Msuper 680wh V1.. I think..

routb3d

Hello there, I'm new to the forum and I'm buying a used Gotway Msuper off of CL tomorrow.

I'm not %100 what version this is V1 or V2, but it looks like a step up from my Ninebot E+

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/d/seattle-gotway-msuper-18-electric/6856610334.html

I have some questions that I would like help with prior to purchasing.

I'm 260 lbs. Will this work for me?

Can the batteries be replaced?

Is there an IOS app for this?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Isaiah

• Like 2

That posting doesn't appear to exist.

Since it is likely a very old wheel, finding replacement batteries could be a challenge.

I'm sure it'll be better than a E+, but I still wouldn't push it at your weight. Wheels have come a long way in 4+ years.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

Looks like the seller took the posting down after I agreed to buy.

Thanks for the opinions about the battery and the weight limitation. I'm on a pretty aggressive weight loss program, so I'm hoping to be closer to 230 lbs by summer.

Thanks

• Like 2

Even the old wheels are rideable and can bring a lot of fun as long as one remembers a few crucial things.

- Don’t try to start from behind an obstacle. Even just a good sized twig is known to fry a Mosfet on an old MSuper. Once you get even a bit of momentum, you’re fine.

- Many videos on Youtube feature riders with wheels up to 5 times as powerful as yours, yet weigh half of your weight. So you might not have more than a tenth of the performance reserve. Don’t try to ride like they do.

- Ease up for bumps, potholes, ledges and curbs. If you try to ride over an obstacle with stiff legs, you are asking a LOT from the wheel and will likely tumble pretty soon. An easy start is to keep your knees soft and decelerate for obstacles. Later on search for Youtube for tips on riding up curbs etc.

- You are a lot more likely to crash on your wheel than most riders. And if you do, you are more likely to sustain serious damage. Always wear at least wrist, elbow and knee guards, and a helmet. And ride sensibly.

Welcome to a greatly fun and addictive hobby!

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the good advice and incite people! Yesterday, I learned the hard way about wasting my NOOB privileges dropping hearts! If you don't hear from me, it's because I'm out of interactions on the forum. Hopefully I'll get more privileges soonish.

A few things before I commit this post.

I decided to go ahead and buy the Msuper. I figure that I cant go to wrong spending $200, and the Msuper should give me an idea about how serious I am about riding a more serious EUC.

I am concerned about my weight riding the Msuper, but I figure I'll have a chance to give it a shot tonight before I buy it. I'll try to take it up a slope and see if it feels wrong.

I'm still having trouble finding a lot of Info about the Wheel, so I'll post the screen cap of the CL ad, and hopefully someone can identify the wheel and maybe even let me know where I can find FW updates and people talking about the specific wheel in technical detail.

I'm wide open to information about your thoughts and opinions about my decision, so please, have at it. Keep in mind that I'm a 260lb guy with about 2 weeks of minimal experience on a ninebot E+. If you think I should pass on this, or you think it's an unmissable deal of a life time,  let me hear it!

EUC.JPG

• Like 2

This model was known as the tank for being almost indestructible.  It was the first long range wheel.  There are photos of modified versions being taken on thousand mile road trips to Tibet.  It's a solid wheel that you can't really go wrong with.  This was not meant to be a starter wheel, so it will likely still be pretty good if you don't have another newer version. 

I’d imagine it’s a great wheel to get in the game. The price is indeed a nice one. The ad seems legit, no red flags from me. Of course, there are a lot of things the seller can decide not to share, so again, expectations need be on the correct page. Would be good to know how many miles ridden.

Me and my 200lbs rode our first 3000km on a 340Wh Lhotz. Only one clear underpower related fall.

Gotway doesn’t allow the user to upgrade the firmware even on the newest models.

• Like 1

It's most likely a 2014/2015 MSuper V2 (I don't think any V1's ever ended up outside China? Very few were ever made to my knowledge), but can't tell which exact model, as there were three: high torque (28km/h max), "medium" or "mid" (something like 32-35km/h max) and "high speed" (around 40km/h max). Don't remember if they had tiltback, but at least I'm pretty sure that they shutdown if you go above the speed limit, so be careful.

The motor's nominal power is 1000W, and it was the highest powered wheel back then. The batteries are "normal" 16S (67.2V), with no communication with the mainboard, so they're easily replaceable.

The oldest Gotway -apps (only for Android) work with it, this is the wheel I made Wheelemetrics for originally (or more accurately, I made Wheelemetrics for Euc Extreme), to replace the crappy original app. Not that Wheelemetrics is much better really :D  The new apps won't work, the connection in these is BT 2.0 serial, new wheels use BT 4 LE.

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2

Once again, thanks for all of the good info and thoughts. 

I drove to Seattle and bought the wheel. I just finished my first rides on it, tooling around the house and getting used to it. The MSuper feels great compared to my E+. I like the peddles a lot more, and I actually like the bulky top as something to grab on to with my legs.

The sale went smooth accept for 1 missing piece of info that was pulled out at the last minute.

The 4th battery charge LED no longer turns on after a full charge. At first I thought that the LED may have been damaged or burned out, but we noticed that it would flick on for a second when the wheel was first turned on. I have no idea what this means and how much of a charge the wheel is actually getting.

I need to find an android phone and  an old version of GW software that still works with the MSuper V2 so that I can see how much of a charge I’m actually getting.

EFF24820-ED49-4425-856A-D312AAA7822C.jpeg

• Like 1

Two common reasons for not charging to full are a bad charger, or a dead battery cell (pair). If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage the charger is giving out while being connected only to the wall outlet. If it is close to 67.2, you likely have a dead battery cell.

If it is indeed a dead cell, the range is reduced quite a bit, but more importantly so is the output power of the battery. I had a dead cell in my 16S, and it didn't require much pushing to feel the difference. Be extra careful!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Two common reasons for not charging to full are a bad charger, or a dead battery cell (pair). If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage the charger is giving out while being connected only to the wall outlet. If it is close to 67.2, you likely have a dead battery cell.

If it is indeed a dead cell, the range is reduced quite a bit, but more importantly so is the output power of the battery. I had a dead cell in my 16S, and it didn't require much pushing to feel the difference. Be extra careful!

Thanks so much for the words of wisdom here.

I took the wheel for a spin today, and I have to say that the ride is fantastic! Super smooth and pleanty more power than my E+. I can’t wait to spend some more time riding, but I’m dying a little just knowing that my wheel is hindered due to battery issues. 

I really want to ride my MSuper in top shape.

I’ll check my charger right away, and Thanks so much  for the suggestion mrelwood. I really hope the problem is with the charger and not the battery. 

Even If the problem is with the battery, I think I’ll learn to fix or replace it, even if that means I have to learn to build a battery myself.

I tried to connect to the msuper and check the battery level, and I was able to get a Bluetooth connection, but Gotway’s latest Android app doesn’t connect.

I read that I’ll need an older version of the Gotway app to connect with an MSuper V2, and I recently found a Gotway FB page which had some old APKs, so I think I’ll try a few of those, but if anyone knows of an APK that definitely works, I’m all ears.

Thanks for the help. 

Isaiah

• Like 1

I figured I would update this thread since I decided to just go ahead and buy an MSX 84V new from a seller here in the forum.

Jacopo from wheel tech sold me my wheel at $1600 USD delivered!

I see how these wheels start stacking up in the house. After only 3 weeks of getting into the EUC, and I already have an E+, Msuper V2 and a MSX on the way. 

I still want to see if I can fix my used MSuper V2 just to have a good wheel to teach the Kiddos in my life, but I honestly think my MS V2 will work well enough as it is for that.

Over the weekend of riding, I was getting a max of %60 charge before the charger went green, and I could ride for about 8 miles leaving me with a charge of %20. The idle voltage dropped from 60.78 at %60 to 57.05 at %20 for what it's worth. I did notice the wheel beeping at me as I was trying to go up hills, and more so even on slow hills as the battery life decreased. I bet my new MSX wont do that! :)

I did find battery replacements from tech toys, but they wanted $700 and promptly offered me a new Msuper V2 for $845, which left me feeling like I had bought a real turkey, not worthy of fixing or buying new.

Most of all, I have thoroughly enjoyed the V2, learned to really let go and carve, learned to relax and lean into corners, and I finally experienced what it was like to forget about the wheel and just fly.

I knew pretty quickly that I needed to get something reliable, new and under warranty.

Thanks for all of the help guys! I'm totally stoked I found this forum, and looking forward to a lot of years rolling with the development of this fantastic activity.

If anyone happens upon this thread and has some advice or battery packs for the Msuper V2, please reply and I will be in touch.

Isaiah   

Edited by routb3d
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, routb3d said:

I bet my new MSX wont do that! :)

No, it sure won’t!

Wow, that escalated fast, as the saying goes. It sure seems like a battery cell is dead on the V2. I have replaced a dead cell on the 16S and rebuilt a whole 16S4P battery pack for my A3. It definitely can be done, but it is a lot of work, and requires a good amount of knowledge and care to be able to avoid shorting any cells. Considering that even a 16S4P battery pack on the heavy A3 can take a 200lbs guy well past 13km, there is a huge amount of energy stored in those cells! And choosing a suitable replacement cell is another issue altogether.

The MSX has one of the largest batteries and most powerful motor available. It is a perfect match for a guy of your stature. If the steep sideways angle on the pedals bothers you, it can be fixed by filing the pedal a bit. Other than that it’s just riding to learn the wheel behaviour.

Congrats on the upcoming wheel!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

No, it sure won’t!

Wow, that escalated fast, as the saying goes. It sure seems like a battery cell is dead on the V2. I have replaced a dead cell on the 16S and rebuilt a whole 16S4P battery pack for my A3. It definitely can be done, but it is a lot of work, and requires a good amount of knowledge and care to be able to avoid shorting any cells. Considering that even a 16S4P battery pack on the heavy A3 can take a 200lbs guy well past 13km, there is a huge amount of energy stored in those cells! And choosing a suitable replacement cell is another issue altogether.

The MSX has one of the largest batteries and most powerful motor available. It is a perfect match for a guy of your stature. If the steep sideways angle on the pedals bothers you, it can be fixed by filing the pedal a bit. Other than that it’s just riding to learn the wheel behaviour.

Congrats on the upcoming wheel!

Now that I seem to have unlimited interactions available to me in the forum, I thought I would post and say, “Thanks for confirming that I’m getting the right wheel!”. A little assurance is always nice after a big purchase.

I was being tempted by a few other wheels, but they all fell off the list until the msx and the Nikola were left.

It was pretty easy to select the msx over the Nikola. With limited reviews, we have no idea how the Nikola will be coming out of the gate, where as an msx manufactured in March of 2019 absolutely comes from an extremely refined production process. 

Thanks. :)

• Like 1

Can’t seem to stop replying...

2 hours ago, routb3d said:

an msx manufactured in March of 2019 absolutely comes from an extremely refined production process. 

Well... in a sense... but it is a Gotway, and they have their own priorities of which some remain a complete mystery to us western riders. There are a few things and aspects that are incomprehendably immature, to which the MSX having been in poduction closing in a year has done nothing at all. Just don’t expect to be receiving the pinnacle of modern design and technology, and the little kinks become quite easily manageable. I’d think of it more as a russian panzerwagen, though with a plastic shell.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

I own the same model and have done so for the last 3 years, I also bought it secondhand, my daughter (8 Years Old) and I have had good times on the tank riding around the local forest tracks, I also use it for commuting and dog walks. Sadly I am also experiencing battery drain and the tank doesn't feel as powerful as she used to. Riding up hills takes the battery indicator lights from 4 to 2. Sad times.  The V2 is a brilliant wheel and has been reliable for me when needed, the dogs have never been so fit. lol.

I would love to upgrade to MSX as you have done but my wallet says no.

Stay safe and have fun.

ATB mark.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:55 AM, Mark1976 said:

Hi there.

I own the same model and have done so for the last 3 years, I also bought it secondhand, my daughter (8 Years Old) and I have had good times on the tank riding around the local forest tracks, I also use it for commuting and dog walks. Sadly I am also experiencing battery drain and the tank doesn't feel as powerful as she used to. Riding up hills takes the battery indicator lights from 4 to 2. Sad times.  The V2 is a brilliant wheel and has been reliable for me when needed, the dogs have never been so fit. lol.

I would love to upgrade to MSX as you have done but my wallet says no.

Stay safe and have fun.

ATB mark.

Sad to hear that your tank is aging.

I decided to hang on to my V2 and keep an eye out for a battery solution that makes more sense than buying a new wheel.

Until then, I’ll be using my V2 for muddy camping fun, and to let others have a go at learning to wheel.

Let me know if you find a battery replacement solution. 

Edited by routb3d
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, jessgnzle90 said:

I have a ms v2 wheel, the control board burned, there is nothing to replace, any suggestions?

The way I see it, your choices are:

- Search for a new control board from EBay, AliExpress or such. Pretty slim chances though.

- Take the board to a friend that is experienced in repairing electronic circuit boards and hope for the best.

- Buy a new wheel.

Edited by mrelwood