing info.

So I wanted to check few facts and others tip are welcome:

• What pressure I should put in the wheel. I weight (bare) 70-75kg.
  • Tubeless - are new wheel tubeless already or need to be converted? If with tube is slime is needed and where to buy it in EU/ DE?
  • Handle do you think it is necessary and if  yes which one should I get?
  • Which app for iphone?
  • Which setting you recommend for the wheel?
  • Any other tips are welcom

Thanks,

LucasD

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LucasD said:

Hi,

Thanks for the forum I finally decided to order new Mten3 (still waiting ;( ), other contestants where i5 IPS (love form not spec) and KS14D/S (but size win).

I see a lot of love for this wheel and read quite a few topics with overall confusing info.

So I wanted to check few facts and others tip are welcome:

• What pressure I should put in the wheel. I weight (bare) 70-75kg.
  • Tubeless - are new wheel tubeless already or need to be converted? If with tube is slime is needed and where to buy it in EU/ DE?
  • Handle do you think it is necessary and if  yes which one should I get?
  • Which app for iphone?
  • Which setting you recommend for the wheel?
  • Any other tips are welcom

Thanks,

LucasD

Gotway has been shipping the Mten3's without tubes for a long time. But it kind of depends where you got. When you look at the valve stem you'll know instantly whether it has a tube. I still ride mine with a tube.

Even without a tube I would put Slime in it. I put Slime in my tubeless Z10.

Pressure is very personal. I run my Mten3 with the max pressure listed on the side of the tire.

The lastest Gotway app will work fine on all of the Gotway wheels. Experiment with the three different pedal modes to see what you like. Again, very personal.

I love having a trolley handle on mine because I can take it into stores with me when I'm running errands. There is a video on my channel which shows how I adapted a trolley to it. Click on my Mten3 Playlist to find it.

Welcome to the Mten3 club :cheers:

• Like 3

Thanks Marty (BTW you are the main reason I got mten3).

I got mine from greenwheel store on ali (seems recommended on forum).

So I assume it will be tubeless, good to know :) It is not advertised though. How should I recognise tubeless valve? By the rubber around metal valve?

For slime I think you need different type if tube or tubeless. Also do you know how to get it in europe?

P.S> Saw some recommend new tyre, is it really that big of improvement compared to stock? If it was not tubeless I would change otherwise not sure...

Edited by LucasD
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, LucasD said:

Thanks Marty (BTW you are the main reason I got mten3).

I got mine from greenwheel store on ali (seems recommended on forum).

So I assume it will be tubeless, good to know :) It is not advertised though. How should I recognise tubeless valve? By the rubber around metal valve?

For slime I think you need different type if tube or tubeless. Also do you know how to get it in europe?

P.S> Saw some recommend new tyre, is it really that big of improvement compared to stock? If it was not tubeless I would change otherwise not sure...

The stock tire and the one I replaced it with are both tubeless. I do like the feel of the new tire, but I rode hundreds of miles on the original tire. I have a video about the tire and I believe that I said it's not a night-and-day difference. I'd stick with the stock one and maybe change down the road if you want to try something a little different.

Yes, the tubeless tire has valve stem that is sealed to the rim of the motor.

I suspect it's not super-critical, but if I can, I'll used the Slime that is formulated for tubeless wheels. It's just a preventative measure. The Mten3 isn't a long distance wheel anyway, so it you did get a flat, just get a ride home and then put the Slime in (~4-ounces) to fix the leak.

I bought my Mten3 from the same store. Took about 30-days to get it if I remember.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of Slime (that is supposed to be added every 12 months because of drying up), I use the latex-free UK-manufactured ”Goop”. Recommended for both tubed and tubeless tires. Commonly available at Ebay.co.uk.

Practically it’s supposed to do the exact same thing as Slime.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Instead of Slime (that is supposed to be added every 12 months because of drying up), I use the latex-free UK-manufactured ”Goop”. Recommended for both tubed and tubeless tires. Commonly available at Ebay.co.uk.

Practically it’s supposed to do the exact same thing as Slime.

I will say that I've seen no evident of the Slime actually drying up. I replace the tube on one wheel that had been in use for over a year, and the Slime seemed to be in great condition.

But clearly there are many comparable products to pick from.

• Like 1

Slime tubeless is using artificial latex so should not dry too. Though some say you can add little water to liven it.

Whereas I saw a lot of opinions that Stan or Orange seal is better at sealing, but the lifetime is 3 to 6 months at most, so I would stick with Slime. Goop though look very similar to slime...

Good test here 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LucasD said:

Slime tubeless is using artificial latex so should not dry too. 

Didn’t know that. I thought the instructions tells you to add more liquid after 12 months or so.

29 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Didn’t know that. I thought the instructions tells you to add more liquid after 12 months or so.

The last time I looked at Slime instructions, it only says that it's "good" for 2-years. I believe on their FAQ they say that 2-years is a conservative value and that it most likely will be effective long after that.

It's mostly driven by how often you are pumping air into your tube. Some of my wheels barely lose any air. If no air is escaping the tube, then I don't see how Slime (or anything else) can "dry out".

• Like 1

I think my disrespect towards Slime has been wrongly targeted. I remembered it to be one of those ”add every 12 months” kinds.

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't see how Slime (or anything else) can "dry out".

In the comparison video above, a small amount of the substances is left bare on a glass table to dry out. And they definitely do. Perhaps there is enough air in a tire to make the stuff dry out, if it has a tendency of doing so in free air.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I think my disrespect towards Slime has been wrongly targeted. I remembered it to be one of those ”add every 12 months” kinds.

In the comparison video above, a small amount of the substances is left bare on a glass table to dry out. And they definitely do. Perhaps there is enough air in a tire to make the stuff dry out, if it has a tendency of doing so in free air.

Perhaps. But I have personally seen the condition of Slime after being in an EUC tire for a year, and it looked perfect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

For sure Slime is water based, so it can (and will) dry out when left open to outside, dry air. Water will just evaporate. But when closed inside a tube, there is no way to dry out. Slime doesn't dry up just because there is air; it doesn't harden in a way known from some types of glue. Rather it will clog the hole thanks to fibers that are part of Slime formulation.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I finally received my Mten3 from Ali, yet I see some scratches on the wheel plate. I wrote to seller and he told me to use use black marker to fix it. It is a new item so I am somewhat dissapointed :huh: especially after long wait. 

Can I ask you for advice whether I should open dispute on Ali and if so what kind of settlement I should request?

IMG_5322.jpg

• Like 2

Considering that it appears to be cosmetic I would just go with the flow and enjoy the wheel. The scratches will never be seen where they are. You should see what my motor looks like after a few hundred miles.

I can't imagine getting any kind of resolution from China.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LucasD said:

I finally received my Mten3 from Ali, yet I see some scratches on the wheel plate. I wrote to seller and he told me to use use black marker to fix it.

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Considering that it appears to be cosmetic I would just go with the flow and enjoy the wheel. The scratches will never be seen where they are. 

My Mten 3 arrived last year with some cosmetic scratches as well. Marty is correct as it’s only cosmetic. Yes it sucks but your wheel will develop numerous scratches in time. What Ali suggested using a black marker actually works. 

47868181841_86c16a23c0_b.jpg

• Like 3

A 2 cent about slime (or similar product).... 

There is no must about such product on any wheel, however.... 

Some like it in case of.... 

Others is applied if it happens (a puncture).... 

My personal opinion is after trying it on my first wheel (inmotion v8) I am not doing that again as a precaution. 

It added more mass to the tyre that I didn't like the feeling of in the v8s behaviour afterwards. Now the V8 is a fairly light wheel... and I could have done something wrong but I doubt that. 

My suggest is to ride the wheel first before adding or modding it. 

As for the scratches, it sucks but a "proper cc wheel do get some "personality" especially when learning to ride. 

It is also a part to look back at next year getting memory and a laugh of the learning process 😉

• Upvote 1

I see some play in pedals, checked screws but they are tight. Is it normal, maybe adding spacer is a good idea?

P.S. I added slime XTR (before post above), I think recommended amount is 60ml but ended with 80-100ml.

Ironically, because of design of bottle, the small hole get closed by slime almost at once. next time I think I will cut it more open...

1 hour ago, LucasD said:

I see some play in pedals, checked screws but they are tight. Is it normal, maybe adding spacer is a good idea?

Most pedals, even wobbly ones, are solid once they have the rider’s weight on top. Adding spacers is fine if they bother you when you are not riding. I did that to the MSX, as the pedals had a large amount of forward-backwards play, and a cheapening rattle when opened.

• Like 1

Today I learned that balancing EUC by tilting it is a bad idea, must be straight. Afterwards riding became easier ;)

Also, I see in gotway app a different LED setting any idea what they are, or what is preferred? Currently, I have wrapped to limit damage, so can't check easily... 

I have a question about a feet position on Mten3. To be precise, how forward/ central are you placing a feet and also do you keep it up against a chassis or centred on pedal?

Maybe a photo from top would be helpful.

Also, rIght now I can ride so-so in straight line, but at slightly faster speed I get wheel wobble, not sure why. Any tips?

29 minutes ago, LucasD said:

I have a question about a feet position on Mten3. To be precise, how forward/ central are you placing a feet and also do you keep it up against a chassis or centred on pedal?

Maybe a photo from top would be helpful.

Also, rIght now I can ride so-so in straight line, but at slightly faster speed I get wheel wobble, not sure why. Any tips?

This might sound counter intuitive but riding loose actually get rid the speed wobble for me. My medial malleolus (the round ball-like on the inner part of your ankle) never touch the body of the EUC. Also I tried to put my heel as closed to the center axis of the wheel as possible without losing balance, leaving my toes hanging free.

I think you can only do this when you are really comfortable with your wheel. When I was starting, I was clutching the chassis tight with my ankles and put the middle of my feet dead center on the wheel axis. I'm feeling safer in this stance when I was learning but also too tense.

Edited by Kens
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Kens said:

This might sound counter intuitive but riding loose actually get rid the speed wobble for me. My medial malleolus (the round ball-like on the inner part of your ankle) never touch the body of the EUC. Also I tried to put my heel as closed to the center axis of the wheel as possible without losing balance, leaving my toes hanging free.

I think you can only do this when you are really comfortable with your wheel. When I was starting, I was clutching the chassis tight with my ankles and put the middle of my feet dead center on the wheel axis. I'm feeling safer in this stance when I was learning but also too tense.

Well said :cheers:

My feet/ankles may bump the shell periodically, but for the most part are not touching. I don't think too much about where my feet are on the pedals, but generally they are centered (toes and heals are hanging off the pedals).

• Like 2

Might as well post in this existing thread, got my MTen3 yesterday and have been riding for a bit :) Quite different from the Tesla, but quite similar too.

Tried to get some idea of what to pump the tire to based on internet posts, it's tubeless, I think I have it around 32psi for my 170lb weight.  Checking the air pressure and filling the tubeless 10" is a pain in the ass compared to the Tesla.  We'll see if it ends up leaking air and what pressure I end up preferring.

Going over bumps and such is not as bad as I expected; may be due to lower tire pressure compared to the Tesla (which I have around 44psi).

I can carve it like the Tesla, but it prefers doing that at a much lower speed.  Accelerating and traversing hills is really nice.

I've gotten somewhat used to turning, but it will take a long time to master (if ever).  I have a habit of keeping my outside leg straight, which keeps the wheel upright as I turn.  I can break out of the habit and make sharper turns than the Tesla, but I still chicken out of the really sharp turns that I want to be able to do.  360's, pirouettes, transitioning quickly from forward to reverse while going in the same direction, figure-skating type stuff that I see super-talented people do on youtube :)

I really like this wheel.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Meelosh123 said:

Might as well post in this existing thread, got my MTen3 yesterday and have been riding for a bit :) Quite different from the Tesla, but quite similar too.

Tried to get some idea of what to pump the tire to based on internet posts, it's tubeless, I think I have it around 32psi for my 170lb weight.  Checking the air pressure and filling the tubeless 10" is a pain in the ass compared to the Tesla.  We'll see if it ends up leaking air and what pressure I end up preferring.

Going over bumps and such is not as bad as I expected; may be due to lower tire pressure compared to the Tesla (which I have around 44psi).

I can carve it like the Tesla, but it prefers doing that at a much lower speed.  Accelerating and traversing hills is really nice.

I've gotten somewhat used to turning, but it will take a long time to master (if ever).  I have a habit of keeping my outside leg straight, which keeps the wheel upright as I turn.  I can break out of the habit and make sharper turns than the Tesla, but I still chicken out of the really sharp turns that I want to be able to do.  360's, pirouettes, transitioning quickly from forward to reverse while going in the same direction, figure-skating type stuff that I see super-talented people do on youtube :)

I really like this wheel.

Congrat's on getting this wheel. It's certainly very different than other wheels, but just give it time. The Mten3 requires much less leg and foot movement to make things happen. It's more about shifting your entire body and twisting. The sensation is that the wheel reads your mind since so little is required to make things happen (for the 360's, pirouettes, pendulums, etc.).

I run my tire pressure at the max listed on the side of the tire (I'm about the same weight as you). The higher pressure makes it even easier to turn the wheel without thinking. Odd, I have zero difficulties measuring and filling the air on mine. Not sure why you are having troubles?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Odd, I have zero difficulties measuring and filling the air on mine. Not sure why you are having troubles?

It came with an adapter I need to screw in first; just an extra step :lol: 

• Like 2