Locking the EU

Hey there people,

I have thought about taking my EU to university but since it is really heavy to carry up and down for all the stairs and lectures I go.. I thought about parking it on bicycle parking lot with other bicycles and lock it with a chain... the problem is, since EU is a very rare vehicle to see in my area Im afraid people wil be curious and will play with the on/off button.

maybe someone here will come up with an idea of locking this button somehow? so no one could turn the EU on when I'm not there?

It may sound stupid but it will make me feel much better to leave it like that on the parking lot... :D

From what I've seen on my eucs the switch doesn't handle the full power that goes to the motor. It is too small so it must operate via a relay on the control board. This means you should be able to replace it with a key operated moped ignition switch or something similar without any problems.

Edited by Gimlet
  • Like 1

You can put something like this befor or after the build in switch:

http://www.dx.com/p/maitech-04060015-zinc-alloy-key-switch-silver-310701

This switch can be used as NC or NO, so nothing can go wrong if connected the right way.

Take one write from the build in switch to the key switch, then from the key switch to the build in switch a new wire. thats it!

• Like 1

Can be a pain in the neck to turn of the wheel all the times by the key-lock only! Specially if the wheel fall and you have to turn it off and on again!

Do NOT let the key in the lock during driving...you will lose it or break it!

Edited by ^tom^
  • Like 1

Do NOT let the key in the lock during driving...you will lose it or break it!

Point taken but most ignition type keys are locked into the lock whilst turned on and twisting it left and right to turn off and on again is just as simple as pushing the button twice to reset.

Well thanks for all your help guys, but as tom has mentioned - I am not looking for changing the button to a "start by key only" I am just looking for something to cover the button when needed..

and I think I found what I was looking for, now I just have to figure out an effective way of putting this on without drilling the device (with a glue or something I guess)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Plastic-Emergency-Push-Button-Switches-Black-Clear-Safety-Protector-Cover-Cap-22mm-Hole-Diameter/1067633218.html

Edited by Vadim
  • Upvote 1

• 5 years later...

I ride my wheel in the city and suburbs and Id prefer to not walk my wheel around with me in a store.  It gets in the way and just not ideal...  would make complete sense to have some kinda of feature that makes our wheel our own.

3 hours ago, lkystryke said:

would make complete sense to have some kinda of feature that makes our wheel our own.

Whatever you do, a new mainboard will make it a new wheel :D

I think the biggest advantage of EUC is the ability to bring it with you wherever you go?

Just thinking about leave the wheel outside and find out later some dog pee on it... hahaha...

5 minutes ago, Nachos said:

I'm surprised the app doesn't have an option prevent an unauthorized user from operating the device or does it?  Seems like a easy/inexpensive feature to implement. 

well.. they do lol, at least some... all inmotion wheels have this feature.. kingsong has a lock mechanism that will sound a hideous alarm if someone tries to turn it on (i think they still do it... just remembering years ago from my first 16S) and i believe third party apps offer something similar

word to the wise... if you are wanting to lock it up.. at least get something with a built in handle.. because flimsy trolley handles for a thief are laughable... however to get through a built in handle theyre going to be needing a hacksaw and cut through it slowly in public lol.. i know of several people who had wheels stolen.. some were not locked up at all.. alarm or not nothing stopping somebody from picking it up and walking away.. but also the trolley handles on kingsong wheels would be easy for a thief to break if they wanted to steal it.. i might also advise you to get a small gps tracker like some people have on their keys or whatever that you can either put inside the shell or stick to the inside of the body somewhere so if someone does happen to take it you can know the location.. personally i would never in a million years not take a wheel with me though

• Like 1