Riding mode

monocle

I'm a new rider, so perhaps this makes less sense to me than to more experienced folks, but would someone please help me understand the "riding mode" parameter on the King Song (in my case, 16s)?

My guess is that this refers to the onset time of braking and acceleration relative to balance changes. Naively I'm having a hard time understanding why the "learner mode" would be good for anything since it seems to imply an excessive delay between when one changes position and the wheel's response. But maybe it's a personal thing?

After about a week riding I just remembered that this parameter existed and have changed it from "learner" to "riding" but haven't given it a spin on that setting yet.

Wire 2019-04-04 at 14.08.41.png

Edited by monocle

Just don't pay attention to names... it is wrong. In fact it sounds be soft, middle soft, hard mode. And yes hard mode just give quicker response when you accelerate or slow down, when a soft mode is soft and you feel the time between action/reaction of the wheel (making it probably more easy for beginners...)

• Like 2

the ONLY reason why it would be good for a beginner is exactly what you said.. theres a delay.. learners make mistakes and arent nearly as able to control the vehicle and dont quite know how to react to a lot of situations, example nailing a curb at a decent speed.. hard mode might fling someone off who is inexperienced.. but soft mode is mushy and will softly rock and sway instead of staying rock solid.. personally i find anything but hard mode to be horrible, i want instant complete control and a reactive as possible wheel.. also why i always ride at max psi as i dont want any compensation or the wheel making up for my slack, thats no fun xD i would suggest to learn on whatever mode you plan to stick with depending on what type of ride you want as it would be very weird feeling if you were to learn on soft then switch to hard, would be almost like learning to ride a brand new wheel, as a beginner

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 3

As @Rywokast demonstrated, it is a personal thing. OTOH, Medium mode will require less angle and strain on your ankles. Then again, for off-roading most riders prefer the hard mode, as it will climb obstacles easier.

I’d start with Medium and try them thru every now and then to see if your preferred mode has changed.

In case you’re ever running very low, it’s worth knowing that the hard mode on 16S consumes slightly more battery. I couldn’t find a measurable difference between medium and soft modes.

• Like 2

I guess it is time to play around with ride mode. Up until now I have used expert/hard mode. I like rhe no lag response. But maybe medium would be less wearing on my knee.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Unventor said:

I guess it is time to play around with ride mode. Up until now I have used expert/hard mode. I like rhe no lag response. But maybe medium would be less wearing on my knee.

At a low speed, try switching modes while riding.  I'm serious.  I do it on my 16s and Your 18xl should behave the same.  When you switch you can feel the pedals stiffen or relax under your feet.  It's a very interesting sensation, but not dangerous at all (at low speeds), I experience no speed change at all.  I haven't tested it at higher speeds, maybe I will this week, if I remember. We're scheduled for some Meh! weather for a few days, and a ride in Meh! weather, becomes a Meh! ride, to me.

I tested medium mode to wrok which is a 1800meters ride on road, bikelane, temporary gravel pathway and paving stones. 

On Friday I added more air in my tire, and it felt a bit hard on my knees. 

But the medium made the ride sensation not as hard on my knee. 

I went on lunch to pick up a pizza and it still felt ok. I think I  keep this mode. Atleast for now.

I just had a ride for about 15km or 10miles. I am not really sure what to make of the medium mode. I think I would compare it as expert mode at sport mode and medium is kinda like city mode and I imagine the beginner mode would be cruising mode. 

I think it feels a bit more rapid in medium mode, maybe because I push the wheel a bit more. 

Anyway thank you to trigger me to test this @Smoother.

• Like 1

Im gonna play with the ride modes tomorrow. Ive been riding on hard (experienced) mode which I love, its snappy. But i also like some play. Also, yesterday riding down some shitty roads, my legs turned to jelly. You guys are saying on super bumps, like a garbo road, medium or even soft might be nice?

18 minutes ago, seage said:

Im gonna play with the ride modes tomorrow. Ive been riding on hard (experienced) mode which I love, its snappy. But i also like some play. Also, yesterday riding down some shitty roads, my legs turned to jelly. You guys are saying on super bumps, like a garbo road, medium or even soft might be nice?

It is difficult to explain.

I had a low tire pressure and on expect mode. The tire cushion but at risk for rim damage. Not as nimble to turn.

I added more tire pressure and lowered ride to medium. Wheel turns easier but force or feedback from wheel is more elastic. Tire feedback bumps more but wheels balance algoritm is now acting as cushion. I seem to be able to push wheel more so when it respond, it does it with more power.

What you prefer is a personal preference. I can't say which I prefer atleast not for now.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, seage said:

Some people think so. Others can't stand anything but extra crispy mode.  Try it out, no mode will bite you. BUT...give each mode a decent trial; not just a little idle and a few yards. I like all MY three modes, just like Marty likes all  his three four eight ten twelve wheels :D Each mode is a "different" wheel to me.

Edited by Smoother

• 3 years later...

As said above, there is the delay (I rode on learning mode for about 1-2 weeks).
Second thing is, if the battery is below 50% the max speed is reduced immediately on learning mode (I think to about 12.5 km/h). In riding mode the max speed reduces gradually. No idea what it does on expert mode. Haven't tried that yet.